CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

Default Automatic Transmission Hard Shift from 1st to 2nd

It is only shifting hard from first to second. After that it is shifting as normal.

The car has 22 miles on it since my engine swap, and the transmission got its filter changed and new fluid while everything was out.

I'm thinking some of the crud built up from the old filter is just working its way out? Hoping it will clear up as I drove more.

Is there any risk of damage to the new engine with the transmission acting up? I don't want a $2,000 and 2 month investment to fail because I overlooked something.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

I dont think hard shifts will damage the engine.

What is the condition of the trans fluid now? Is the level right when warm? Maybe try and additive or the high mileage fluid.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

It still looks fresh/new and it is right in the middle of the hot markings on the dipstick. I'll top it off tomorrow with some of the Lucas additive and see if there is any change.

My concern is that it could be a torque converter problem, which would strain the crank/main bearing. I'm not very knowledgable about transmission problems though, so I don't know exactly what to consider the problem.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Images

I added a bit of Lucas transmission additive and some more fluid to fully top it off and it seems to have gone away.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Just keep an eye on it. I love the lucas stuff though. It has extended the time I have with a dying transmission beyond what I thought any additive could do.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

It could of just been low fluid.

The mazda used to have some hard shifts, turned out we were a hair low on fluid. Topped off and it's been fine ever since.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Images

Well, it seems I have found my problem. I have a bad torque converter.

My problem returned after a day or two and I went through the BGB's troubleshooting guide. Eventually, after adjusting my cables and inspecting the electronic control, I did a stall test and read just under 2100 RPM in both reverse and drive. That is ~400RPM less than expected (2500-2800 is OK), or a ~20% difference from the expected value. This explains not only my slow shift response but also the sluggishness I get on hills and the shuddering I get in certain RPM ranges.

Looks like the transmission is coming back out...

Shouldn't be too difficult with a transmission jack, right?
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Naw, if you have the right tools it should be fine. I'm able to get mine out in about 45 minutes.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Images

I decided to finally get myself a manual transmission. I was going to get one eventually anyway, figured I should save myself the money and just do it now. I'll be heading to the junkyard tomorrow. Hopefully I find everything I need!
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Thread Information