CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default How to cool down an engine bay

I need help...

I need to cool off the engine bay by venting it somehow. I don't want to loose the heat shield on the hood, it'll fuck up the rest of the paint. I have a section that's fucked up already I'm planning to cut away and put something in there to vent, just not sure which style of vent/scoop is best to help evacuate the hot air.

Suggestions?
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Shim the hinges? So the rear of the hood is up a tad bit?
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Wrap the header an downpipe

try a combination of hearder wrap or try the "jdm" hood riser lol
    u know how they just space in up in the rear idk if its proven to cool stuff.

plus living n driving in phx traffic doesnt help i feel ur pain on it dude

its my sleeper....

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Remove hood entirely? And only drive when no rain is expected......

It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......

Bigger fans will help too
    Maybe make a duct that pulls colder air from the outside to under the hood
    Then if im thinking right a vent that the opening is faceing the windshield would let hot air to escape from under the hood
    where as with a scoop that has an opening facing the front of the car would force cooler air into the bay an hot air out the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by kurt95gt View Post
    Bigger fans will help too
    Maybe make a duct that pulls colder air from the outside to under the hood
    Then if im thinking right a vent that the opening is faceing the windshield would let hot air to escape from under the hood
    where as with a scoop that has an opening facing the front of the car would force cooler air into the bay an hot air out the bottom
    There's plenty of air coming into the engine bay. The problem is evacuating the hot air. Vents are definitely the way to go, and the layout of the CS hoods make sense. Large vent over the stupidly hot turbo/manifold and smaller vents on the back corners to give somewhere for the hot air to go. The factory plastics can actually help with that, but are a pita to take off and on for maintenance. I don't know what you can really do effectively otherwise without modifying the hood.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈrĉʃənlˌaɪz, ˈrĉʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

呉音^ nerdy asian kid 唐音 l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w's Avatar
    l0ch0w has donated to the forums!

Images

^yeah
    Do it like an RC hood

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That's what I'm thinking. Two small ones at the back and the big one over the manifold. Time to learn bodywork now....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

drive to maryland. you can have the hood you saw on my car at the dragon. i have a new one now.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Get rid of the turbo.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mafix View Post
    drive to maryland. you can have the hood you saw on my car at the dragon. i have a new one now.
    I saw that. Interesting thought, but I don't have the vacation time to make that drive. Researching options now....

Her Build thread -->

Images

Shipping?

Images

Thats one of them.

Her Build thread -->

Make sure your undertray is good, you can even run a thicker end on it to keep air from going underneath the car and pressurizing the engine bay. Airflow thru the rad and engine bay is more a function of the pressure difference between the front of the car and the engine compartment, so anything you can do to prevent air from entering the engine bay not thru the rad, and evacuating air from the bay itself is good.

+1 to venting at the back of the hood - make sure also that the rubber weatherstripping at the back end of the hood has been removed.

Images

I don't have an undertray on mine. That's one thing I need. I'll have to do some serious mods to it though allow access for the oil filter and intercooler pipes). I'll start by raising the rear of the hood & removing the weather strip for now until I can track down the rest of what I need (either buy new scoops or get Willy's hood).

Her Build thread -->

No undertray is a big problem - air will go right under the car and pressurize the engine bay, reducing flow through the radiator.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

i can honestly say i've never had an issue. nor can i think of a single 4th gen guy that has. just my 2 cents though.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I've always been a fan of the drop vent styles for the 16x - see my project thread for what I'm talking about.

Yeah, it gets hot in there!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

I'm thinking about this one..
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMPREZA-GC...item3f02172e3a

That seller has other ones for sale including the CS style I like.

Her Build thread -->

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Funkycheeze View Post
    No undertray is a big problem - air will go right under the car and pressurize the engine bay, reducing flow through the radiator.
    Can't necessarily say that flow isn't reduced, but if it is it must be negligible because with and without undertray, my coolant temps stayed the same. I have to disagree that its a big problem. I have been running without undertray for years and have yet to experience any issues on a 3s.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Spacing the rear of the hood w/ washers a few mm. I used more than an inch of spacers on mine, looked ghetto as feck though Cowl hood ftw.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

This
    Quote Originally Posted by celica9303 View Post
    Remove hood entirely? And only drive when no rain is expected......
    I guess it is time to remove the engine also. Need to take it apart now and ceramic coat the valves, combustion chamber and top of pistons. Next the ex. manifold, turbine housing, and Dp. Then when you don't have money for fuel your heat problem is solved.

I would try heat wraps the big problem that I don't like with them is they like to hold moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by joe's gt View Post
    Can't necessarily say that flow isn't reduced, but if it is it must be negligible because with and without undertray, my coolant temps stayed the same. I have to disagree that its a big problem. I have been running without undertray for years and have yet to experience any issues on a 3s.
    Yikes, anecdotal evidence FTL. That's real mythbusters science right there Coolant temps under normal conditions shouldn't change. The thermostat/radiator/water pump/fans can handle it if working properly. Measure under-hood temps if you want real info. Heat issues are not limited to how the engine itself is effected, but also other things under the hood like wiring. Also have to compare apples to apples and a 5g and 4g are significantly different up front.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈrĉʃənlˌaɪz, ˈrĉʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Images

I can say this.

When I open the Mazda's hood after the same drive it's normally hot. You can see some heat wave shadows and can work with stuff using rags (oil cap, etc).

I opened the Celica's hood after the drive (3 miles, non- spirited maybe hitting 3lb boost) and it felt like I opened the oven door to check on dinner. Blast of heat and I couldn't mess with much in there it was just too damn hot.

Granted these drives were on the hottest days so far (112+ temps). I just checked this morning after the 3 mile drive to the bus stop and it was hot, but not blistering hot.

Her Build thread -->

Thread Information