CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I like Dewalt. You can always find non-oem batteries on ebay cheap. They wanted $100 for new oem shitty ass NiCd batteries. I bought two nickel metal batts with triple the storage capacity for half that.
    Hate to break it to you John, but your choice in power cells was a downgrade.

In general, NiMH batteries cannot handle the high rate of charges or discharges (typically over 1.5-2 amps) that NiCAD batteries can.
    Also, NiMH batteries will not perform well in high rate discharge applications, typically providing only a small fraction of the rated capacity in these instances.

NiMH batteries also have approximately twice the self-discharge rate of NiCAD batteries when in an used state.

For example,a NiMH battery can discharge itself nearly twice as quickly as a NiCAD battery.

When handled correctly though, NIMH batteries can be very beneficial, providing much longer run times than comparably sized and weighted NiCAD batteries.

Typically they recommend NiMH batteries in applications that call for long duration but not a high amp load.

Just my .02

- Mario
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have a Dewalt hammer drill I need new batteries for. I have a ryobi 18v lithium cordless driver and drill kit that kicks ass.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife25 View Post
    Hate to break it to you John, but your choice in power cells was a downgrade.

In general, NiMH batteries cannot handle the high rate of charges or discharges (typically over 1.5-2 amps) that NiCAD batteries can.
    Also, NiMH batteries will not perform well in high rate discharge applications, typically providing only a small fraction of the rated capacity in these instances.

NiMH batteries also have approximately twice the self-discharge rate of NiCAD batteries when in an used state.

For example,a NiMH battery can discharge itself nearly twice as quickly as a NiCAD battery.

When handled correctly though, NIMH batteries can be very beneficial, providing much longer run times than comparably sized and weighted NiCAD batteries.

Typically they recommend NiMH batteries in applications that call for long duration but not a high amp load.

Just my .02

- Mario
    Dreams crushed. Hope destroyed. While that may all be true, I never run the drill at max torque from fully charged until it's dead. Usually it's short bursts and if I have a job that requires that I use a corded unit. The batteries I bought last multiple times longer than the OEM's. It's an older 12v unit.

The reason I recommended Dewalt is because they are popular enough that as the unit ages the aftermarket steps up to produce replacement batteries. My Dewalt is over 13 years old and still kickin'. It has not been an easy life. There are multiple Dewalt service centers in Atlanta and lots of support nationally. Not too many Hitachi centers around.
    Last edited by The Captain; 05-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Fair enough. I just wanted you to be aware of the potential downsides to switching chemistry there.
    Sounds like you have it well under control and understand how to use your tools with the new cells, so good to go!
    - Mario

Questions?

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

You and your science Mario!

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Stand back!

I'M DOING SCIENCE!

- Mario

Questions?

I've got a Ryobi set with the drill and small circular saw. I've also got a reciprocating saw that uses the same batteries. I like the interchangeability between tools. The NiCad batteries have held up pretty good, probably 5-6 years or more but they're starting not lose life. I bought one of the Ryobi cordless weed eaters and it came with the large Lithium Ion battery that also fits everything else. That thing is great. I've also picked up a couple of the standard size Lithium batteries and they've got good life too.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Thread Information