CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1MZ info

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default 1MZ info

I'm doing some digging still, but looking for information about running a 1MZ in a 162. I'm reading things about the ECU causing problems because it is made for automatic transmissioned cars, as well as using 22R rods?

If you know anything about running this engine and valve train upgrades post up and help me compile my info base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

One of our new members, kurt95gt, also on 6gc, has a 1mz swapped 6th gen that he's just finishing up. I'm not sure how much that will help you, but there should be some useful information in his build thread.
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

I don't see why the transmission would be an issue. Lots of swaps use automatic trans ECUs with standard transmissions.. but, I don't know if there is something about the 1mz in particular that makes this troublesome. What's-his-name that I haven't seen around here for a while had a 5spd on his 1mz swapped 5g IIRC.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

I've seen you drive. Just put the automatic in it.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

When have you seen me drive? Lies.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-spoon View Post
    I don't see why the transmission would be an issue. Lots of swaps use automatic trans ECUs with standard transmissions.. but, I don't know if there is something about the 1mz in particular that makes this troublesome. What's-his-name that I haven't seen around here for a while had a 5spd on his 1mz swapped 5g IIRC.
    I'm seeing that the 97-00 1MZ can have a wire grounded from the ECU to go into manual mode, but some of the 1MZ did not come with manual options and the ECU does funny stuff and robs power.

Still digging around and taking notes. I can't seem to find a real list of the generations of 1MZ and the differences, I guess it's knowledge you just acquire like how I know the generations of 3S. I know some are drive by wire, some have none return type fuel rails that would need to be swapped. I need to go to pap and look at some engines to really get a feel. The swapping part isn't what bothers me, making it fit won't be the hard part. Getting it to run right is what worries me.
    Last edited by CollapsedNut; 04-06-2012 at 02:39 AM.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Member spitfiremk16 is on a distinguished road

Check the forums over on mr2oc.com. They have a v6 forum that should answer a lot of your questions. A good number of guys over there have 1mz swapped cars.

Im still trying to get minev running right. In my 6gen. But
    Heres the little bit that i know.
    If you get a 94-95 1mz the 94 ecu works best from my understanding.
    96 ecu sucks. Ill. Get the part number from my 97ecu tonightan post it up
    94-96 has a return style fuel system 97+ has returnless. If the 1mz came with dbw it was after 98 i beleave
    The 97+ maf sensor works best for a obd2 swap.
    As far as the trans goes any s series trans will bolt up. I knoe i only had to drill out one hole so the bolt would fit through on my s54. If you use the stock exhaust manifolds the rear bank exist flange. Will hit the motor mount on a s54.
    An last but not least mr220v does a great job coverting the harness. For the swap

If i can think of anything else ill be sure to add it

umm you could get a 1mz 4th gen camry in a manual, solara too
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

I knew some of the newer solaras came with a manual ecu
    but not the camry

yeah the 4.5 gen camry you could get a 1mz 5speed, its rare though

I just posted alot of 1mz swap info under the v6 thread under n/a

Well i put about 120 mile on the 1mz this weekend an she seems to run great!
    nice an smooth through every gear. The power isnt really noticeable at light throttle inputs. An almost feels like a 5s. But with a push of the gas shell come to life an take off like a rocket.
    An according to my obd2 tool while im cruzing at 60 (give or take alittle) im getting around 33mpg even with the s54 trans
    I haven't done the math to see if its right or not.
    I used just over 1/4 of a tank an ive drove it 128 miles total

other way to get gas milage reading is fill your tank, reset the trip ecu, drive till close to empty, fill again then divide the miles you drove by the gallons of gas that u filled up to.

I.E. 315 miles/14.7 gallons = 21.42xxxx so 21 mpg

which reminds me i need a new o2 sensor

Thread Information