CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Default Compressors - Oiled or oil free?

So, about to replace my dead compressor with a 20 gallon one. My question is, there a benefit to oiled? Or should I go the lazy path and get an oil free one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Oiled are like half as noisy. Less headache action FTW.

And they last longer, if you take care of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

Just went through this dilemma. Everyone said get oiled cuz its quieter. I ended up getting a 6.8 scfm @ 90 psi 25 gallon craftsman oil"less" recently cuz I have a detached garage and needed the portability and ability to have 110v operation for house projects. I honestly didn't think it was that loud. Got it for $90 at a pawn shop, and if the compressor ever goes out, I'll just get a rebuild kit from craftsman and rebuild it for like $50.

All depends on how much you use it, your air flow demands, and if you need portability. You are going to have a hard time finding oiled compressors at 20 gallons unless they are older. Most all of them nowadays are oil"less"
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

呉音^ nerdy asian kid 唐音 l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w's Avatar
    l0ch0w has donated to the forums!

Images

Seriously, just look at the things you plan on using it for. If a 20 gal oilless compressor will work for you, then go that route. But if you need an upgrade, then oiled is definitely the way to go. They are MUCH quieter, seeing as I have a POS 35 gal oilless one and my buddy has a 60 gal oiled compressor. His is about a million times quieter than mine is, and its more powerful....

My .02

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Well, after I mangled my harbor frieght 8 gal oiled one I am looking to get a bigger one with a little more power. Turns out using a low power 8 gal for an extended time using a cutting tool on springs can cause it to sieze lol.

The 20 gal oil and oilless I have found seem to have the same specs, or close.

I am hoping for this as more of a stop gap really. Get a few years out of it till I have a bigger garage and can take on bigger projects lol

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

FUCK those oil-less, loud ass compressors! Can't stand them!

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

I have a Porter Cable oil free compressor and its the quietest compressor Ive ever heard in anyones garage I know.

It was also expensive as fuck too, so I guess you get what you pay for.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have a Craftsman 919.165050 (30 gallon, 5.5HP 'permanently lubricated'). It's loud as FUCK but works awesome.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have a 33 gallon craftsman oilless. It's pretty loud, but it could be worse. It works for my purposes which include occasionally changing out tires, blowing out sprinkler systems, and I'll be using it to finish my basement once I get enough cash to start on that. The (relative) portability is nice as I do have to remove it from the garage to blow out the sprinklers, and I will need to move it to the basement once that project kicks off. But the thing is, it uses every ounce of power on that 110 while it's on. If you have literally anything else on that circuit, you will pop breakers. Hell, if you toggle the compressor switch on/off too fast, it'll pop the breaker. So something else to keep in mind there.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

I ended up find a used craftsman oilless for a decent price. Definately loud, but 25 gal and 5.5 hp, should serve my purpose well, plus it exceeds the requirements for my paint gun.

There is something to be said for a compressor with wheels that runs on 110. My 13 HP 240V 60 gal oiled certainly isn't what I would describe as portable.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

I must be deaf from my gf yellin at me all the time, cuz I don't think the craftsman oil"less" are that loud.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

^ I mean, mine isn't loud enough to be heard from down the street even with an open garage. But it's loud enough to get real annoying real quick when you're in the garage with it.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I'd rather turn on my compressor and wait 30 min for air, then have to listen to that damn buzzing.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Thread Information