CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: turbo vs n/a

Hybrid View

Smile turbo vs n/a

Which do you prefer?
    Why?

I like n/a for the pure motor aspects of it.
    But LOVE boost for the sound and feeling of it, between my trac and sti I don't know if ill ever go back to n/a...... until the frs
    .... then back to boost when the brz sti (if produced) comes out haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Das Boost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

I like NA because you are able to avoid an entire system of plumbing under your hood, plus the added weight.

In general, most of my "project" cars are also daily drivers, so I like to avoid the extra fuel consumption.

She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

I like boost!! But I base what I want off what the car will be used for.

DD I would prefer NA. Better mileage and less shit to break.

Everything else, BOOST.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Displacement and N/A for the sake of reliability, torque and lack of spooling.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

My car gets 29mpg on the highway.

Displacement doesn't equal reliability. That is stupid. I've owned many troublesome V8 motors. The more power they made the more drive train parts I broke. Pay to play. Maintenance is key. In my experience, if you leave a motor stock and maintain it properly it will give you little trouble. As soon as you start to mod it then be prepared to spend your money. That goes for any motor N/A or F/I.

IMO, most of the people who make these arguments have never left the N/A realm and have no real experience to make the comparison.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Stock would be a better answer.

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Hook is right.

The 3s that is in our alltrac has run great for years with little more than basic maintenance. Yet, the 5s's (yes 3 of them) in our 6gen have given me nothing but trouble.

It all comes down to the condition that the PO left the engine in AND how hard you are on it.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

I guess I took the question when it comes to modification on an engine. Whether to leave it and build it N/A or go turbo. I personally like the simplicity that comes with a N/A workhorse.

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

It seems as though the OP was just asking for preference.... If that is the case, I prefer forced induction cars.

Not looking at cost, reliability, fuel mileage.... Looking strictly at personal preference, I'm all about the boost
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Most turbo engines are capable of better fuel economy than their NA counterparts.

Ive personally gotten 36mpg in my MR2. Yes, in my MR2. On a 3S, running 15 PSI at the time. On a roadtrip through the high plateau regions in Wyoming, and through Grand Teton national park, and Yellowstone. My Celicas best is 36mpg as well.

If you take care of it, lets say for the sake of arguement, stock for stock, 3S vs 5S, I believe the 3S to be every bit as reliable, and maybe even more so reliable than a 5S.

In general, with the way technology is rolling, Id still rather have a turbo. Me likey da boosta.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Me likey da boosta.
    that pretty much sums it up right there.

Project Ava

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Most turbo engines are capable of better fuel economy than their NA counterparts.
    I have heard this but have always been skeptical.

I mean, theory seems sound to me, engine gets to recycle some kinetic energy that would otherwise be dissapated in the exhaust. But I havn't really ever seen it work in practice, not that it's somthing I've looked into extensivly.

Of course, once you are at altitude, I have no trouble believing FI cars are superior for fuel and power.

Would be fun to test a good 3SGE against a 3SGTE bone stock both in front wheel drive cars.

If anyone has any good information on this, let me know, it's somthing i've been interested in.

From the reliability standpoint, I have a hard time believing turbocharging has much of an edge. I mean, moving beyond anecdotal evidence, it seems hard to believe that any system with five or six additional components and that routinly builds up intake and exhaust preasures and temperatures far in excess of anything a NA counterpart would ever see would be more reliable.

Now it would be easy to believe that automakers may use superior engineering and materials in the construction of a turbo motor, but that wouldn't help the case of forced induction's superior reliability.

Of course we are talking about preference, so I can obviously see how many would take turbo over NA, I mean vroom vroom!

But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Senior Member Disco Dan is on a distinguished road Disco Dan's Avatar

Don't you still have to pay for premium on a turbo? With the prices lately, that's like $5 more per fill-up from an empty tank.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

Around here premium is .20 cents per gallon more than regular. So that's $3.20 extra to fill a bone dry tank if that ever happened. Well worth the smile.

There's also NOTHING simple about making all-motor power. FI is much simpler, IMO.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

I can haz 6 speeds? v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3's Avatar
    v3 has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

I <3 Boost

-------

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

boost

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

Reliability....no such thing.

I've seen Mercedes Turbo diesels with 400,000 plus miles. Never even had the valve cover off. Original turbos that are only oil cooled. The difference is MB people spend money on maintenance. A small displacement turbo will get better economy than a large N/A, off boost. A smaller n/a you'll have to ring the snot out of to get moving. Not fun for me. An S2000 is fun on the dragon but sucks everywhere else. Ultimately I'd rather lay down torque at lower RPM's. Either big-n/a or small-turbo. It's more pleasurable to drive. Less hectic.

Plus with big n/a, you can't increase your power with the turn of a knob.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Plus with big n/a, you can't increase your power with the turn of a knob.

Like This?

But i still love her...

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

Lol, that reminded me of a guy I work with who has a Z4 with a turbo button. He tells everyone that he has a turbo. I've tried to explain it to him but it's no use.

boost. i have even looked at boosting my sequoia's 3UR-FE! but unfortunately the wife did not approve lol

1991 all-trac w/ gen3 swap, 14 avalon, 08 sequoia 5.7L , 1969 mustang build in progress and a 87 toyota longbed 5 spd

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

After having a turbo car, I'm going to do my best from here on out to always have one. I love the power it makes and at least with the TMIC, I don't have noticeable lag when I hit the gas.

As far as reliability, mine has been as good as about anything I've had. Most of the trouble that I have experienced has either been caused be me or my son, not the car.

As for gas mileage, I average 22-24 driving back and forth to work and have seen as high as 29 on the highway. My theory is that most people that claim the 3SGTE is unreliable haven't kept up on the maintenance and just drove the piss out their car. You do that, regardless of NA or forced induction, things are going to break and the car is going to be unreliable.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

How much more boost lag do you have with a fmic?

Thread Information