CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

So, after a bit more driving around I found that I was still eaking a little oil. Its wasnt too bad but it was definately from up high and still dropping on the exhaust making it smell and the little puffs of smoke were annoying. So it looked to me like the oil was coming from around the dizzy. Its not too hard of a job to pull but when I took it out I discovered that both o-rings its supposed to have were just simply missing entirely. WTF?

Installed replacements and took it for a good long drive stopping to check occasionally. I had a little burn off initially but by the time I got back to the shop it was much drier looking and not smoking anymore. WOOT!

Also I replaced the mast for the power antenna. The motor and everything was still good and the replacement mast only cost $12. Nice to be able to get a few radio stations now.

After that I put the Trans Am up in the air high enough to drop the tranny pan, replace the filter and fluids and slap the clean pan back on. Had enough time left in the day to go ahead and change out the rear diff fluid and paint the cover as well. The only thing left on the Trans Am to do now is replace the right side headlight motor. Closest one I can find is down in Springfield (1.5 hours away) but I have a friend that is selling a GPZ900 that lives down there so I will run down with the pickup and kill two birds with one stone.

Ive got to sell one of these cars pertty quick, Im running out of parking space.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Great Job on the Resto.

I've ALWAYS loved the late 80's T/A's...

I jelly. I've wanted one in black since I was about 12.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Hookecho
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

The car came out great, but I have ignored the temptation for far too long.

Enjoy your guilty pleasure. I know I would.
    NOTICE: As of 15 January 2013, I am no longer associated with Lithia Toyota of Springfield.

seriously...

LMMFAO!
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

actually, this is more my speed anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ994o9vj1Q
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Freakin' hippie.

Makes me want a bitch in a Camaro now.....
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Picked me up another turbo! This thing kicks ass!

more pictures to come later as I get into it.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Facime View Post
    This thing kicks ass!
    Never had that feeling in a station wagon.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

have you ever driven a Volvo T5 on 12lbs of boost?

dont be hatin' on the wagon! I have room for several bodies and a shovel in the back.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

This ought to be interesting.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

So mechanically this car is already pretty decent. There is something not quite right in the brakes though. One of them howls like dying whale and they dont stop all that great. The P.O. had them all done including new rotors all the way around. Im guessing the shop didnt rebuild or replace the calipers so thats my next step along with a complete fuild change. Mechanically there is nothing else to do to the car.

The paint was in terrible shape. Completely neglected and it sat under a sappy tree of some sort. Nothing I couldnt handle though so here are the before and afters. The before pictures are actually after it was washed real good. It still looks dirty but its because its got so much sap and pollen just glue to it.

All those white spots are pitch that required "goof off" to remove:

After:

remember those scratched up doors?

There is still a bunch of work to do to the interior of this car. The headliner is shot and hanging down and the carpets sat wet under floor mats so they are musty and mildewy and will have to come out. That leaves me pulling almost the entire interior for cleaning and repair. I'll start that Monday.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

One day you're gonna have to make a How-To Paint Restore. Thats just amazing!

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by CollapsedNut View Post
    Passion + Elbow Grease

^^ more like the proper application of the correct tools and chemicals. Yeah, and "elbow grease"

I think what made this one possible is that for some reason it seems lots of factory black paint jobs are single stage. Alot of volvos of this era have clear coat failure, but since this one doesnt have a clear coat it was restorable.

I stopped by the p.o.'s house and he thought I went and had it painted. heh.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

So it has no clear coat? I thought that was standard paint procedure.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

for non-metallics in the 90's clearcoat was something of a rarity I think. My 94 Celica has no CC (also black) either.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

It's why you laugh at shops when they estimate CC when blending paint on body work for most 90's cars.

finally bought a bike for the summer:

― Clyde DeSouza,

Quote Originally Posted by CollapsedNut View Post
    I'll second that. Might have to budget for some power tools, but if it gets results like that, I'm in.
    NOTICE: As of 15 January 2013, I am no longer associated with Lithia Toyota of Springfield.

Wow, I was going to say you have a huge bug on your hood... then I looked again, damn windshield sprayer!

Damn. Do you do mobile detailing? I have 2 black vehicles that would love to look that good.

-Terracar

I dont do mobile work.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Weren't those KLR's designed right after the earth cooled?

That'll be fun, just check the "doohickey".

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

yeah, and remained largely unchanged throughout the run to 2007. There is something to be said for "if its not broken, dont fix it" and yes, "the doohickey" is on my list of stuff to check before I put any kind of miles on it.

This bike did Dust to Dawson back in '01. It would be fun to take it back and do it again (that would be every 12 years of its life).
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Quote Originally Posted by Facime View Post
    I dont do mobile work.
    Bastard!

Still amazing work, no two ways about it.

-Terracar

on the KLR:

made it 1.8 miles and broke it... :facepalm:

P.O. said he did a little carb cleaning to get the bowl to stop flooding after it had sat for quite a few years. He must not have done a complete teardown and cleaning because it sucked something into the main jet. 3 hours later its all fixed. Supertrapp repacked and poilshed as well. Cable lube and chain cleaning/lube coming up. Stupid rain is irritating me, but its giving me a good excuse to go through this thing before I tear off into the woods somewhere.

Thats a good thing.

edit: lubed cables after repairing them. Found them both to have a fray right where the cable rides on the jacket at the carb end. I caught them soon enough that a little solder did the trick. Should hold up for the season at least. GPS mount is installed, and mounted a gator grip paddle on the throttle, sorted out my basic luggage setup. Had enough time left in the day to ditch the old glass fuse setup and switched to blade holders. I think my chain maintenance is the last thing I have to do. Damn close to being ready to ride.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Thread Information