CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Meh. I dont mind its looks at all. Ive always been a bit of a pontiac fan and was kind of sad when they killed the line. Im expecting to triple my investment on it.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Fuel pump replaced on the pontiac and it started right up for the first time in over a year. Also got the drivers window regulator replaced, headlight replaced, turn signal sorted (bad connection at bulb), and a good underhood wash done. Tomorrow is a quick buff and start on interior detail. Hoping to have it back up on the market by Monday or Tuesday.

For the Supra Ive decided to take my time with it but I am headed up to Longview, WA. On Sunday to pick up a matching set of 245/60R14 Eagle ST's. I just cant justify new tires for it at $110/ea. but a used set for the price of one is worth a drive. Next week I will order a replacement alternator and the head set and start tearing apart the top end.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Finished the Grand Am and posted it for sale. Having driven it a few times to town and back for errands and once to the beach, I would give the car a decent rating as a family sedan. nothing spectacular, but comfortable, quiet, roomy (for a small sedan) and got 30mpg average over a full tank of gas.

― Clyde DeSouza,

Looks like shit.

But thats just because its a Pontiac
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

You detailed the underside of the hood... Wow.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

cell phone pics because I was too lazy to get my real camera...

Last edited by Facime; 08-20-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Nice.

I wish I had the time and patience to do that.

Hell, I am too lazy to wash my cars half the time.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

So clean!

Get some Mother's out and polish that tailpipe! That's my favorite way to end a detailing, mirror shine on the exhaust tip.

The wheels look outrageously good when they're clean. Toyota really did well designing all the elements on the Celica Supra.

pretty much finished with the paint restoration on the Supra. Only a few minor details to sort out on the exterior then I can start on the inside.

― Clyde DeSouza,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

DAMN!!!! She looks great! What are the details you have to iron out?

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Some P.O. decided to try to touch up alot of chips and things around the nose of the car. They look like shit and most dont even cover the chips anyway. Im going to block wetsand most of those down and repolish the nose where applicable. Also there are several trim pieces that have lost their coatings that need to be refurbed. The glass is also pretty badly waterspotted and despite my best efforts still arent up to satisfaction. Im going to order a couple of chemicals and a glass polishing kit and see if I can make them look mint again. Lastly, there are a couple trim pieces that are loose and need to be reglued to the body. I havent decided on the best method for doing so, so I havent done anything about it yet.

The interior is pretty decent on this car but its still going to be completely removed, cleaned and reinstalled. I will be vinyl painting the awkward "distressed look" vinyl seat reproductions to a more appropriate dark grey or possibly black. There are also a couple minor tears in the vinyl on the doors/window sills that Im going to patch with a vinyl repair kit. Lastly the interior will get a cheap head unit and working sound system.

Mechaincally I am still struggling with keeping it entirely stock or doing a swap. Stock mk2's really have a limited market appeal but would be the least hassle and expense. A swap could increase its value a lot more but Im torn. I would love boost for the car (7MGTE makes the most sense I think) but NA options like a 2JGE or even 1UZ would be fun for the car as well. I am not in any hurry to get this done though so Im still in decision making mode.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

I've seen a lot of 1UZ's at the yards as of late. Aside from wiring harness, what are the biggest obstacles to doing that swap?

exhaust, oil pan, drive shaft, conversion plate/bellhousing for mounting W58...
    Its the least likely option for me as I dont have welding capability here. would have to borrow.

the 7MGTE or 2J are the least hassle with the 7M being nearly bolt in.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

So much pain for the payoff. Welding would be a no-go for me.

Car looks fantastically clean.

Started to tear the top end down for a headgasket and while trying to set the motor at TDC discovered...it wont make a full rotation.
    I found coolant filling one of the cylinders and even after pulling the plugs I cant get one full rotation out of it. I suspect a hydrolock bent a rod or a valve...or both.

So I got busy today and ripped her heart out.

― Clyde DeSouza,

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

1uz should be an almost bolt in. there are adaptor plates for the trans, its all out there.

That being said the 2jzga would be easier, and probably cheaper.

And the 7m just isnt that much different of an engine, other than boost. still has the crank issues with any power at all.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

lol, if you call buying/making motor mounts, fabricating from scratch or altering factory exhaust manifolds, shortening the driveline and welding up a different crossmember..."bolt in" then yeah, suuuuuure. Im not saying any of that is particularly difficult, they all just cost money. Money I dont EVER have to spend on these projects. Dont sell the 7MGTE short either. Its perfectly capable of doing 250-350 with reasonable mods and do it reliably. Thats a pretty nice upgrade from the 5M which Ive never seen put out more than about 120 stock.

Ive looked around for motor options and if I can get away with it Im probably just going to do a nice stock "mini" rebuild on this motor. That will include new bearings, hone and re-ring the stock pistons, and a head rebuild. I'll leave it to her next owner to take her beyond that.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

well I guess I had a little left in my tonight and I worked late to get the motor on the stand and partly disassembled. I actually did manage to turn the motor over and it turns out there was just some extreme build up on the bore with the coolant leak. Once I managed to break past it I could turn the motor over fine by hand. I pulled the head and it looks like two cylinders actually had coolant leaks into them (based on the steam cleaned tops of those two pistons).

So a mini rebuild seems doable at this point. Probably about the same as I did with the 3VZ. If I can keep the mechanical budget under $800 I should have some room for a sound system and window tint.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Great work with the paint!!!Looks really good!

CAR Magazine January 1988 - "The celica happens to be about the best handling FWD car you can buy!"

So about this list of stuff you use for cleaning the cars
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

I probably sound like an advertisement for Meguiars products but they have done me well. I'll run it down in simple terms.

I have a rotary polisher that I use for serious defect correction. I use a cutting wool and Meg's M105 at around 1800-2200 RPM. Again this is mostly for deep scratches and paint transfer removal.

For less serious problems and normal oxidation I have a Meg's brand DA polisher and the Microfiber Correction System which consists of only two compounds with matching pads. I just use the system per label instructions. As I said before, that picture of the neadlight cover on the supra above was just a single pass with this system on a paint I didnt even wash first. Its really that good. Im inherently lazy so while there is probably better products on the market, I like how easy this stuff is to use. Wipe off is like nothing and a final buff with a clean cloth just pops.

For interior cleaning I use dollar store toothbrushes and small paint brushes that I cut down the bristles on. I use Meg's All Purpose Cleaner in various strengths and compressed air to blow it back out of crevices.

Underhood I have been happy with Purple Power or Super Clean, but will be switching to D108 Super Degreaser when my current supply runs out. Ive also used The ZEP professional grade degreaser from Home Depot and it works pretty well for underhood cleaning. Again, lost of different brushes including my favorite method of extra stiff paint brushes with the bristles cut down. I also have bottle brushes bore brushes and toilet brushes.

I use Meg's clear plastic cleaner M17 and M10 polish for headlights on a cutting pad on my rotary polisher.

That covers most of what I do. The rest is just being anal and spending the time scrubbing, wiping, and poking cloths and cleaners into every little crack and crevice.

Edit: wanted to add that Cheap microfibers are just that. Cheap. I heve even found that some low quality ones will scratch soft paint. Ive been using Cobra microfibers for a while now. I recently discovered a cheaper alternative on Amazon that are an excellent knock off of the gold Cobras I used.
    Last edited by Facime; 08-26-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

I had no issues with my 7MGTE. Even with a downpipe and extra boost.

I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Nice thanks for the list I have a terrible issue with the paint on my Corolla, it was terribly neglected from PO.
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

Have been working on getting the Pontiac sold (sale pending, should have the cash in hand tomorrow) and in the meantime Ive just sort of been doing what I can on the Cinder Project without any real cash. Here is some before and afters of the engine bay:

The teardown on the motor was a little disappointing. The two cylinders that had coolant in them are beyond honing/deglazing and the bottom end had definately been run with coolant in the oil.

Ive decided to go ahead with a full rebuild including a new oil pump...

I'll be ordering a kit this week and taking the block and head to my machine shop. Block will get a bore/hone, crank grind (so I can just use standard bearings), head will be gone through and repaired as needed.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Why is there a moon pie on the oil pickup tube?

I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Thread Information