CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Whats the hippie up to now!?

While I still have my 6th gen (daily) and my offroader 94 Pickup, I decided I wanted something with a little more muscle and an American flavor. Then driving down a backroad into town the other day I came across a project too good to pass up.

1986 Trans Am, 5.0TPI, 700R4, T-Top, WS6 with 88K original miles! To make a fairly log story short, the owner was the son of the original owner who cherished it but was a bit of a drunk. It sat in his garage for years at a time, the last time going up on jack stands in '98. Dad handed the keys and title to the son, then weeks later put a shotgun in his mouth (no, not in the car)

The son had mixed feelings about the car and dragged it around with him but never registered it. It sat outside the last few years neglected. He decided to sell it for family reasons. My plans are to go through it pretty thoroughly and change out all the fluids including a complete fuel system, brake system, cooling system and trans flush. I did a compression test prior to purchase and it was 170 +/- 5 across the board.

I'll update this as I get a bit deeper into it but here it is before and after a good bath.

The really special part of the car is how MINT the interior is. The following pictures speak for themselves, but this is before so much as a vacuum on my part.

NEEDS:

Headlight motors rebuilt
    Tuning - its not running right, has a bad lean backfire
    A/C recharge (R-12)
    Brakes soft - flush may fix em
    Hood and hatch struts
    Further detailing
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Very nice pickup. I tried to own a firebird once. Turns out they dont fit people my size very well lol.

And damn! That interior is clean. Should be an easy cleanup car for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Score!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I liked that generation, and thats in great shape. Congrats man.

She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

As soon as I saw that car, I saw it running through the rolling cornfields in Ohio with 'Bad Moon Rising' playing on atrack.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Eric Barrera is on a distinguished road

Images

Performance suspension? So does that mean it handles like a cruisliner or a aircraft carrier

lol

Nice find.

Originally Posted by Mafix
    2 step that bitch when he walks around back!

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Very cool.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barrera View Post
    Performance suspension? So does that mean it handles like a cruisliner or a aircraft carrier

lol

Nice find.

"Performance suspension" = WS6

The WS6 group of factory-designed modifications substitutes 16x8 Hi-Tech aluminum wheels matched to Goodyear Eagle P245/50VR16 blackwall tires for the standard 15-inch rolling stock and adds disc brakes in the rear. Also included is a special suspension package with stiffer MacPherson struts up front and a thicker 36mm front stabilizer bar. In the rear, specially valved gas-charged shocks are employed, as is a 24mm stabilizer bar. A limited-slip differential was also part of the package
    The sway bars are truely massive!

So I already sorted out the main problem and the reason why the previous owner had given up on it. The #1 and #3 spark plug wires were mixed up at the plugs. Probably explained why it was popping and missing. sorted that out, set the timing and took her for a spin...V8 + Posi + wet roads = Fun!
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Very nice find. Once it's cleaned up, it will look great.

I had forgotten about the very RED interior options that GM had during this time. With the WS6 suspension, that thing should handle really well.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ohh, interesting. Not sure I dig the interior color.. but hey, with my burgundy I can't be too judgmental.. Decent platform for a project!
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

I LOVE the interior! Its so appropriate for the era! Would I buy a new car with it, HELL to the NO. But for a car of its generation I kinda dig it. It would look less dated with a black or grey interior, but this give it charactor. A nice compromise might be to put grey carpet in it to tone it down overall. If the original wasnt so damn nice I probably would.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

I hope Murg puts rainX on his monitor before he looks at the pics.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I hope Murg puts rainX on his monitor before he looks at the pics.
    I thought thats what Murg was using for RainX.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I just can't stand the interior. I wouldn't be able to own that.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

I dont think its any worse than the blue or burgundy interiors of the 80's Celicas and supras. I think a dark gray carpet would go a long way towards toning it down.

The car runs fantastic now and shifts hard! I still need to look at the brakes and flush the cooling system.

Its cleaning up really nice too!

Last edited by Facime; 03-12-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Hard shifting is good?

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

on a 700R4? yeah shifts frim enough to slip the tires a little are a good sign! Its either been kitted or prommed.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Damn dude. You really know how to shine an old car up! Want to help me do mine when I bring the lift down there? I'm just seriously impressed every time you bring one of these planters back home and make a car out of it again
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

― Clyde DeSouza,

Images

If you pull the carpet let me know. My friends dad collects Trans Am's and has one with red interior that needs new carpet.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Make sure you roll down the windows when you jack the car up.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Got the title/tags done today. I was a little worried as the now deceased former owner had signed the title in the wrong spot...back in '08 I thought they would give me shit about it at the DMV. The lady seemed genuinely interested in the cars story when she read the odometer, but hardly even glanced at the title.

I had a slow leak in one of the tires that had been purchased back in 1998 (only 4K miles ago however) from a regional tire shop (Some of you know of Les Schwab Tires). It was a bead leak. They re-mounted the tire and sent me on my way no charge. Gotta love their corporate customer service model.

All I need now is an REO Speedwagon CD and a sunny day to take the tops off!
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

It's true, you can't fight these feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Facime View Post

All I need now is an REO Speedwagon CD and a sunny day to take the tops off!
    What's a "speedwagon"? Are they fast?

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    What's a "speedwagon"? Are they fast?
    Come on John, with all the old farts around here, you should have gotten this lecture before.

It's a type of light truck made by the REO Motor Car Company. They were relatively fast for their time.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-...reo-speedwagon

Thread Information