CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Discuss future of my MR2

So, my MR2 has been sitting. Something is wrong with the transmission. Thats not my problem though. I have another one lined up, so no worries there.

My problem is, my Gen2 engine leaks oil, and the wiring harness sucks, and I pretty much need to pull the engine out to change the trans, fix the leaks, etc.

My problem is, Im pretty much sick of working on it. I want to do the work to get it going, but I just want to drive the damn thing and enjoy it. I dont want a constant project, I just want it to work.

So, as I sit right now, I have a bunch of stuff for a Gen2. Ive been thinking about pulling the engine, replacing the engine harness with a clean 91/92 USDM harness, resealing the engine, putting adjustable cam gears on (I have some reground 256 cams in there), putting on a port matched head with TVIS delete spacer (I have Gen3 EFI conversion), and possibly a Gen3 lower oil pan assembly, Power Enterprise timing belt (I have that), and maybe a different intake manifold and throttle body. Possibly a turbo kit (considering a GT28RS or GT2871). Not really looking for anything crazy, just want a good reliable turnkey ~300-325 whp (I have a TKO exhaust, and a Berk intercooler and a water injection kit already). Or Ive even considered buying a Gen3 head with manifolds, and throttle body, using my 256 cams, or even just getting those GSCs, and mating it to my Gen2 block (which is said is stronger anyway).

Or I have been toying with the idea of just buying a Gen3 longblock, slapping some GSC high lift 268 cams in there, putting my turbo kit on, and calling it. Ive also been considering buying a Gen3 clip, and selling off all the parts I dont need (turbo, transmission, EFI system, taillights, etc), and using the stuff I do need (body harness, engine harness, etc)

Im getting all sorts of conflicting opinions. I pretty much already know whats going to be said, but I still want to read it, in case someone has had a similar predicament theyve dealt with, and have some good insight.

What would you guys do?
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

My friend Tim is doing option #1 right now. We are putting a gen3 head with cams on his gen2 block (that we are putting forged pistons in). He wants a reliable 350whp. However, he has my old AEM EMS on his car and he already had a TD06 kit on his car. He's been daily driving it with the AEM that I tuned for him and he said it runs almost like a stock car.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Sell it and buy the space wedge for sale down the street from me.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Sell it and buy my st350 this spring. This is likely my last year for 2-seaters.
    Coldiron (Cold - Iron) | Dragon Meet OG

| offensivetheory.deviantart.com/
    1992 Celica Gtfour | 2003 350z Track

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Aside from your motor needing to be resealed, what's really the difference between it and getting a gen3 that you will have to reseal anyway? Is the wire harness really that bad off that you can't repair it? You have everything you need to build what you want already. The motor you have now has as much turn key potential as any gen 3sgte. I say you should work with what you have. It's going be less hassle. Why worry with tearing down a clip and trying to sell parts. Idk, it really seems like six of one and half dozen of the other. There's no real wrong decision to be made. Fix the current motor and upgrade the turbo or buy a gen3 and upgrade the turbo.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I'd work with the gen 2 that you already have parts for. I'd rather reseal a motor myself than buy a front clip and not know what I'm getting.
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

Thats actually the way Im leaning right now.

Im looking into picking up a RacerX modified stock manifold, and some other goodies. I would like to be a happy, daily driveable 300-325 (Ill take more if I can even) whp, on a stock ecu or a romtune. I really dont want to go with a standalone if I dont have to, but will explore that option if I need to also.

This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Quote Originally Posted by alltracNyx View Post
    I'd work with the gen 2 that you already have parts for. I'd rather reseal a motor myself than buy a front clip and not know what I'm getting.
    Why would you buy a front clip for an MR2?

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I had Jeff make an intake manifold for me. I also bought a few of his other parts and had him modify my heat exchanger. You will be happy with his work!

I do not recommend anything that involves ATS's machine shop.

look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

pull it seal it and get the new harness fix the tranny problem and be done with it so u can enjoy the car
    R.I.P Cherry Bomb (1990 Celica ST)

They call me Hadoken because im DOWN RIGHT FIERCE

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath View Post
    Why would you buy a front clip for an MR2?
    Jerk. You know what I meant. Since I don't own an MR2, it's habitual for me to say front clip
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

AHAHAHAHA
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I say pull it, seal it, replace the harness, replace the tranny, put it back in and drive in one weekend. Sell off the parts you have for extra booze money at the dragon.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Fuck it, thing's a money pit. Donate it to me and let it sit in my garage.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Eric Barrera is on a distinguished road

Images

Repair said gen 2 and drive it.

Originally Posted by Mafix
    2 step that bitch when he walks around back!

STEP 1: Reach between legs, and check for testicles.

STEP 2: Reseal Gen 2 motor.

STEP 3: Get Murg to make you a sammich.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

He failed at step one

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

STEP 2a: Also, if testicles found in STEP 1 are not yours, make Murg a sammich.

1. Take a Midol
    2. Get to work on the Gen2.

What is this like, a long weekends work for you?

(love you Lunikins)

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Jerks.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Ya, since you've already got the gen3 EFI conversion, there isn't really much to be gained aside from a newer harness (which you'd have to convert anyway). I'd reseal the gen 2, maybe re-do some of the harness, and you'd have a great engine good for quite some time at that power level. The big thing I heard there is that you don't want to turn this into a project car. In that case I would definitely not bring a new engine into the equation.

With a decent turbo, good manifold, you'd be in really good shape.

I've been considering having racerx finish up my manifold project. I need someone who is good with a tig anyway, and he'd be able to do it without me needing to fill him in on all the basic stuff and why I need what added.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

kill it with fire

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Just fix the gen 2. I really dont know shit, but if you have the parts you need and you have to pull the motor anyway, why not just fix the needed things and move on? I can help with manual labor if needed.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by vip09 View Post
    I do not recommend anything that involves ATS's machine shop.
    Amen!
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe's gt View Post
    Amen!

My head is totally jacked up. So pissed. In addition to the damage I first noticed when they sent the head back to me, my machine shop down here found a couple more problems. I am using the "ATS Racing MLS Headgasket for later style 5S blocks " along with my "ATS Racing 700hp capable* Gen 2 Cylinder Head" and the gasket actually overlaps into the combustion chamber where they opened up the combustion chamber around the valves. Unless I can get a custom head gasket made (nearly $500), the machine shop can weld up the areas they machine and fix it. UGH!

Sorry to hijack your thread Luni

Thread Information