CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default New Harbor Freight 90 amp welder

I was at harbor freight last week and noticed that Chicago Electric had replaced the old line of 90 amp flux core welders with a newer version. So I opened the cabinet on one to see what was changed. Unfortunately there was no rectifier so my hopes for the switch from AC to DC was shot down. No big deal as I can do that on my own if I wanted to. What I did notice right off the bat was an improved wire drive system. They added a separate power transformer for the drive system and knurled drive rollers. A huge plus in my opinion because the old blue cabinet model had an outdated drive system that constantly slipped on the wire. It made wire feeding so inconsistent that it was hard to know what my next weld would look like. The new model also has a cooling fan. My favorite improvement is that the new model is a cold tip system. So now it will only arc when you pull the trigger.

So today I went and bought the new model and outfitted it with Lincoln wire and tips. This welder is night and day better than the older blue model. The wire feed is so damn smooth and consistent it's unreal. The duty cycle has improved a bit. Penetration is 1/8th inch on high. Having a power outlet 5ft from the breaker helps with that. Having a cold tip makes starting and stopping the weld much easier. Plus I can lay the gun down on a grounded table without arcing and sparking. The cabinet is painted black now so it just looks better.

I had a coupon for the $89.99 sale price on this welder. I saved a copy of the coupon if anyone wants me to email it to them. It's good through 5/12/12

Anyway, I recommend this as a cheap alternative for the hobbyist. I've dog cussed the older blue model before and would have quickly told someone to buy a Lincoln instead. I feel that this newer HF model has improved.

Camera phone pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I may have to pick that up to learn some welding....
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

How clean are the welds with the flux core? I just put together a welding bench with the HF blue box as I am waiting on parts for my gas shielded MIG. I blamed my poor welds on the flux core wire...

yes, the hot tip sucks... and is dangerous in my opinion.
    The VIS Carbon Fiber hood Group Buy is CLOSED.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The welds are far better with the newer model. much less spatter and the bead looks great. The worst part about flux core is having to clean the weld. HF flux core wire is cheap and horrible. Using Lincoln wire improves the welds a good bit. The main problem with the old blue welder was design. The newer wire feed system adds consistency to the weld pattern. With my old blue unit the wire speed never stayed consistent enough to produce good welds. Flux core is good to use when the welder is built right. DCEM is far better than AC.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Gay

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

We know your gay.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Thread Information