CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Default Input on welders

So, I am thinking I want to get a welder soon. The last time I welded was over a decade ago, and in HS lol. With that knowledge in place, what would people recommend for type (MIG, TIG, etc).

Odds are this will be a harbor freight purchase since they seem to have the lowest prices and this is just a hobby tool, so can't justify anything in the grand range.

Thanks for any input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Senior Member DudeMan will become famous soon enough DudeMan's Avatar

Highly recommend a MIG. You will also need a regulator and gas tank but its worth it.

I bought a cheap little 110 unit last year to weld up my car, its worked pretty well but lately I'm having issues with the wire motor and the rollers. Plus its pretty much useless for anything more than 1/8".

Flux core is garbage, don't bother with it. If you do get a MIG do it properly and get the gas too, it will be a night and day difference.

You can probably find a mid range unit for a decent price second hand, try and get a 220 if you can.
    -Chase

1990 4Runner SR5
    1990 Celica GT-Four

ive had mine for a few years, ive never had a problem with it. i even bought my dad one for xmas two years ago and he uses it alot. heres a link of the ones we have.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have a 90 amp Chicago flux wire mig. Works fine for me. It was given to me. Now, having spent 13 years in the metal fab trade I can tell you that compared to other flux wire welders they are low par and at times inconsistent. They tend to exceed the duty cycle a lot easier than a Miller or Lincoln. So the Chicago will overheat and shut down if you work it hard. After 30 minutes it will run again. The moving parts are cheap plastic but that has never giving me an issue. The liner is pretty cheap too so be careful not to kink it.

When I buy my next flux wire welder I'll buy a miller or Lincoln. A Chicago cost $110. A licoln or Miller cost $180 and they built better imo.

Just to clarify, 110 flux wire welders are mainly for "fix it now" stuff when in the field. I like having one around because they'll work anywhere. You can't beat the gas though. If you have 220v available in your garage.
    Last edited by Hookecho; 01-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I've used Bruce's flux core welder, and it would be perfect for small jobs/hobby work. Nothing that you want to depend on tho. Flux core wire is slightly more expensive then normal tho.
    If I were shopping for a cheap MIG today, I'd get me a 20% off coupon from a paper or something for harbor freight and go buy it. Its nice not having to worry about gas for hobby work.

I should clarify, I have been around welding and machine work all my life. I am not expert but I do know a thing or two. I have used expensive MIG rigs that make amazing beads no matter what, and I've ran welders that couldn't join two pieces of 1/4" steel together. I honestly feel the cheap fluxcore harbor freight welder is perfect for the hobbyist/shade tree mechanic who won't NEED a perfect weld, tho you can make nice welds with it, and it can do a quality job.
    Last edited by CollapsedNut; 01-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

A welder that uses shielding gas gives better welds than gasless. I've used both and would never buy or use a MIG welder without gas unless I absolutely had to.
    '92 ST185 All trac
    '92 AE95 wagon x2
    '72 TE27

I've gone through all classes and have a welding certificate now, and the welded depends on what you want to be doing. I would recommend Mig, cause if you change wire type and gas you can pretty much weld whatever. Ive welded mild steel, stainless, and aluminum, with Mig. It's all pretty simple. Tig just looks a little cleaner.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and pick up a Hobart 140 http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6073_200306073 . I hear good things about it and since I'm not welding on a daily basis it should be more than enough for current or future projects. Price is alright at ~$500 and 110v (getting 220v in my new garage will cost quite a bit) so there is some portability and versatility for smaller jobs.
    1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
    BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
    2005 Scion tC FW21
    1985 AW11
    1987 AW11

Thread Information