CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Default 1988 Alltrac - Fiona v2

So, a couple months ago I sold my alltrac (pretty much a shell) to the PO. Not a big deal cause I did not want an alltrac project that big.

Well, shortly after there was an alltrac for sale locally that was quickly dropping in price and it was more in the realm of the alltrac I wanted. Checked it out twice over the years (it has passed through a few hands) and at the price tag of 800, I couldn't pass it up.

The known issues:
    Harness has been hacked to shit.
    Lots of iffy wiring for remote start.
    Dinged up front fender.
    Possibly bad ECU.
    HORRIBLE RIMS!! (Hope to replace with alloy stockers off a 6th gen)

Possibly upsides:
    Significantly more complete then my last trac.
    Supposed rebuilt motor.
    Extra ebay turbo (maybe for my rolla)
    Stock turbo with no shaft play.
    Recently cleaned and tested injectors.
    Aftermarket radiator.

The immediate plans:
    Get it running in the next few months. May take out the harness and try and fix it, depending on what I find, or hopefully locate an unmolested harness. I want to have the car running and legal by next winter. No upgrades unless I have to replace something anyway.

The long term:
    Mount my 3sge manifold and get front mount.
    Reupholster interior (has seat covers right now).
    Paint.
    AEM, MS3 or another standalone.

Well, here is what I got for my money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

All I can think is better you than me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

The ultra rare trunk mount air to air/water to air compound remote intercooler!!

Good luck! I'm actually starting to dig 4th gen Alltracs.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Thanks. I love the st165's and just glad to get one in more manageable shape. I would like to get one in great shape to start, but I know I am too cheap and impatient for that lol.

And damn right. Best mod you can do relocating your multiple IC's! lol

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Good luck with the celica man!

CAR Magazine January 1988 - "The celica happens to be about the best handling FWD car you can buy!"

Small update even before I start working on it.

I should have an unmolested harness and spare ECU in the near future for 150.

So, if all goes well I will have a running alltrac for 1k (850 for car and tow).

I know more will come up, but that will make me happy.

Another small update.

I pushed her fat ass into the garage on Saturday and removed the hood. My goal now is to start removing the hacked harness she has and try to remove all of the interior wiring work that has been done to her. Seems like there has been a few switches added for who knows what, as well as the remote start. Hope to have the interior wiring cleaned up in the next week or 2 and back to "stock".

Also lots of other little issues to address from brief poking:
    EGR appears to be removed....but not block off plate
    Vacuum lines look shot
    Couple missing valve cover screws
    Clutch slave does not have line securely screwed in
    Starter is not securely mounted
    Oil return line is not secured
    Crappy hose clamps used on fuel lines

I think I am going to have to spend some time browsing pics here and the BGB to get this put back together the right way.

Awesome, I spy a FRAM!
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

So, I have started poking around the car and removing items that will be cleaned/replaced/repaired. This car has had alot of attempted upgrades and such and it has just become a cluster of an interior and engine bay. So, my goal is to strip it down to stock and also remove anything I think can be. So, here are some pics of what I have seen and done.

How the engine bay looked at the start of my pulling.

Part of the hacked harness and other mess.

Found this and learned it was someones half ass attempt to have a working heater, I assume.

Wiring and random switches.....

Random pics of what various previous owners have done.

I believe these were "crossovers" for the system that use to be in.

After the engine harness and fuel evap has been removed.

The PS line that I cant seem to get bolted down. Think a previous owner rerouted it a bit when they got the radiator and decided against trying to secure it.

Attempts at cleaning up the PS area. The return hose seems to press against the timing belt right now. Not sure if it was just pushed into a bad spot.

Driver side, under dash wiring havoc. Remote start was the biggest mess there.

And all the crap removed. Most items had the splice type plugs.

Here is the remote start/alarm in a pile

And how she sits, waiting for me to get her going.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That remote start/alarm pile looks sadly familiar...

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

You have one on your car before?

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The hatchback had the same type of mess under the dash from a previous owner.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

呉音^ nerdy asian kid 唐音 l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w's Avatar
    l0ch0w has donated to the forums!

Images

I feel your pain... I have a rats nest of wires waiting to be redone in my garage too... Its that job ive been avoiding that im sure is going to bite me in the ass if I dont get it done...

Yea, I decided to try and take the wiring on first cause I knew if I got the car running without touching it, it would cause me havoc lol. When a car is running I dont want to start doing too much that will change that.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That looks fun

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

looks like uve got a project on ur hand ill like to see it when your done

Small update:

Decided I liked the indiglo lights, but couldn't stand the way the controls were mounted. So I used one previously done hole for brightness knob and opened another hacked hole for the blue/green switch. A little sloppy since I didn't think through, but I need a new under dash piece anyway.

Got the slightly cleaned up harness installed......mostly.

Found these when searching through the pile of stuff that was crammed in this car. Any ideas?

Got the injectors out of a ziplock and put new o-rings and such on. Tried to install but then realized the FP reg and cold start injectors did not have gaskets installed.........not really surprised with how many odds and ends have been missing lol.

So, next plan of attack is buy a shit load of orings and little washer gasket type things. Really hoping to try and start her by the end of the month.

Images

Looks like you have a crankshaft seal set including oil pump seal and some valve seals with camshaft seal.
    How much for the rear main(if it is indeed a rear main, measure the ID and OD)?
    Or how much for both them bags, I'm a seal/gasket whore.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

I feel for your wiring mess. You manage to get it sorted out yet?

- sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

Small update.

Have most hoses connected and some parts cleaned up. Also removed the lower cross member to gain access to the TVIS, grounds and such.

What needs to be done before trying to start:
    Finish vacuum hoses
    Finish connecting grounds
    Get/Install EGR block offs. Probably from KO unless I can find cheaper
    Install intercooler
    Install radiator (need to decide if I want to use the stock fan, or get a slim)
    Get a small battery

So, just had a decent set back in my eye's. Was reassembling fiona and got underneath the car to hook up the final plugs and vacuum lines when I noticed something. The PO had did such a half ass job putting the intake back on that half of the intake gasket was fucking hanging out!! So now to try and fix this I will have to remove just about everything I have reassembled! Total buzz kill. I thought I was a week away from trying to start her and now I have to strip it all back down just to address that crap.

So, now this has me wondering if I should say fuck it, remove the center feed intake manifold and install my side feed GE. If I do that the car will take longer to get back on the road since I will need to get a FMIC and pipping. What would you guys suggest? Fix or do the upgrade?

Also, can you remove the north/south crossmember with no ill effects coming from the motor just resting on the east/west mounts?

Thanks.

Images

As long as your side mounts aren't busted to hell it will be fine. I would just run with the top mount till you get it running and know if you have any other issues.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Well, another small set back. The damn alum radiator has a nice hole in it. May try and JB weld it or something.......

Have the radiator in with no apparent leaks so far. Now to do the following:

Get a distribution block for connecting everything to a battery.
    New negative battery cable.
    New belt or 3sfe alt tensioner.

Unfortunately this will take a couple weeks as I have other shit to focus on in the immediate future.

Well, status update. She runs with crap gas in the tank. Not starting her again till I remove the old gas and use fresh stuff, plus use new oil on her. The oil in her seems fresh, but after the scare with the fram filter, I want to just make sure all the simple shit is good.

What I know so far:
    Motor seem a bit noisey, but not rod knock. May be valve chatter or something else.
    Need to replace a small piece of PS hose at the reservoir.
    Need to reconnect the to support rods for the intake on the back of the motor.
    Need to replace a weird T adapter on one of the heater core hoses.
    Still need to replace passenger side front wheel bearing.
    I still have overly blingy rims on her and that sucks lol.

How the engine currently sits.

As she sits, waiting to be rode hard....

Old hood that I am going to try and use for making a good vent out of FG.

Uncut hood

How the interior stands. Still need to figure out how I am going to handle audio and the mediocre carpet.

Thread Information