CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default wanting to turn my boost up on a stock st165

looking to turn my boost up whats the highest boost level i can push.

It depends on how well the engine has been maintained. If the maintanence has been kept up and the car has had the crap beat out of it you could probably go to 12 or 13 psi. If you've got minor running issues now, cranking up the boost is going to magnify them. Check everything out first (plugs, wires, timing, compression, etc) and then look at turning up the boost. In the log run, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble and grief.

These cars can be reliable and a lot of fun, but you have to keep the maintenance up. You just can't crank up the boost and beat the hell out of it and not expect it to break. This really goes for any car but it's magnified in a turbo car.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

its ben very well maintained oil changes has new plug wires plugs distributor cap and rotor button

If it's been maintained, you'll probably be OK going to 12 psi. Just pay attention and make sure that you don't get detonation once you turn the boost up. If you do, back it down till you can figure out what's causing it. You don't want to grenade your engine.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So how can you tell if your getting detonation?

1991 all-trac w/ gen3 swap, 14 avalon, 08 sequoia 5.7L , 1969 mustang build in progress and a 87 toyota longbed 5 spd

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Depending on how bad it is, you'll actually hear knocking coming from the engine under load. If the knock sensor is working, the ECU will pull time and you'll feel the drop in power.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

Also checking your plugs after the loss of power. You will see white specks on the plug.

will it be any faster on 12 psi?

Quote Originally Posted by 88st165 blue View Post
    will it be any faster on 12 psi?
    Depends on whether you hit fuel cut, pull timing etc. How do you plan to make it run 12psi? It's all in the setup. All else being equal on a properly running car, yes, 12 psi will yield more power than 8, and be faster.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

im planing running a fcd and ebc and what about my timing its perfect its got a brand new timing belt oil pump water pump and pullies?

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

By pull timing, he means that the ECU will retard ignition timing if it senses a problem like detonation.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

how do u prevent it?

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Make sure you have plenty of fuel:
    -Wideband O2
    -Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
    -Upgrade fuel pump
    -Upgrade injectors if needed

A way to tune the ECU like:
    -Airflow controller (apexi afc. safc, ect..) and a dyno

OR

Dont turn the boost up to the point the stock fuel system can't handle it. Get a wideband O2 and watch it, when you get to the point that your air/fuel ratio is below 12:1 while the engine is under load, stop turning the boost up.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

You prevent detonation by running the highest octane gas you can, maintaining the ignition system and cooling system, and keeping your intake charge temps as low as possible. That is how you prevent detonation on a stock setup with higher boost levels. No need to upgrade your fuel system. Stay away from from fuel controllers. The stock ecu doesn't work well with them. You'll pop the motor. Get a boost gauge because the stock one is a joke. Look in the forced induction stickies for the TVSV led mod. Use that as an indicator of knock response from the ecu.
    Last edited by Hookecho; 02-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

One of the first things i bought for my all-trac was a autometer wide band ($260 :-( ) and yes its nice to see my afr's but i think.it was a waste and i should have bought something else. I.purchased my all-trac with a ct20b installed and when i bought the wideband i turned the.boost up to 15 psi and my afr's were still below 10 at full boost and redline then i bought my st205 a2w system and the boost went up to 16 and my afr's were still below 10 at full boost and redline. From what i know i have a stock fuel pump. I did not have any fuel system upgrades from my gen2 set up. Now that im on the gen3 efi i hardly look at my afr's and i push 16-17 psi and it pulls very nice :-)

1991 all-trac w/ gen3 swap, 14 avalon, 08 sequoia 5.7L , 1969 mustang build in progress and a 87 toyota longbed 5 spd

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookecho View Post
    You prevent detonation by running the highest octane gas you can, maintaining the ignition system and cooling system, and keeping your intake charge temps as low as possible. That is how you prevent detonation on a stock setup with higher boost levels. No need to upgrade your fuel system. Stay away from from fuel controllers. The stock ecu doesn't work well with them. You'll pop the motor. Get a boost gauge because the stock one is a joke. Look in the forced induction stickies for the TVSV led mod. Use that as an indicator of knock response from the ecu.
    ^ Like Hook says, for just 12 psi, keep it simple and invest more in things to monitor the system than to tamper with it. If everything is staying essentially stock, I'd get an EGT gauge over a wideband and AFR gauge (and definitely don't waste your money on an AFR gauge without a wideband sensor to give it info). Some kind of hood ventilation will help keep your intake charges down and avoid heat soak, which can be an issue for any of the alltracs with their stock top mount intercoolers.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Images

Bah, just throw more fuel at it and ride. More fuel fixes all problems.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Especially when followed by a lit match.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Thread Information