CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default anyone done a 3sgte swap, if so help!

I am considering putting a 3sgte into my 6th gen. I have a couple of questions i couldnt find through searching. First, if i do the swap and use a 5sfe tranny, what other parts might i need other than the obvious engine, ecu, wiring harness? I just cant seem to find a very good list of the bare essentials. Second, how many hours have you guys that have done the swap put into it. I have a decent amount of knowledge for cars and i think my friends and i could tackle it fairly easily. Also, what difficulties did you guys run into that have done the swap.

thanks for your time

So you have a 6th gen with a 5SFE.... that means that your tranny is an S54.
    If I were you, I'd check compatibility on that first. The tranny from your US spec 6th gen may not be strong enough to handle the 3SGTE engine. I have heard people suggest using an MR2 or Camry tranny.
    Where are you planning on getting the engine? Most places will list what it comes with. Tranny, harness, etc. That will determine what other parts you'll have to find.

Sorry I can't answer your questions because I haven't done it before. I also have questions because I'm considering the swap as well.

Here's my question: Can you put a 2nd gen 3SGTE engine in a 6th gen US Spec????? :-D They're a little cheaper.

well i have done some research and it seems that the second gen is the best to put into a 6th gen bc of all the availiblity of parts. Ive also heard that people suggest that tranny. Im not sure where i would get the engine yet. Its still an idea as of right now.

steve, head over to www.6gc.net and search around a bit there, lots more info as its a 6th gen specific site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    click
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for the specs of my 5sfte

Quote Originally Posted by presure2
    steve, head over to www.6gc.net and search around a bit there, lots more info as its a 6th gen specific site

I have been there but for some reason my posts will not go through on that site? i messaged the admin but he never responded.... not sure what to do

Steve, They put you on Mod post preview over at 6gc. You should have been a little more carefull about what you post.

Anyway go back to 6gc and use the search feature for engine swaps. You'll find tons of info about the 3sgte. Or just search 3sgte in the engine/performance forum.

Later,
    DEF

Quote Originally Posted by defgeph
    Steve, They put you on Mod post preview over at 6gc. You should have been a little more carefull about what you post.

Anyway go back to 6gc and use the search feature for engine swaps. You'll find tons of info about the 3sgte. Or just search 3sgte in the engine/performance forum.

Later,
    DEF

well....that wasnt exactly my fault. A guy that was over at my house one night got on my computer and posted some stupid stuff on there and so not i get screwed because of it...sucks Anyways thanks for the advice. I wish i could post there though!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    Thanks for the link but ive read this post. It still didnt answer most of my questions. If i could get a bare essential list of parts that are needed i would be a lot happier... Assuming i got just the engine/tranny/ecu/wiring harness...what else would i need? Then assuming i get a clip, what might i need that would not be included?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

If you just bought engine, ecu, tranny, wiring harness.

You would be missing: 3rd ECU plug, AFM, ignitor, coil, injector resistor pack, fuel pump resistor, fuel pump relay, turbo pressure sensor, air intake piping, and probably some other stuff.

If you got a clip, you would be missing nothing. Plus, you could sell off a LOT of stuff, and pay for a good portion of your swap.

A swap can take a weekend or many months. It all depends on what you are doing.

It is probably a good idea to replace some old parts while you are at it! All gaskets, water pump, oil pump, belts, hose from hell, clutch, head gasket, distributor cap and rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc....depends on what you want out of the car. If you want to modify it, add some more.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Thread Information