CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 6th gen 3sgte swap questions

I am considering putting a 3sgte into my 6th gen. I have a couple of questions i couldnt find through searching. First, if i do the swap and use a 5sfe tranny, what other parts might i need other than the obvious engine, ecu, wiring harness? I just cant seem to find a very good list of the bare essentials. Second, how many hours have you guys that have done the swap put into it. I have a decent amount of knowledge for cars and i think my friends and i could tackle it fairly easily. Also, what difficulties did you guys run into that have done the swap.

thanks for your time

2007 Mazda RX-8 GT
    1992 Toyota Celica All-trac Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MeOw?! ^_^ ... ZoOm ... rAr! ... *eats a fish*

yes sir i did, the only thing i found useful was the swap directions into the 5th gen but is that similar for what i will need in a 6th gen?

Senior Member CelicaGT4 will become famous soon enough

Get a 3rd gen 3sgte. It will make your life alot easier plus you get a better motor.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

Umm.. last time I checked the procedure was the same for 2nd and 3rd gen motors. And everything for 5th gens applies to 6th gens as well. Same swap different car. If you have an ST, a mount needs to be changed (passenger side mount needs to be swapped for GT/GT-Four mount).

And if you haven't already, also search in 6gc.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike431635
    Umm.. last time I checked the procedure was the same for 2nd and 3rd gen motors. And everything for 5th gens applies to 6th gens as well. Same swap different car. If you have an ST, a mount needs to be changed (passenger side mount needs to be swapped for GT/GT-Four mount).

And if you haven't already, also search in 6gc.net.

i have searched there...i was posting there but one of my friends got on under my name and posted a bunch of stupid stuff so now i cant post there anymore

I think a 2nd gen would be best since parts would be more avialable. Thanks for the info.
    So then would i only need what i listed...engine, ecu, wiring harness?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

Ohhhh no, you definitely want go get a front clip (ST185).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike431635
    Ohhhh no, you definitely want go get a front clip (ST185).

everyone says taht. What would i be missing if i didnt get the front clip? just a bunch of little stuff that would make it hard?

Quote Originally Posted by steve0178
    everyone says taht. What would i be missing if i didnt get the front clip? just a bunch of little stuff that would make it hard?
    Everyone says that for a reason. Don't worry about what you would be missing if you did it the other way. Just buy a clip and forget it. Trust us.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    Everyone says that for a reason. Don't worry about what you would be missing if you did it the other way. Just buy a clip and forget it. Trust us.

i realize that everyone says it for a reason...i know also that it would be best to get a clip. But Im wondering what else it would take if i didnt get a clip.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Ignitor, coil, motor mounts, solenoid resistor, turbo pressure sensor, full length wiring harness, various chassis plugs, correct ECU, and other "little" things.

It would be best to source a clip. Also, there are quite a few differences with the 3rd gen engine versus the 2nd gen engine, mostly the wiring harness. But, thats unfamiliar territory for me. Good luck!

Turbo 1990 Celica T3/T4 57 trim
    2007 Toyota Tundra DBL SR5 5.7 TRD
    2010 Lexus ISF PPE Headers JOE Z Exhaust K40 Radar
    2007 Range Rover Sport HSE

I would suggest a 3rd gen 3S-GTE for your 6th gen due to the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Ignitor, coil, motor mounts, solenoid resistor, turbo pressure sensor, full length wiring harness, various chassis plugs, correct ECU, and other "little" things.

It would be best to source a clip. Also, there are quite a few differences with the 3rd gen engine versus the 2nd gen engine, mostly the wiring harness. But, thats unfamiliar territory for me. Good luck!

Lets say i did get the front clip... I guess i could still use the harness from the clip right? Would the clip be pretty comprehensive of what is needed?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

You'd also need the 3rd ECU plug (good luck finding it), the AFM, intake, fuel pump resistor if you want it, and some other stuff. (in addition to what sean said) Remember, you will be left with a *lot* of spare parts, that you can $ell.

The clip includes everything since nothing is removed.

Wiring difficulty will largely depend on your choice of engine. It is possible no matter which way you go, however.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Steve, it seems like you are negotiating with us whether or not it is worth the money to get the clip.

The answer, according to everyone on this board: YES. Don't ask questions just buy the stinking clip

i was thinking on doing the same swap i have a 95 gt and i want to do the 3rd gen 3sgte swap i should be easier than doing the 2nd gen 3sgte right????? after all its pretty much the same car. and what do you mean good finding the 3rd ECU plug it doesnt come with the front clip?????? very confused right now i thought the clip comes with everything pretty??????
    President of Celica Club Oahu 85% Lower 100% More Balla'

Quote Originally Posted by 808joey
    i was thinking on doing the same swap i have a 95 gt and i want to do the 3rd gen 3sgte swap i should be easier than doing the 2nd gen 3sgte right????? after all its pretty much the same car. and what do you mean good finding the 3rd ECU plug it doesnt come with the front clip?????? very confused right now i thought the clip comes with everything pretty??????
    a clip comes with everything. an engine/tranny set will be missing stuff, like the 3rd ecu plug
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Thread Information