CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1988 Celica Vert 5SFTE Project

With the garage at my new house done, I'm finally ready to start working on my first big project.

I've never tried a swap before, never even taken an engine out, but I have been stalling so long that I've decided I need to just bite the bullet and dig in.

I have almost every turbo part I think I'll need in duplicate. I also have a 93 vert parts car with a sub 100k rev2 5S and Manual trans. I wil be attempting to swap in the newer trans as well.

Wish me luck!

Here is the 88 Vert, I know she looks a little forlorn sitting there like that, but she hasn't been sitting there long, and the interior is nice.

The old 3SFE isn't that nice though. The wiring is decrepit, and everthing is rusty, I'll be glad to her out of there.

Here is the donor.

And the nice-clean 5S and Trans, waiting to come out.

Sort of a shame, the top is nice, interior clean and the paint is shiny. But yeah, she's a goner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Good luck brother. I better get to drive it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

If it ever moves, you sure can man.

Got it all up on stands tonight. Trying to decide if it would be within my abilities to change the head gasket while it's out. I'm also thinking about using the modified throttle body fitted to a mustang throttle body I've got laying around.

But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Not gonna do a 5sgte?

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Not yet, this is my first turbo, I want to get a feel for it before I take on somthing like that. Not that a 2.2l turbo isn't on the list, but I just want somthing safe. And I feel like a well tuned 5SGTE will be fairly reliable. Also, this car is more of a cruiser, I'm not going to be installing roll bars any time soon, so i'm not looking to get any more then 160hp, top. I'll settle for 150.

But i still love her...

Senior Member DudeMan will become famous soon enough DudeMan's Avatar

Having just finished a large project I thought I'd offer a few tips..

-Bag and tag everything. Its very frustrating trying to put something back together when you don't have the proper hardware, brackets, etc.

-Take lots of pictures. Not so much to post online, but to remember how things go back together. Same as the last point.

-Stock up on degreaser, shop towels and floor sweep. You will need them.

-Have a clear idea of exactly what you want to do and how your going to do it. My project quickly snowballed into something much bigger than I'd expected, what was supposed to take a few months, took over two years.

-One step at a time. If you start looking at the project as a whole it becomes daunting, just focus on whatever you need to do to get to the next step and don't worry about how much is still ahead.

-Pace yourself. I think nearly every corner I cut came back to bite me in the ass.. Have patience and do it right the first time.

As far as your abilities, don't doubt yourself man.

It's not really about how able you are, its how bad you want it. Good luck!
    -Chase

1990 4Runner SR5
    1990 Celica GT-Four

Looks like the donor was in good shape. 3.5 months until the Dragon!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Eric Barrera is on a distinguished road

Images

As dudeman said, BAG EVERYTHING. We both got finished with projects that took for ever. Even the littlest things, put them somewhere your going to be able to find them.

Originally Posted by Mafix
    2 step that bitch when he walks around back!

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Best of luck to you. It's not as daunting of a task as it may seem.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Quote Originally Posted by CollapsedNut View Post
    Not gonna do a 5sgte?
    Stag.....not to badger you or anything.....but if you're going to do a project of this magnatude you should just use the G head. I think you're going to run into all kinds of ECU problems throwing a turbo on there. Plus, the F head deosnt flow well. And how are you going to mount it? I don't know of any turbo manifolds that are made for F heads. Maybe you have thought this out and you just haven't shared the details, but from where I'm standing it looks like you just want to take advantage of the motor you have and slap a turbo on it. If that is your general line of thinking I think you're in for Pandora's box. If this is your first turbo swap then I'd suggest getting a 3SGTE and throwing the 5S block on it if 2.2T is what you're going for.

Either way, good luck and have fun.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

^This. Im not gonna tell you what to do, but using the 3sgte head, or even a 3sge head, is not going to add much complexity to the build. Its a fairly straight forward swap. You can use your whole 5s bottom end and use the gte or ge head. Either way good luck.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Stick with the 5sfte for simplicity, IMO

Since the 3sgte turbo manifolds fit the F head its a straight swap. The ECU may be a pain, but you could use a SAFC to tune, or get a stand alone. Plus, should be cheaper this way.......maybe.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Well, as to the 5SFTE V.S. the 5SGTE, I'm definitely going to stick with the FE head for now, lots of reasons.
    First, while it's true the I do have a couple 3SGTE heads around, that's almost all I have for sure. I have no wiring, ecu, 3S MAF, sensors, water pump ect. It's not that I don't want to take on a hybrid project some day, it's just that this is going to be a budget build. I mean, parts car, turbo and accessories I'm really only in this project for something like $1200, and since I have two complete powertrains to get parts from, using the 5S is the easiest way to go in my mind.

The other thing is that I feel like I will get a lot less unknowns with the 5S from the parts car. I mean, I have almost every part I need and I'm pulling them all off a car that is low miles and as far as I can tell, was in fairly decent shape before the wreck.

Also, I'm not too concerned about sticking with the 5S head. I can't imagine ever wanting more then 200hp in a 4th gen vert, and if I can get 160hp to the wheels with the catless down pipe, FMIC, supra injectors and emanage blue that I'll be utilizing in this build, i'll be perfectly happy. This car is more for cruising anyway, this project is more for getting my hands dirty then anything. I'm sure the 5S head won't be that much of a restriction.

I've already got a dedicated shop camera and I'll be setting up a computer out there soon just to keep everything organized. I know I'm not going to stand a chance getting this thing back together without plenty of labels and reference pics.

Just for fun, here are the parts I've collected.

3 x CT26 Turbo's - I have to pick a winner and find a place to get it rebuilt
    1 catless down pipe
    1 3sgte manifold
    2 x 3sgts oil pans
    1 front mount intercooler
    4 lime green supra injectors
    2 x turbo oil lines (I think thats what they are at least)
    2 x Emange blue with software and wiring. (toying with the idea of getting the option timing-control wiring)

So, from what research I've done, I'm thinking that a blow off valve, boost guage, 3 bar MAP sensor and turbo piping are pretty much the only things left on the grocery list. but if anyone see's anything missing, feel free to chime in.

Thanks for all the opinions thus far everyone!
    Last edited by Lonestag; 01-10-2012 at 05:00 AM.

But i still love her...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

What's gonna happen with the doner car after you pull the motor? Pm me about it please....... any ways,sounds like its gonna be a good fun project!
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

new exhaust ? down pipe back?
    maybe fuel pump. could've just been mine but i was running lean on the stock 5s fuel pump.

Project Ava

What about the internals? Are you going to run a turbo setup on a bottom end that's not built for it? What about the cams? How can you tune the engine when the intake and exhaust cams are slaved to each other? And AFAIC the only parts youre going to need for the G head are the head itself, the sensors that mount to it, and the manifolds. In fact, you could use the sensors for the F head if you're so inclined. This is what I'm saying about Pandora's box. If you don't do this the right way you're going to be in for way over your $1200. Pinto is the only dude I know of that has done this project. Should should follow his advice carefully.....

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSleeper View Post
    Since the 3sgte turbo manifolds fit the F head its a straight swap.
    It does?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRkt01 View Post
    What about the internals? Are you going to run a turbo setup on a bottom end that's not built for it? What about the cams? How can you tune the engine when the intake and exhaust cams are slaved to each other?
    All of your concerns are of course completely valid. If I was looking for anything more then thirty of forty horses over stock I would probably be on the boat with ditching the 5S head. But i'm convinced that the bottem end can hold up under mild boost.

As for tuning with the slave cam system, I agree that it's a limiting factor, but my main goal in tuning will be safety and reliability, not performance.

I mean, if I swapped over to a 3S head, I'd still be using a 93 5S block. If I used both the 3SGE head and block and just slapped on a turbo, I would be ignoring that advantage of my parts car. I have read the write-up on using 5S electronics on the 3SGE head, and while it's a great idea that i'm VERY interested in, it just doesn't feel right for my current goals and resources.

I'll tell you what RedRkt, i've got a lot of respect for your advice so i'll give you "told you so" dibs when this one blows up on me, work for you?

But i still love her...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedRkt01 View Post

It does?
    Yes. All of the S motors exhaust manifolds are interchangeable, well atleast the 1st and 2nd gen as far as I know.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

I feel bad,
    I got the donor 5th gen lifted up on jacks and stands to where I feel comfortable, and I charged up a spare battery.
    Just for giggles, I hooked up the battery, cranked the key, and after a major front end collision, and a year sitting in a garage, she started right up on like the 3rd crank. Kinda a shame.

On the plus side, the convertible top still works just fine, so I'll be able to try to retrofit the pump onto the 4th gen. The impeller is worn out on the 4th gen, so it will be nice to have a power top again.

But i still love her...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestag View Post
    I'll tell you what RedRkt, i've got a lot of respect for your advice so i'll give you "told you so" dibs when this one blows up on me, work for you?
    I'd rather you avoid that.....

I'm asking these pointed questions because I think your reliability will come from a G head setup up. It'll be easier to tune (read: run). And when the time comes you'll have the platform ready for introducing more progressive mods. And that way you won't be forced to start all over again. Another point I'd like to bring up is that you can control how much HP you make. If you started off with a 5SGTE you wouldn't necessarily be driving some beast that is neither reliable or safe; It doesn't mean that you're going for performance. It would just mean that you're starting with a stroked GTE platform. Where you go from there is your decision done on your timeline with your level of comfort, nothing more.

I don't want to detract from your ideas. I just want to make sure you've asked yourself the questions I'm asking. If so, great! If not, think about it. Either way I would prefer to see you succeed and if you fail I'm not going to rub your nose in it. That wouldn't help anything.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSleeper View Post
    All of the S motors exhaust manifolds are interchangeable, well atleast the 1st and 2nd gen as far as I know.
    That is less than 100% true. I own a 1st Gen 3SF and no other manifold fit on it. I'm pretty sure that 1st Gen 5SF heads are the same way. Beginning with the 2nd Gen 5SF you'll start to see some interchangability with 3SG heads, but even then I think it is only 2nd and 3rd Gen 3SG heads.

I am moostly going off what I have read. When I had my 88 GT everything I had read said the 3sgte turbo manifold bolted up (1st and 2nd gen). The 5sfe has the same bolt pattern which is why people have swapped the 1st gen 3sge exhaust manifold to it. All irrelevant as I am sure he has verified the manifold and engine will match up for his build

Looking forward to seeing this come to life and the reviews you give the 5sfe with the turbo.

I tested the compression tonight.

Engine was cold of course, I can't run it with the front end smashed like it is.
    It's also been sitting for a while.

On the first run I got from left to right: 90-140-110-160 (Psi).

That seemed a bit alarming so I re-ran the test immediatly.

The second run I got 150-155-145-160.

I wish I could warm her up and give it another shot, but i'm sure I would lose a coolant line or have one of the belts catch on somthing.

Also,
    It might just be me, but EVERY time I pull the plug wires, I lose on or two of the plug wire boots around the plug. I had to grind down a little barb thing to get them, always a PITA.

But i still love her...

Got one of the most important tools for my swap today.

And the electrical should only be a day behind.

I think I should probably complete my 4th gen collection Next.

Also, here is what I'm talking about with those spark plug boots. I've Spent hours trying to dig those things out.

They are just little rubber boots, but they get stuck on the end of spark plugs like so;

And with the 5S's long spark plug tubes, they are a pain to get out.

I had to use my finest nose picking rod, and I usually reserve that for ming nose gold.

But i still love her...

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

Ya major pain, I just got new wires and used dialetric grease on the white porclen part of the plug

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

The first time I had that problem, I had no idea that it was a boot from a plug, I thought it was the little cushion from a spark plug socket that some one had left in there.
    I spent hours in the main parking lot at my college trying to dig that sucker out, and even then, I know some of it ended up in the cylinder.

But i still love her...

Thread Information