CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

Default Front Torsen Diff for the All Trac

Hey guys,

Just an FYI. M-Factory is going to start work on a torsen front Diff for the ST185. I have sent them a factory open diff for them to design the unit off of.

sweet thank you im excited for this
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

To be honest.... I am highly doubtful that this will actually get made... That being said... I am offering my unit, and my time for testing to see if it fits/works.... in other words... I am hopeful, but not placing money on it happening.

agreed but im still excited for it to even be brought up shoot maybe if they cant get it done we can find someone who can

thank you again
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This will be really nice if it happens. Keep us posted.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

I thought there were problems with the rear TORSEN when racing?
    When the inner wheel lifts it was tearing the TORSEN apart?

If that's the case, is a front TORSEN worth it? I would assume it would be used for racing, if you're lifting one of the front wheels in corners it would do the same?

personally if yur lifting the front wheels at all your way to powefull for that track or you have a junk set up imo
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by alltracman78 View Post
    I thought there were problems with the rear TORSEN when racing?
    When the inner wheel lifts it was tearing the TORSEN apart?

If that's the case, is a front TORSEN worth it? I would assume it would be used for racing, if you're lifting one of the front wheels in corners it would do the same?
    It's all a function of setup. And for a front diff a clutch diff is usually too aggressive (hard to turn). And yes, a torsen in the front makes a big, big difference in the way a car handles, difference between the front digging in and the rear drifting out. Try driving an Evo 8 and an Evo 9 back to back.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey View Post
    Try driving an Evo 8 and an Evo 9 back to back.
    Close, but some 8s also had a torsen front diff.

I agree, it's huge for traction. I love my Evo's Diff setup with front torsen.

Having a front TORSEN is definitely better than having no front LSD, I wasn't questioning that.

I was just wondering about the reliability of a TORSEN when raced on pavement, I know Martin from alltrac.net was killing TORSENs and I'd heard it mentioned that they were problematic when you have wheels lifting.

I don't race right now, so it's not something I'd necessarily ever deal with, I was just curious about it.

It was great of Flyin Bajan to start the front LSD conversation with M Factory and get to the point we needed a front diff sent for review.

It was nice of you temperacerguy to step up and offer your parts for the task.

-Terracar
    Last edited by Terracar; 11-16-2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: spellcheck

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

i thought josh was doing thiss? im confused.......
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Having a front TORSEN is definitely better than having no front LSD, I wasn't questioning that.

I was just wondering about the reliability of a TORSEN when raced on pavement, I know Martin from alltrac.net was killing TORSENs and I'd heard it mentioned that they were problematic when you have wheels lifting.

I don't race right now, so it's not something I'd necessarily ever deal with, I was just curious about it.
    I have a feeling Martin's problems were more from the ProSolo launches... High power AWD launch + wide hoosier A6s = somethings gotta give.

But yes, if the one wheel lifts the torsen goes open (which sucks) and if you get massive wheelspin. While that one tire is spinning at over 9 thousand and then the tire hits the ground, the diff tries to become an LSD again... that can cause some problems.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by celica9303 View Post
    i thought josh was doing thiss? im confused.......
    What was happening over at AT.net was there was tons of discussion going back and forth, and no real action being taken... lots of good intentions, but the people with the parts wern't motivated, and things just wern't happening...

I had the parts out and ready to go. So I started communication with Stephen at Mfactory and kinda pushed this forward and sent my unit out to them. They also agreed to let me do testing on the unit (if it ever actually gets done)

I agree with KJ... It's not that the Torsen is weak, it's that when you start applying serious torque to something with serious traction, something's got to give when it's shock loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by temperacerguy View Post
    I agree with KJ... It's not that the Torsen is weak, it's that when you start applying serious torque to something with serious traction, something's got to give when it's shock loaded.
    Definitely, I wouldn't think that it's weak either.
    My understanding was that's one of the advantages to a clutch diff, it can "give" and not break when this does happen.

If a clutch diff in front makes it much harder to turn [didn't know that], I guess there's a trade off either way.

But don't FWD cars w front LSD have clutch diffs [I was under the impression they were more popular than TORSEN LSDs]?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious. I don't race so this is something I don't know a lot about.

Definitely, I wouldn't think that it's weak either.
    My understanding was that's one of the advantages to a clutch diff, it can "give" and not break when this does happen.

If a clutch diff in front makes it much harder to turn [didn't know that], I guess there's a trade off either way.

But don't FWD cars w front LSD have clutch diffs [I was under the impression they were more popular than TORSEN LSDs]?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious. I don't race so this is something I don't know a lot about.
    With a clutch Diff, The wheels are always TRYING to turn at the same speed. When you turn a corner, the distances that the wheels travel are different. So when turning a corner with a clutch style at 100% lock-up, one or the other wheel has to slip, which means that it has no traction. So with a clutch style LSD on the front, and you turn the wheels, one of the wheels that trying to cause the car to rotate is slipping. Once a wheel has lost traction, the direction of the wheel doesn't matter, the momentum of the car will overpower the rotation of the wheel. a torsen LSD will transfer torque to the wheel regardless of the rotational speed. Therefore it will allow the wheels to travel different distances while transfering equal torque between the wheels.

And most cars with factory front LSDs use viscous coupling LSDs, the higher end cars use torsen LSDs... Clutch style LSDs require periodic maintanance, which factorys shy away from.

Interesting

Good to know

Images

This is not saying that a clutch type LSD doesn't work in the front. It's just harder to setup to drive well. In fact as power increases you'll need more of the 50-50 lock of a clutch type LSD than the given bias ratio of a torsen lsd. I think the main thing is tuning the pre-load and also the amount of LSD additive to adjust the initial lock-up.

Seems like with FWD you want low initial lock up with a progressive engagement to 50-50 at full torque. And well... with AWD I don't think you'd ever want the front wheels to get to 50-50, seems unnecessary unless you really need the traction.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Thread Information