CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Default Project 165 - Gandalf

From the beginning...

ST165 #4333
    Purchased: August 2001 @ 187,000 km

Searched for a long, long time for the perfect car. I had joined up on the GT4 Yahoo Groups and learned as much as I could about the GT-Four's, the differences, and the potential. Fell in love with the cars ever since. Found a lot of bad examples. Finally, after a multi-year search, I found the one:

So I was young, just out of high school, and had very little knowledge about cars. Unfortunately, 3 months into ownership my oil drain plug came loose, I lost all oil, and developed a bad rod knock very soon after. Good bye engine #1.

Took the car into a shop that 'specialized' in the 3sgte for a rebuild. I ended up spending the entire cost of the car again on the rebuild.

I picked the car up in January of 2002. Apparently, the builder has a thing for ugly light blue and red paint schemes.

July 5, 2002: Took the car to the track for the first time. Managed a 15.78 at a whopping 86.76 MPH. Not bad for mostly stock.

Fast forward 13,000 km's. Car started blowing smoke, had low compression in cylinder #3. Damn. Engine #2 toast. I contacted the builder, who would not honor the warranty which expired after 10,000km's, and offered to rebuild again for a cost of $2500. I declined, and was certainly not pleased. It was at this point that I decided that only people I truly trust would ever touch my car again.

Here is what the engine looked like when I parked it. It would never be started again.

So the car sat, for almost a full year while I saved up money. Going through university at the time left little room for a new engine in the budget. So it slept in peace...

After nearly a year sitting in my garage, I finally got a lead on an ST185 front clip from a local importer. Got a decent deal on it too. Here's the clip, the first time I saw her:

June 15, 2003: And finally, she arrived in my garage. Let the madness begin!

Rawr!

Bye bye!

Enter new engine

err....what goes where now?

looking better....

Think it'll start?

October 5, 2003: Vroom vroom. She starts!

So after that, I got back to driving it again! It even lasted long enough to see winter!

March 30, 2004: Hooked up some software called "street dyno". I've seen a few people use it with relative success. 203WHP for a ct20b at 9psi and an exhaust. Not bad.

May 30, 2004: Another street dyno, with a little more fuel, water injection, and 12psi. Decent improvements.

A few months later I went to Seattle for an alltrac meet. Met a few of the people here too. Great group. Did the drags a few more times, no new mods since the last street dyno. Managed a 14.1 @ 98MPH.

The very next day, at the meet I had a chance to hit a Mustang Dyno. Mods exactly the same once again. Interesting how close the street dyno was to the Mustang Dyno.

Back in Calgary, another trip to the track. No new mods, just a little more practice. 14.1 @ 95MPH. Calgary is quite a bit higher in elevation, explaining the MPH drop since the Seattle runs.

I upped the boost to 14psi, and went one more time:

R/T: 0.419
    60': -
    330: 5.568
    1/8: 8.671
    MPH: 79.14
    1000': 11.363
    1/4: 13.627
    MPH: 98.79

That's my best run to date! Although I didn't on that run, a few other runs I did manage to break 100MPH. Very happy with the car at this point.

May 9, 2005: Over the winter I did a few modifications, including polyurethane filled engine mounts and rear diff mount, a Wolfkatz side feed fuel rail, cleaned and balanced injectors, a Perfect Power SMT-6 piggyback fuel/timing controller, and some interior work with my gauges. The SMT6 acts much like an SAFC, however also will control timing. I like toying with new things, so I played with this a bit, although eventually I decided that I wanted to rid myself of the AFM forever, and not too long after I would go to standalone EMS. Here's some pics of the winter mods:

October 1, 2006: 3 years since "the swap". The engine has run very strong and I have been extremely satisfied with the ST185 engine. Have installed a host of suspension mods. Went with KYB AGX front struts, KYB GR2 for the rear, Intrax lowering springs, new end links, and a Whiteline rear sway bar. Also, I have recently installed ST205 cams, and ST205 throttle body, ST205 intercooler, a large heat exchanger, and an Apexi Power FC. Finally standalone, however not yet tuned.

After this point, I had moved into an apartment building which was certainly not conducive to working on the car. In fact, I stored my car at my parents house for some time, and drove it when I was able. So, not a lot of changes could happen until I purchased my first house of my own, with corresponding double garage!

May, 2007: Bought my new house. Was very happy. Here she is on google street view. You can see my old Mazda 3 parked out front.

The next year became very busy in my life. I had proposed to my girlfriend Lisa and we were to be married July 12, 2008. Still managed to get out to a few meets and events when I could:

May 31, 2008:

After this, a few minor changes, however nothing too noticeable. This essentially takes us to the beginning of this thread. From this point on, you can read about my car's progress as it happens.

Well, the new 205's uber clean engine bay has made my 165 jealous. I've left things much the same for about 2 years now and have driven the car without much incident. So, I figure some simple changes will really enhance the way this engine looks.

Might as well have some style points to go along with the power, right?

Here is a quick inventory of the things I'd like to acomplish:
    • Re-Locate Aquamist water injection pump and pressure switch COMPLETE
    • Re-re-locate radiator overflow tank to original location COMPLETE
    • Re-locate Aeromotive FPR from the strut brace COMPLETE
    • Re-re-locate battery to engine bay CANCELLED
    • Eliminate hood rubbing on ST205 intercooler
    • Properly mount fuse box COMPLETE
    • Re-locate Greddy PCV catch can and clean up COMPLETE - Replaced w/ Shadow's Home Depot catch can
    • Box-in or shield air filter & clean COMPLETE
    • Replace old hoses COMPLETE
    • Clean up igniter mounting COMPLETE
    • Clean-up wiring messes: 1. leftovers from 185 swap - aggregate wiring looms; 2. various wires from me testing things; 3. Added circuits eg. gauges, water injection, etc. COMPLETE
    • Fix coolant temp sensor issue
    • Eliminate unused sensors from standalone COMPLETE
    • Identify and fix an oil leak
    • Clean-up various parts and re-paint / coat to more stealthy & clean looking colours; thinking silvers/gunmetal combo COMPLETE
    • Revise exhaust COMPLETE - Motoria cat-back
    • New wheels/tires COMPLETE - Bronze 16" Volk TE37's
    • New oil & plugs COMPLETE - BKR7EIX plugs
    • Dyno Tune / Mapping COMPLETE
    • Fix/replace water injection hose fitting COMPLETE
    • Final adjustments of ignition and boost with water injection activated
    • Fix exhaust leak

Here is my starting point (have since changed the downpipe to a berk unit):

Last edited by ChrisD; 05-05-2010 at 11:13 PM.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 ST205 WRC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

Look great man!!

She's sold
    !

Still have the cruise control stuff, use it alot? I removed mine b/c the buttons on the steering wheel didnt work and plus I didnt trust a 20yr old system to control my throttle lol.

I havent been keeping up with your build for a while but what ecu are you running that you eliminated the afm?
    Red st165
    White st165
    Black st165 (finally gone)

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

I hope murphy's law doesn't take effect. Guaranteed if I were to touch up maintenance like that, it would lead to another problem costing hundreds of dollars. Inevitably if something ain't broke and I do minor maintenance on her, something will break. She wears the pants in our relationship. lol. I guess I should just accept the fact that she likes being a dirty girl.

Lookin good tho.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

clean engine bay and how hard is it to remove the cruise control? is it done by taking the throttle cable that goes into the cruise control box and relocating it to the throttle body?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I like having the cruise. It still works great actually. It is pretty simply to remove, although you may need to purchase a non-cruise throttle cable if it does not reach.

I'm using the Apexi Power FC.

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

this has caught my eye...hmmmmm

1994 ST205 WRC

Uh.....how'd you do that?
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

Images

Basically you overlay a sheet of carbon fibre on to an object...say fibreglass, for example. You then epoxy in thin layers, finished with some wet sanding. Google "carbon fibre overlay" and you'll turn up some pretty decent write ups.

Here's 2 good write ups:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f94/...verlay-316911/

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...-anything.html
    Last edited by ChrisD; 04-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

OK so update

I've pulled out the air filter, rad overflow, catch can, water injection pump, FPR, strut brace, coil, and some other accessories. I've opened up some of the wiring to see what exactly I did back when I did the swap. I've found a number of plugs that I can eliminate at this point which will help clean up the wiring a bit.

Also, the more I look at it the less I think there's any chance I'm going to get the battery back up front. It will just add too much confusion and cramp the space that I may be able to open up. Also, I'm looking to increase the size of the airbox as much as possible - so I'll space on that side will be at a premium.

I should be able to mount the FPR nicely on the intake manifold, just behind the intercooler. That will be a good fit. Need to buy some more aluminum stock and the proper size drain hose to extend it slightly. My original braided line fits (from rail to the FPR), just had to relocate to the opposite side entry of the fpr.

I drained the catch can since I haven't done that in a while - man that is some *nasty* shit. Although the residue looked good overall, it sure packs a sick smell.

I have started to fabricate a proper mount for the WI pump - not satisfied with it yet, may require some thicker AL stock instead of the stuff I've got.

pics to come

1994 ST205 WRC

Thanks for the info, bro. I'm not a huge fan of CF, but I have a couple of ideas for which I might use it.

Images

OK, so a little more into things.

I've also decided to add one extra mod - new Motoria catback exhaust. My old catback wasn't very nice, it was half HKS and half custom...and I have always hated the way the custom muffler sat in place. A friend offered it to me for super cheap as it was sitting on his work bench for a few years with nowhere to go.

So here it is...

Good tone to it, fit is decent. There is one spot over the axle that is hitting, makes a clunk when I go over low speed bumps. Old one did too. Otherwise not so bad.

Also, might as well show the Berk downpipe while I'm at it.

Next is a pic with a whole bunch ripped out. As you can see, here is the mess I'd like to clean up.

I think I will actually be able to re-re-locate the rad overflow tank. I think that I can safely mount the aquamist pump behind the front grille and still protect it from water. Stay tuned.

Here are a few parts in my 'paint booth'. Using wheel paint - I suspect it will be decently durable. Added a clear-coat on top for extra durability and shine. (parts painted: strut brace, cruise cover, rad mounts, throttle cable mount) Like the colour?

Next task is the FPR re-mount. Here's my Aeromotive FPR:

Now to make a new bracket that sits on the intake manifold. Using aluminum stock.

And test fitted...

That's it for now. vroom vroom.

1994 ST205 WRC

Looking really good man! I am jealous of your garage.... lol.

So on the air box, is there an entrance at the bottom? Are you going to run any pipe from there if there is an entrance?
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

Images

hehe

Just to clarify - the CF box I posted is not mine, I am just thinking of doing something similar.

I have a flexible hose running from the front grille into the engine bay already feeding cold air.

Here's a really old pic of where it goes:

I no longer have it taped like this, but here is the spot it enters the engine bay:

I think I might end up with a box & cover similar to some of the fensport cars...like this (of course without a FMIC...I'll be keeping my WTA):

1994 ST205 WRC

Oh nice man. I like the idea!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.

Awesome stuff!

Images

Renamed thread because my objective is to have this ready for the Ogopogo meet. So I'll be adding a few things as I go that relate to getting all show-ready...well, at least as good as the car will get. So now I have a deadline: August 7.

So I've laid off this project as the ST205 has required my attention for the past little bit. First was the exhaust job, then just this weekend past I tackled half of the stereo project with some friends. Half, because we got the new deck working, a tonne of wiring fixed up, but we still have to re-install new component speakers and likely wire in another amp to provide enough power. Also trying to figure out something slick for a few gauges. That's this weekend. haha.

Another reason I slowed was due to me needing some parts. I needed a slimmer rad fan before I could button up the new radiator again. So I just ordered one from http://www.siliconeintakes.com/, along with a new air filter and some SS line adaptors for the new FPR position.

I've also got a special surprise for the outside of the car...stay tuned for that.

Anyways, will be working on it some more this weekend. Will keep the thread updated!

1994 ST205 WRC

I'm dying to know what you're cooking up for the outside.

Very cool car, like the plans and the bay layout, nice and clean.

Look forward to seeing the exterior too.. have you got an oil cooler for the car?

280bhp Gen 1 3SGTE. Haltech E6X ECU, Hybrid, FMIC, cold air box, Evo injectors, mocal coolers, Adj Suspension, ST205 g/box,
    ST185 group A rear LSD, St185 brakes, FIA bucket seats, Compomotive Rims, Toyo R888 Semi slick tyres

Sprint and track day car. No 22 in the Toyota sprint series. Making sure that the 4th gen is respected.
    Sponsored by Red Rocket Performance and design.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedRkt01
    I'm dying to know what you're cooking up for the outside.
    haha. no info until i can get pics. about 1 week away as long as I can get it back to a running state by then.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayzsidewayz
    Very cool car, like the plans and the bay layout, nice and clean.

Look forward to seeing the exterior too.. have you got an oil cooler for the car?
    Thanks! I find sometimes I am more sloppy with my work on my own car than I am with others. So really this is all about going back and getting things right. There will still be a few things that bug me, but at least it'll be a step in the right direction.

All that I would have for oil cooling is the stock 2nd gen 3sgte cooler.

Here's the most recent shot I can find of the outside:

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Okay, did some more work as a few parts have showed up.

First up is my special surprise for the outside. Bear in mind they are pretty dirty....but yep, here's my new Volk TE37's. 16x7", +33 offset which should be awesome on the ST165. Bronze in colour, which should look pretty sexy on the white car. Only 11 lbs per wheel.

Spent an hour this evening fitting the ASI radiator and silicone intakes rad fan. Here's some pics:

rad

SiliconeIntakes.com Fan

SiliconeIntakes.com Fan Mounted

installed

clearance

another installed

last installed
    Last edited by ChrisD; 04-19-2010 at 10:34 PM.

1994 ST205 WRC

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I love those wheels, but no way worth the $800ish ea price tag.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Images

I paid significantly less than that. They are used.
    Last edited by ChrisD; 06-19-2009 at 06:47 PM.

1994 ST205 WRC

LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!! Those wheels are SIIICCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R

keep an eye on that rad, guy from the UK who goes on here a few times, Betsy, a red 165, with 377bhp, has had to get rid of his ASI rad, the water temps with it fitted were significantly higher than with his stock rad. He uses a modified ST205 charge cooling system on his, and in fast motorway driving, I know he was unhappy with the temps.

Love the wheels, very smart.

280bhp Gen 1 3SGTE. Haltech E6X ECU, Hybrid, FMIC, cold air box, Evo injectors, mocal coolers, Adj Suspension, ST205 g/box,
    ST185 group A rear LSD, St185 brakes, FIA bucket seats, Compomotive Rims, Toyo R888 Semi slick tyres

Sprint and track day car. No 22 in the Toyota sprint series. Making sure that the 4th gen is respected.
    Sponsored by Red Rocket Performance and design.

Thread Information