CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Lifetime Member shreddr69 is on a distinguished road
    shreddr69 has donated to the forums!

Default spark plug wires??

This may sound stupid but my 88 all trac has a newer JDM motor and I cannot find spark plug wires. I first tried 88 3sgte wires and they were too short, then I tried 89-91 and they are too long. They look the same size as the original JDM wires but no matter how hard I push they do not seal. It's not the 92-up because I did not have the clips on the distributor cap and rotor, so where can I find some gosh darn plug wires that fit this engine?

Take a picture of your engine. Ill be able to tell you what you got.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

I've got my stock intake and intercooler on it, would you like me to remove the intercooler? Also, how do I post a pic so you can see it without emailing it to you? Thanks

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by shreddr69 View Post
    Also, how do I post a pic so you can see it without emailing it to you? Thanks
    You could use the gallery feature of this site - though I have never done it.

Otherwise any "public" internet space - like photo bucket - will do - you just move the pic there and link it in your post.
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Dist cap doesn't matter as far as engine version, it is interchangeable between the pre and post revision engines.

If you do infact have a gen II 3SGTE take a look at the wiring harness connector at the alt. There is a very short harness from the main harness to the alt.
    If the connector between the 2 is triangular you have a 92/93 [post revision, could also be a late 91 if it's JDM], if it's a flat oval you have a pre revision [90/91, or even 89 if you have a JDM].
    Both have the same depth for the spark plug holes, so I'm not sure what the problem is there.
    GOOD QUALITY pics would definitely help.

Either just use the gallery (keep in mind, it WILL give you page not found after an upload, but your pic WILL be there, if you go back and click on "my images"

This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

you probably have the wrong distributor cap for the version of your engine....your engine must be a 1992-93 since spark plugs from 1990-91 don't clip and you simply need to buy a 1990-91 distributor cap to fit the plugs. a Clear picture can definetely help us help you!

The distributor cap is fine. That hooks up. The wires will not seat in the head. The ones I just got look to be the same length as the ones on there right now. They snap onto the plug but will not seat on the valve cover. I thought I was just doing something wrong but I've changed many different spark plug wires in many different vehicles and have not had this sort of issue before. Again, the wires I have look correct but just don't seat. It's maddening really.... I'll try to get some pics up today and provide a link. Thanks

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

are you using OEM or aftermarket plug wires? Many times aftermarket plug wires will have wires that are not completely seated in the tube, and you can pull on the wire while pushing down on the cap/tube assembly to make it seal in the head.
    The VIS Carbon Fiber hood Group Buy is CLOSED.

Dude, just take a picture for us. If it isnt important enough for you to do this to assist with troubleshooting, it isnt important to us to help you. I hate to be so blunt about it, but youve been asked to provide pictures a few times. They REALLY help us figure stuff out like this.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Fail

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m612/shreddr69/ If there is anything else I can do, please let me know, sorry I took so long.... Also, I tried to pull the wire as I installed them over the plug but to no avail....

Engine in the pic looks like a Gen1 3S. Stock wires to your car should work.

yeah, that's the problem, it isn't. I used gen 1 manifold, alternator, intercooler, etc. That's cool, I'll keep trying different brands of plugs until I find some that work. As long as I know that a 1991 JDM doesn't vary from a USDM of the same year with regard to the wires then I'll get it figured out. Thanks again....

That looks like a gen II head/valve cover so gen II wires should work fine.
    The thing that I question is that all gen II heads I've seen have 9 stud holes for the exhaust manifold, even the ones with 7 bolt manifolds [which is most of them].
    This head doesn't. I wonder if this is a very early gen II head, maybe out of an 89 [build date of Sep - Dec 89] and possibly they require slightly different wires.

OR [and my guess is here] the 89 - 91 wires you got are aftermarket and don't fit right.
    Have you tried Toyota wires from the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Take a picture of your engine. Ill be able to tell you what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Engine in the pic looks like a Gen1 3S. Stock wires to your car should work.
    Fail

Head/valve cover are gen II.
    Most everything bolted to it is gen I.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

alltracman78...

I agree that the head/valve cover is Gen II. I have seen many/most 91-92 3SGTEs with the 7 bolt head. the RCs it seem all had the 9 bolt (regardless of build date), as well as all 93s.

I know you've seen more heads than I have [don't take that the wrong way ], so I'm not sure where the split was as far as those heads.
    But all the 92/93s and the homologation cars should have gotten the 9 hole heads.
    I've also seen 91s with the 9 hole heads as well.
    I've got a head from a 90 in my garage, I'll take a look at it when I get in there and remember, I'm curious about this now.

Oh, not taking it the wrong way.... Just stating my experience. It also may be that the 9 bolt heads were used on some ST185 based 3S-GTEs while the 7 bolt heads were destined for SW20 3S-GTEs. Then there's the whole "was it drilled" issue, as some of the 9 bolt castings did not have the 8th and 9th bolt areas drilled out (like on my RC engine)

Currently in my inventory, I have 6 3S-GTE heads. 3 are from 91-92 US SW22, (which are all 7 bolt castings), 1 from a 93 US SW22 (with a 9 bolt casting, and 9 holes drilled)1 from a 91 US ST185 (which is a 7 bolt casting), and one from an JDM ST185 RC car, which is a 9 bolt casting with only the 7 bolts drilled.

there are also a few other minor differences with the 9 bolt castings... for example the throttle body stay bolts are different sizes, and on the 93 SW20-22 the cam covers were different.

Hmm. I didnt realize you could frankenstein so much stuff between Gen1 and Gen2. After looking at my engine and that pic, the valve cover is evidently a Gen2. I can see that now. I guess I just assumed a Gen2 head wouldnt support Gen1 stuff, or vice versa.

It Seems to work for the most part. The car runs pretty good but it doesn't want to high idle cold and smells like it's running rich but no engine light is present, if you have any ideas on THAT whole other can o' worms,I'd love to hear it. As far as the wires go I'm just gonna go to the dealer. My buddy the mechanic was all about using as many of the US motor parts and sensors as possible. He was paranoid about the whole Cali smog deal with the JDM ECU.

Thread Information