CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default I just want my 89 GTS to be running

MY brother and I have been working on this car for the last six months. My brother bought it for $900, and it ran for two days. The care blew a head gasket, so we did what any respect full car enthusiast would do. We ordered a used Japanese motor from an independent motor company. We finally got it running about a month ago, and are now running in to some problems. The car gets terrible gas mileage and runs the worst when we time it. Any suggestions or Ideas.

P.S. I'm new to the site. I was refereed here by my friend who is building his 88' All-trac. Thanks for reading.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Check the timing, make sure the plugs/plug wires/dizzy (and associated parts ) are connected proplery. Sounds honestly like the timing is off quite a bit.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

You using the JDM ECU or the one from the US engine?

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Eric Barrera is on a distinguished road

Images

^ this

and check double check, and triple check your timing.

Check the Dizzy as well

Originally Posted by Mafix
    2 step that bitch when he walks around back!

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

Hey glad to see you made it on, its Jordan. Did you guys change the timing belt? Maybe the mechanical timing is off.
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

That's what I'm thinking. Ignition timing may be on spec, but if the mechanical timing is off, it will act like described.

More than likely its your timing. Do you see a lot of white exhaust fumes coming out of your exhaust?

Yeah right, start by basic tune up stuff. I don't know what kind of engine you run but from my personal experience, i do know that on my 5sfe engine there's two different timing mark on the camshaft pulley. Wich is confusing since it would also run on the wrong one but it would loose performance dramaticly...

Thread Information