CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

呉音^ nerdy asian kid 唐音 l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w's Avatar
    l0ch0w has donated to the forums!

Images

Default The Gen 3.5 Swap

Hey guys, I have to apologize for not getting the details of this build up on celicatech. I have been working on this build for about the last 5 months now, and while I have posted to other sites. I really should have also been putting it up here... Enjoy

I have a red 1991 alltrac that Ive had for about 4 years now. Ive broken two motors, mostly due to lack of experience, and patience. After spinning a bunch of bearings, lots of reading, and learning how to properly build and engine. I have decided to properly build a motor without cutting any corners. Which as most of you know means $$$

My initial setup will start with the gen IV bottom end. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the 4th gen block, It has a reinforced water pump area, and a better alloy composition. The general consensus with the 3sgte community is that the gen 2 block is good to about 800whp. After that its a huge gamble on whether it cracks at the waterpump or between the no.2 and no.3 cylinder. Im hoping in the future that I can break this barrier, but that is several years off...

My final goals are to get 500awhp on e85. The rest of the details can be found later on in the build
    Last edited by l0ch0w; 09-08-2011 at 08:10 AM.

呉音^ nerdy asian kid 唐音 l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w's Avatar

Images

First I thought I would share with all of you some of the specific differences between the gen 4 and gen 2 block. Next week the gen 4 block will be going to the machine shop to get a makeover and some new holes

The two blocks side by side gen II on the right gen 4 on the left:

By alochow at 2011-02-14

The Gen II block has a coolant nipple here:

By alochow at 2011-02-14
    The Gen4 does not:

By alochow at 2011-02-14

Images

Mah gauge pods

By alochow at 2011-07-28

and my trashed engine bay... this is getting gutted either tomorrow or next week if I have time... and then repainted, so this is the before picture.

By alochow at 2011-07-28

Also made some progress on my wiring harness since last time cutting and pulling and reorganizing...

By alochow at 2011-07-28

Images

Im using a gen 3 head, notice the manifold and valve cover

Im not using OEM coils. I decided on GMC LQ9 Truck coils. They are an OEM e85 coil with a hotter and more powerful spark than even the ls1 and ls2 coils. They peak at 120mA at 5ms of dwell... try that with your silly 1zz COP's...

Images

Heres the first bit of that harness redone

By alochow at 2012-01-26

Images

The Gen II has a different size turbo feed line and the that big hole is drilled and tapped:

By alochow at 2011-02-14
    The Gen4:

By alochow at 2011-02-14

The oil cooler location is significantly different, these next two pictures show quite a few differences. The oil cooler mounting holes are only on the genII block. If you look to the right of the oil cooler location, you will notice that there is a coolant nipple on the gen 4 block, and the genII doesnt... Also if you look really really closely you will see that the gen 4 block has threads the whole way down the center hole of the oil cooler location. but the genII block is bored smooth in the hole.
    The GenII:

By alochow at 2011-02-14
    The Gen4:

By alochow at 2011-02-14

Images

Coil Packs!!!

By alochow at 2011-08-16

Images

OK so here is the Gen IV block freshly modified to accept the Gen III oil cooler as well as my 86.5mm wisecos, o and i put fresh coat of paint on it!!!

My next step is to balance the rotating assembly. Ive decided on going back to a stock flywheel as my previous lightened flywheel made driveability a pain in the butt (remember, my car is way heavier than most of you MR2 guys')

Anyways, enjoy the clean pretty parts...

By alochow at 2011-03-10

By alochow at 2011-03-10

By alochow at 2011-03-10

By alochow at 2011-03-10

Images

Heres that engine bay... its not totally cleaned out yet but some progress has been made...

By alochow at 2011-08-20

Also my exhaust came in the mail today... Ignore the fact its on top of my wiring harness

By alochow at 2011-08-20

I also thought I would point out that this right here is the only sign of rust on my entire car... and its only superficial, it will sand off...

By alochow at 2011-08-20

Images

Here are some pictures that will better explain why I switched to a gen3 oil cooler. Anyways, these pictures say alot...

Gen4 on the left, Gen3 plus spacer bracket on the right

By alochow at 2011-03-11

Notice how much thinner the gen 4 cooler is, also no spacer bracket.

By alochow at 2011-03-11

Images

More pictures, also the modification of the oil pan so I can run ARP main studs.

By alochow at 2011-03-16

By alochow at 2011-03-16

By alochow at 2011-03-16

Images

roughed up a design for a box to hold my coils. Im not 100% sure on their placement yet, and really I would love to stick them under the exhaust manifold, but im just not sure there would be enough room. For now this design is so I can stick them on the top of the transmission mount area...

By alochow at 2011-08-31

Images

Oh... also my new oil cap came in last night... this thing could not have been more perfect...

By alochow at 2011-12-03

Images

Transmission is etch primered! Since im not powdercoating the trans, im debating on the best paint choice... Im thinking a good epoxy paint will work well though. Im thinking some POR-15...

By alochow at 2012-02-19
    Last edited by l0ch0w; 02-20-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Images

Ok so here are the two coolest parts...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Images

I got bored today cuz im lame and dont have any friends to drink with...

Heres what I accomplished. Note that the buttons are fully functional and when off it appears TOTALLY stock!!! Im sure its been done before, but i cant say Ive ever personally seen one done this way.

By alochow at 2011-09-05

By alochow at 2011-09-05

By alochow at 2011-09-05

Images

Head Studs Came in

By alochow at 2011-04-11

All the Seals came in from Lithia. I was bored so I sealed up the water pump, oil cooler and the hardlines.

By alochow at 2011-04-14

By alochow at 2011-04-14

Images

For all of you guys who are wondering about crankshaft and rotating mass balancing. Its not all about just making sure that each component is the same weight. For example, your rods have an odd center of mass, which means that even though they may have the same weight, its possible they have different centers of mass. Proper balancing puts the rods on a jig that can measure the heavy end, and the light end separately. Then each of the pistons are balanced by making sure they are the same weight. Usually if you purchase aftermarket pistons, then they come prebalanced.

Then after precisely balancing the components, and recording their masses and including the masses of all of the small parts too like wrist pins, rings, and rod bearings. A bob-weight is built and installed on the crankshaft. For a complete balance, the whole rotating assembly is assembled. With the bob weights taking place for the rods, rod bearings, wrist pin, c clips, piston, and rings. The whole assembly usually includes the flywheel and bolts, and the crank pulley.

Some of you at this point are probably wondering, why balance the whole rotating assy if most modern 4 cyl motors are internally balanced? well... frankly its my anal retentiveness I dont like the idea of my flywheel or crank pulley potentially throwing the rest of my system out of whack. Especially since all of my parts arent from the same motor. My flywheel was a freebie , and my crank pulley was bought off another member. As was my crankshaft...

For those of you looking to balance your crank, ask around and see if anybody locally has an electronic balancer. These things are like finding someone with a mandrel tubing bender... they arent that common and they cost several hundred thousand million billion dollars or something.

Images

OK here are some more cool pictures

My intercooler arrived (after waiting 2 months for shipping)
    The sticker on top has since come off, and it will be headed to get stripped and powdercoated within the next week or two

By alochow at 2011-04-29

Painted up the Heat shield with Silicone Heat Paint

By alochow at 2011-04-29

I had to drill a hole here, because the Beams Oil pan doesnt have a turbo drain, but the casting in the pan has the spot here to be machined. Im thinking about just tapping the hole and installing an an fitting.

By alochow at 2011-04-29

Images

Thanks

Images

Ok, so vip09 guessed that circuit correctly. He is getting a free one

Its a PWM output for controlling LED dimming. I plan on converting all my gauge cluster lights to LED, and that little guy will send pulsewidths to the LEDs, kind of like fuel injectors

Images

I put a few red brackets on for dramatic effect... Ignore the lighting and shitty cellphone, its making my red look brigher than it really is...

By alochow at 2012-02-21

Images

Ok so J's Garage in Japan just blew my mind... They shipped me a package on wednesday... Here it is today... The physics involved is a bit mind boggling, I was expecting them some time next week... Those crazy Japanese must have invented teleportation or something...

All the "other" turbo and bypass lines and a water inlet. Brand spanking new...

By alochow at 2011-04-29

Images

I'm gonna take my block to josh next Wednesday and hes going to tig on a larger fitting. The pictures will sort of explain things...

First I cut the end off of a set of gen 4 hardlines that were both damaged, and unusable by me. The end outlet just so happens to be the same OD as the gen 3 HFHOE outlet! This would be great for those potentially doing the gen 3 oil cooling system on their gen 4 blocks since you cant really use the gen 4 hardlines anyways with this setup. That and gen 3 parts like HFHOE and HFH are much easier to source.

Picture:
    By alochow at 2011-05-04

Josh will then be welding it over the old outlet. I dont really foresee any problems doing this... its just sort of a pain.

Here is a mock-up:

By alochow at 2011-05-04

For those of you wondering why in the heck is he going through this much pain to make a gen 4 block work. Its primarily because I like the strength of the gen 4 block and oil pan, but i prefer the availability of parts, and the a2w intercooler in the gen 3. I also like the stock crank angle sensor available with the gen 4. I think its hokey looking if I can see a toothed gear on the outside of your motor.

I secretly want to learn how to cast aluminum just like Mandalay...

Images

My injectors came in (2150cc)

By alochow at 2011-09-09
    And I got some big ass brakes

By alochow at 2011-09-09

Thread Information