CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech

View Poll Results: how do you clean your engine?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • I pressure wash it

17 17.71%
  • I use soap and water w/low pressure water

5 5.21%
  • Some sort of degreaser with water

31 32.29%
  • Blow off the dust with pressurized air

0 0%
  • Who am I to wash that stuff off?

13 13.54%
  • A clean engine is a sign of a sick mind...

6 6.25%
  • My engine doesn't get dirty...

8 8.33%
  • I pay someone to clean it...

3 3.13%
  • I wipe it down with a wet rag

13 13.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you clean your engine?

How do you clean your engine?

i usually spray mine down with some sort of cleaner and then hit it with the pressure washer on low

Member car is on a distinguished road car's Avatar

Images

I go through a puddle.

Mine, I don't think, has been clean from the day it left the showroom floor, but if I were to clean it I think I would find out it had more problems than I currently know of.

The bike gets cleaned with a rag, because it gets dirty fast, is visible, small, and easy to clean.
    1990 Toyota Celica GT-S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Bi-annually shoot it up with engine brite and rinse down with garden hose. Taking special care not to jack up anything electrical.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

lol, clean my engine...

I think all the crap on my engine is the only thing keeping most of the oil in.

Light spray with low pressure hose. Spray with Citrus Engine Brite and let it soak, then wash it down with water again. Then spray again with engine brite while scrubbing any particularly dirty areas with an SOS pad. Then wash it all down again with water.

I do this about once a month.

I do none of the above... I spray engine degreaser off, thoroughly clean it off with a rag, then polish metal parts, followed by a nice shimmer coat. Occasionally, if there is a lot of spilled fluids for some reason, I will hit it at the car wash.
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

purple power and a pressure washer.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I've done like five of the options at different times, depending on what was bothering me the most at the time. I haven't developed a routine, unfortunately. The coupe started with me sanding and polishing much of the metal you could see/get to easily without removal. Then I started taking little things off here and there, either polishing or painting them.

I never got to the stuff that was a pain to remove or would disable the car for more than a few hours, as I did most of it while bored at work. So it's all superficial. You can look at the nicely painted valve cover and the shiny intake manifold, but lean forward and look between them and you'll see 20 years of grime and spilt oil surrounding the injectors. When I removed the painted heat shield and put the header on I had to pressure wash the block because it was so filthy underneath.

I want it to look good and understand the benefits of easier maintenence and the failure prevention issues, but I just can't justify spending all that time on a 20 year old block while it's still in the car. Seems a waste unless the motor is out and being rebuilt.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

shiney motor=happy motor.
    besides it makes it much easier to work on, find issues and such.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Every time I wash my car I pop the hood and spray the $hit out of my engine. Get in to every nook and cranny. Then I wipe it down and make it shine.
    1994 Celica GT4
    Power is nothing without control

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

When you have a power steering, coolant, and oil leak, washing your engine is pointless
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by alistair
    lol, clean my engine...

I think all the crap on my engine is the only thing keeping most of the oil in.
    +1

1991 GT // Sold as Of November 30th, 2009 =(

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

I use a preesure washer when I find a spot of oil on the drive. Drive it enough to find the leak and fix it. But I did ignore the the power steering leak from the rack caused from a split boot and dirt.

Member Frenchy is on a distinguished road

my engine bays don't get dirty... lol

And if they do, I get pissed.

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT Red & Black 6 Speed Manual V8 287ci (many, many mods)

1992 Toyota Celica GT Coupe Red & Black 5 Speed Manual 5SFE (soon to be many mods)

Lysol wet wipes, no bacterial will survive!

I cover the alternator + my short ram air filter with a plastic bag, spray on some degreaser, & spray with a low power nozzle & a pressure washer. Last time I did this my idle went up a little bit. I've heard that if your engine is really dirty (like mud from off roading is all on it) cleaning it can actually help it run better because any high amounts of dirt will insulate the engine and make it a little hotter than it's supposed to be. Never discovered this for myself, but it does make sense.

Formerly itsoktosmokev8s Mr. Babb is on a distinguished road Mr. Babb's Avatar
    Mr. Babb has donated to the forums! Mr. Babb helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

buy front clip, take motor out of clip, clean motor really good, install motor, when residue builds up use mean green, rinse with hose, dry, polish aluminum bits with mothers.

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

In the past, when I cared about having a clean and shiny engine I would use oven cleaner. Then I would use some polish on the chrome.

However, Chaos' engine doesn't really get dirty. I mean, yeah, it is a little oily, any engine is, but other than that, she doesn't leak, so the engine gets dusty, and well, I don't bother with that.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

The Celica has received the most in depth detail under the hood I have ever done.

I started with Purple Power and spraying lightly at the car wash.

After everything dried I used Bug and Tar remover to clean everything up and leave a shine.

The side walls and fire wall are showroom clean now. Within the year, it will look completely brand new.

For newer cars, I just spray them to hell and back with Purple Power and pressure wash the engine, and then let it dry. Following, I clean with a rag and make sure everything looks half way decent.

The Celica is the only car I have cared enough to take hours cleaning the bay. Its the only car I have deemed worth it, as its been the nicest car I have ever owned.
    --Aaron
    1976 Toyota Celica GT 5MT//2007 Honda Civic//Skateboard

I cover the air filter (since its one of those open filters (bought car used)) and cover the distributor cap with plastic bags, then soak the engine with degreaser and then power wash clean.

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

I usually put some cardboard in front of the radiator to get the engine as hot as possible while I drive to a self service type car-wash place near my home that has variable pressure hot or cold water spray nozzles.

I spray it down with degreaser in a supermarket parking lot just before I get to the car wash place, put bread bags around the distributor, and then spray it down with hot water at the car wash place - using a "back brush" to loosen any possible large gunk areas, as required.

I always need to be careful that the attendant at the car wash place is not looking when I'm spraying the engine and all the gunk is draining into their disposal tank. I do this by having a standard bucket nearby and always having some soap on the car body itself - then I can just switch to "normal washing" if I think the guy might be catching on to the fact that I am clogging up his tank with ten years of gunk.

I just do this once whenever I buy a "new" used car - after that I keep my engine clean at home using a large sheet metal "catch tray" and degreaser spray.

I guess I'm not being really "green" here.....
    Last edited by klapa; 12-07-2009 at 02:39 AM.

once a week i spray it down...i even jack up the car and hit the underbody too!......when i did the enhgine swap i cleaned the bay to the point of pointlessness.........so i got a clean bay........i guess.

When I was in Washington one year I lost my axle seal in the MR2. I had so much crap in my engine bay. I bought like 10 cans of non chlorinated brake cleaner, and I sprayed the hell out of it in the parking lot of walmart. It was pretty clean after that. I still had SOME stuff in there, but it did a helluva job.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

then engine bay in my car is going to go under a massive clean up, where i will attempt to turn that mess of wire and hose into a clean organised looking engine bay. stupid 3sgte

Thread Information