CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Idle is low after the engine warms up, have some ideas on that.

I went through the entire steering column troubleshooting and finding issues. Then I found a harness underneath that was half connected. Explains EVERYTHING in regards to the controls on the steering column. So easy.

I give the front drivetrain 2,500 miles before something dies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My brother has been forced to make his car more reliable. After a year with him in college, he has come back knowing more than he ever has mechanically. Confidence is always a hard thing to come by when your ride doesn't come apart easily.

I give the front drivetrain 2,500 miles before something dies.
    We decided that the something may be the driver. Ball joints really showed their age with the increasing play in steering. Got a couple reman ball joints courtesy of Moog (genuine Toyota parts are for cars not likely to be wrecked in the next 2 years). I had a couple axles lying around from an old parts car (automatic w/ABS). Jacked the car up in the garage and went to work.

I needed my angle grinder and a cutting wheel to remove both ball joints. These were definitely originals. They were held in place with the type of corrosion one finds on an old shipwreck. Passenger axle came out of the tulip due to a torn boot. Cleaned and regreased the housing and installed the outer-shaft. Driverside was more of a fuss, but replaced the axle and ball-joint just the same. New gear oil and seals all around and we're about to take her for a test drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh the joys of the rust belt!!

This is the first time I could see the pics of this project (I usually read at work where it's blocked), it's great to see some one else saving a Celica that is that far gone bodywork wise. Mine is even in worse shape, and fixing it doesn't make any sense. But looking at this one, I would say the same thing, and here it's being done, so like I said, it's nice encuragement.

She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

this car is very similar to the state of mine I have a 1990 GT with some issues, I am currently working on rebuilding mine as well. I got lucky that most of my bodywork is between replaceable parts and the underside, I have a friend that is good with metal work to repair the underside. My plan is to start in an area of the car and work on small areas at a time to avoid being overwhelmed.
    "Its not about what you can BUY, its about what you can build" Speed is not dangerous, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets ya.
    1990 Toyota Celica GT

For your information, the ECU-B circuit feeds the following :

-ABS ECU
    -SRS light
    -Airbag
    -Check Connector fo fan control

Good luck!

Steering improved considerably. My brother complained about having "jumpiness" in the corners. Next culprit will be the rear bushings.

Thread Information