CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Project: "blanco"

2 years ago I spent $300 on a 1990 GT hatchback for my brother. Him and my dad spent hours curing rust issues, brake problems and drivability issues. A timing belt and water pump resurrected the 130k mile engine. She runs as smooth as silk, but currently rests because of a parasitic battery drain...

Today officially marks the beginning of project "blanco". In the next month this resting machine will go from sitting to road worthy. She has had a plenty of shoddy body work from rust cancer repair. It is time she looks and functions half-way decent for her mechanical condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buyer specs:
    Year: 1990
    Make: Toyota
    Model: Celica
    Trim: GT, st184
    Engine: 2.2L N/A 5SFE
    Packages: Sunroof, Power Windows, AC

The car had plenty of seized suspension parts, a shredded timing belt, rocker panel/floorboard rust damage and a few dents from accidents. The touch-up paint has yellowed, so we will be sanding and patching rough areas to be smooth. The car will get new paint (promising a surprise) and convertible side skirts to cover rocker panel repairs.

Last edited by Car_Barn_Bandit; 08-30-2011 at 11:34 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* reserved for repairs *

Currently I am in the process of nailing down an annoying open circuit issue. Battery lasts about 30 in before it is drained to the point that it cannot hold a charge. We have replaced the battery and alternator. Tracking down this problem is going to prove to be fun.

A number of fuses were wrong when we got the car initially. Electrical gremlins are my favorite.
    Last edited by Car_Barn_Bandit; 08-30-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Eric Barrera is on a distinguished road

Images

Can't wait. Pic's of said project

Originally Posted by Mafix
    2 step that bitch when he walks around back!

Can't wait to see it

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

- Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Quote Originally Posted by Doowstados View Post
    Coal mining is worthless without picks. This is my project and I will do as I please.

(Delay was related to my lovely neighbor)

*pics of security camera system installation*

Also, I get the lovely task of replacing a leaking fuel line along with a driver side CV axle.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That thing is a bit rough looking. looks like someone shut the hood before gathering their tools up.

Reminds me of mine when I first bought it.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

The hood is dented as it came off my beloved 92' GT Christine. Drunk driver. We worked it back into shape as best we could.

The car is REALLY rough looking. 3-4 shades of white, cracking paint, dents, riveted sheet metal, etc. The rocker panels and rear driver side look the worst. I plan on smoothing out the rear and then masking the rocker panel work with side skirts.

Mechanically, she is SOLID. She has almost 130k miles and the engine/tranny are rebuilt. Clutch is rock solid, and she has some real get up in her. Great, ugly, winter driver. We have some plans though to make her look a little more fitting for her shape...

Still hunting down the electrical short.

Comically, the drain is so big, that it happens in about an hour of sitting with the ground connected on the battery.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Car_Barn_Bandit View Post
    Still hunting down the electrical short.

Comically, the drain is so big, that it happens in about an hour of sitting with the ground connected on the battery.
    Get a clamping amp meter and start pulling fuses. When amperage disappears you pulled the right fuse. Harbor freight has em for like $10 I believe.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Quote Originally Posted by Doowstados View Post
    Get a clamping amp meter and start pulling fuses. When amperage disappears you pulled the right fuse. Harbor freight has em for like $10 I believe.
    Having a hell of a time finding an ampmeter. Closest thing I've found are battery testers with built in meters. Nothing outside of that.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Holy cow! Its on wheels! Last time I saw it it was on jackstands with almost the whole car sitting next to it in the garage....good work.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

reminds me of my 90 super white gt. i still have some parts around if you need anything including a good white driver side power mirror.
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Project got shelved for a couple months while I used the good weather to fix a number of things around the house that needed desperate attention. We weren't planning on insuring the car till it made it's way down to Cincinnati so it's sat.

Finally located the drain on the battery. It's on the ECU-B circuit. Anyone have a list of devices on that circuit?

dont want thread jack but, just so you know, i have lots of parts that can help with your build. i have almost a complete jdm exterior goodies such as jdm mirrors, 92-93 vented taillights, fender markers, gauge cluster, fog light grill insterts for alltrac (same as blackhawk's bumper), plus more. btw, im selling my 6th gen sideskirts as i picked up another set. this would be great for blanco as the sideskirts comes up higher at the fender and rear quarter panel. lmk if your interested.

blanco..nice..I have a white 6th gen. Previous owner decided to name is shadowfax after the LOTR big white horse. He was a nerd, 2nd owner, he left the car completely stock, so I was lucky to get it. I have yet to call it shadowfax though.
    95 Convertible Celica GT powered by JDM Gen III 3sgte, built internals, Audi 1.8t individual coils, and Autronic SM4
    build videos on

We did find the problem with the battery drain, and basically removed it from the equation. ECU-B was disconnected and the drain is gone. Fuel line work, the parking break and some much needed body work are going on now.

Sent via Imperial Comlink

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Parasitic drains are the pits. Glad you found it.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

New O2 sensor, e-brake rebuild, power steering line replacement, radiator flush, thermostat replacement, new fan, new fan sensor, a new coil, broken wheel studs, misc blown fuses and a radio missing it's faceplate; my brother has a DD.

Congrats bro, you've taken your first step toward being a free man.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

*slow clap* nice work sir!
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

The ball-joints are certainly shot. On my way to Cincinnati, my brother picked me up from Columbus, and I drove her back down. The steering is considerably sloppy in sharper turns. The driver-side drive axle is still making turns in sharp turns as well (CV grinding) and we have a spare to replace it when the time comes.

The E-brake went back out, yet has resistance at the handle. I'll get underneath to solve that mystery. I'm assuming it is hanging up on something.

When put into gear to park, the transaxle holds the car (on a hill) and then pops out of gear. Doesn't matter the gear, it behaves the same. Either linkages are worn, or the gears are bad. Doesn't make sense to be the second, because it shifts great through all gears in all driving conditions.

Then all sorts of electrical issues happened. It started with a couple symptoms; headlights quit working but the high-beams were still functional. Right-front turn signal went out, but hazard lights still worked, cruise control became inoperable. Thinking back, the airbag circuit was causing a slow drain. Now the HVAC is popping it's 15a fuse every other day after AC use. The Relays are popping in the engine as well. Dashboard goes out, tach stops working.

Now I believe the steering column controls are toast. I'm going to a yard right now to get a new unit. Sometimes the stick to control brights is intermittent. I tried cleaning the entire unit with alcohol, but I think it falls into the category of corrosion and heavy wear. Things don't feel tight like they should in a Toyota.

The HVAC itself has a fried wire (tan w/brown stripe) going all the way back on the harness. We will have to get into that later, but I'm going to replace the control unit just for safety sake.

The last little problem is idle. Every now and then, the car will idle so low it stalls while coasting with the clutch out. Then it will choke when given the gas in 2nd-3rd gear in the 2k-3k RPM range. It has no power, then suddenly jumps. It isn't the transaxle because the RPMs drop out. This seems sensor related.

I'm glad I got a chance to come home and take a look at the car. It needs a good exorcism by me today.

Thread Information