CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

25mm spacers showed up today

le gf's Prelude

the garage

8mm spacers:

25mm spacers (how it sits now):

25mm + 8mm spacers

Ignore the change in wheel gap, some of those pics were taken with the car still in the air. If nothing rubs with the 25mm spacers (and I don't see why it would) then I might try adding the 8mm as well. And if that works, I might donate the 25mm to the GTS and order some 35mm for the RC, since other people run 17x8 et35 w/25mm spacers that's the same as me running 17x8 et45 w/35mm spacers.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

As posted in the other thread, got my Rally Armor mudflaps installed

Turbo seems to be getting worse and worse so I'm taking it easy on the car now and just puttering it around town, once I find my spare I'll be swapping it to see if that helps.

In other news I found a whole new motor/tranny/wiring harness for the GTS, so I might just swap that instead of bothering to fix my stupid throwout bearing. Or I may steal the clutch from this new setup and keep it in storage til the old 5S blows. We'll see.

RC still has some small issues here and there, mainly being that the battery will only charge on the charger and it still blows blue after boosting. But regardless I shined it up as best I could and took it to a car show today at the Knox Mtn Hill Climb.

It really needs body work once I sort out the oil and rubbing issues.

Well since that car show the alternator started dying and finally it packed it in completely the morning of another show. I got it rebuilt by a local shop last week (they did it in a day and a half no less), charged up the battery all weekend and raised the suspension up yesterday so the front (up 1/2") doesn't rub like mad and the rear (up 7/8") doesn't look so stupid. I'm going to bring the rear up a touch more just to even it out with the front.

Here it is after taking it for a drive to settle things

Native habitat for a GTFour, the rear end loves to kick out on loose surfaces.

Looks great! Can you take a picture of how you mounted the rear mudflaps?
    What screws did you use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used self-tapping metal screws to attach it to the inner lip, eventually I'd like to replace them with nuts and bolts for peace of mind. I'll try to remember to take a picture when I raise the rear.

I put my front ones on using the existing bolts from that plastic fender trim. Just never got around to the back cause I didn't feel like trying to line them up and drill holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's what I did up front as well, I actually found the rears easier since you can use any part of the lip you want. Start with the side that has the muffler to be sure you don't end up melting anything. Just tape or clamp it in place, then punch the pilot holes through the flap and into the body with a drill. Pull it off, tape/clamp the flaps together and copy the holes. Secure #2, punch the last pilot holes in the metal and then run the self tapping ones in and you're good to go. I'd suggest adding washers to the self tappers as they start to sink into the poly of the heads are too small.

Beautiful gt4...I like the mudflaps a lot!

CAR Magazine January 1988 - "The celica happens to be about the best handling FWD car you can buy!"

Hmm I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.

Instead of leaving the self tapping screws in there, you should remove them and replace with some hurricane nuts or... they have another name. Essentially you install/rivet in a threaded insert. This allows you to remove and replace things to your hearts content and not worry about the issues that come from weather and crappy screws over time.
    (Just remember to spray them with paint before you button things up. Rust is a bitch)

Just a suggestion, and again nicely done.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

I know the little anchor things you're talking about, I'd totally forgotten about those. There's already some rot in the rear fenders so I'm not overly concerned about any additional damage these might cause. When I finally cut out and replace them I might just get some nuts welded in on the backside of the lip.

For mine (temporarily) I drilled the holes and pushed in little plastic inserts, (the kind you use to put a screw into brick or drywall) and just screwed in a stainless screw.

Been a while since I updated this, I did a novice TSD rally with the RC in the fall which was a lot of fun but a lot of stress as something in the turbo oil feed/return lines pisses oil under sustained load, so anytime we hit a hill on the highway I had to drop gears to stay out of boost. Got sick of that, got sick of how I don't have enough free time to get it fixed in a reasonable amount of time, and made a deal with my mechanic friend for him to do all the work I wanna do in exchange for a drift missile RX7 I picked up a year back and also don't have the time to work on.

Amongst the work is a gen 3 cam install so I wanted to see what impact they had as I couldn't find that info anywhere, I just knew it would be an upgrade based on specs. To do so we did a pre-mods run in 2WD mode, the numbers may be a tad low due to the other issues with the car but it should give us a good enough idea.

After some hiccups we got the car on the dyno Saturday for a few pre-mod pulls, it peaked at 202.8 FWHP @ 5850 RPM, 191.1 ft•lbs @ 5400 RPM, at 13.1 psi with no load. With 10% load and a little bit of heatsoak it hit 199.7 FWHP @ 5800 RPM, 187.3 ft•lbs @ 5600 RPM, at 12.4 PSI. We sprayed the intercooler a bit and hit 200.0 FWHP @ 6000 RPM, 180.6 ft•lbs @ 5550 RPM, at 11.9 psi and again at 10% load.

According to the dyno that last run works out to 230HP/207.7ft•lbs at the crank, which is not bad all things considered. The teardown begins next week and then we'll see how it does with the new cams and timing adjustments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-V-iSqnbw

The no load runs, I'll have to scan the sheet of the 10% load pulls but they give you an idea of the curve.

Thread Information