CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Default 1992 GT-S & 1991 GTFour RC

First, the backstories. The GT-S I got as a grad present from my parents as my 1987 GT-S Coupe had died within a month of it's 20th birthday (built Feb 1987 dead Feb 2007). It's fully loaded and was bone stock aside from an aftermarket amp running the door speakers and some 16" Motegi rims. It had the mandatory intake pipe crack but no PS leak so I counted myself lucky.

The RC I picked up in Van a few months back, I saw it on AT.net as a dying RC that may be getting parted out if no one bought it, it was a bit hard to get ahold of the guy but after a few slow months of back and forth PM's I finally got to go see it. The turbo was freshly rebuilt (twice) and his mechanic had told him that something major was wrong with the engine, either the clutch, headgasket, or piston rings. We jumped it and it idled fine, after a minute of some light white smoke the exhaust looked fine, coolant had no oil and oil had no coolant. His alignment shop had also told him that something was bent in the rear and the car couldn't be aligned.

I still thought the engine might be toast so I made an offer based on the cost of buying a local parts car and getting my friends shop to do the swap, he accepted it so I went and picked it up! And so the fun begins...
    Last edited by underscore; 08-14-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Well when I gently drove it onto the trailer I could feel that clutch wasn't anything special, but it felt solid enough. Knock that one off the potential problems list.

Previous owners pics of the RC:

And it came with the following mods:
    - RAZO RE30 Turbo & Lap Timer
    - Top speed de-limiter
    - Twin bulb driving/fog light (didn't work)

And I bought a set of OZ Cronos off him as well (15")

We dropped it off at my friends shop and I told him to do a full set of checks on everything before we pull the motor, I made the mistake of yanking the motor on my 87 and I could've easily rebuilt it. The next day he sends me a text with the following info:

Compression: 150, 149, 149, 149. Spark plugs and wires are absolute crap, and the valve cover gasket is leaking, it also needs a front axle, wheel bearing, and steering rack boot.

When I went down the shop he showed me the plugs and wires, apparently someone went through the hassle of getting to the spark plug wires and just taped them up instead of replacing them. Unbelievable.

Last edited by underscore; 08-14-2011 at 09:19 PM.

So I told him to go ahead with all that, he got it all fixed up and told me the intake piping was also shot, and there was an exhaust leak. I happily brought it home to save up a little more cash before moving on with more repairs.

I brought it back to the shop and found that someone snapped off one of the exhaust manifold bolts in the head, some far too much time and money later that got fixed. The rad decided that start shooting steam everywhere so I ordered the big ASI in the GB here, and I took it to the alignment shop to see what they would say. As it turned out, everything was fine and they aligned it no problem. I didn't know the RC has different alignment specs though, so I'll get the right setup the next time it goes in.

The intake leak turned out to be worse than we thought, the piping was actually held together by a coffee cup and duct tape (the metal kind). I tossed on a cut up piece of some couplers from a Skyline as a temp. Later on we also found a huge boost leak (someone unplugged one of those two vacuum lines at the bottom of the motor near the PS pump, tucked it away and never put it back), a broken IC water float and a broken engine temp sensor. In the meantime, I went to a meet:

Got another set of rims as the rubber on the Cronos was shot, and fixed the fog lights (power wire was super corroded and crappy):

Since then I've picked up the ACE chassis brace for the front, a TRD shift knob, the proper JDM front marker lights (still hunting for rears), replaced the broken IC float and found out most of the speakers are blown. In addition to that I've got some used Megan Racing springs and a Fujita intake waiting to go in. I also need to swap out the broken water temp sensor, I don't know where it goes to but the car only runs 5psi at the moment so I want to eliminate that before I start looking at the TVSV.
    Last edited by underscore; 08-14-2011 at 09:26 PM.

The next step is saving up a bit of cash and getting a little bit of rust fixed, the previous owner got the whole thing repainted and only after they were done did they tell him that they found some rust as they were painting but didn't fix it or ask him if he wanted it fixed (pretty stupid).

It runs along a bit of the passenger side sideskirt and the rear fender lip, there's also a few scratches from someone leaning against it or something. After that I want to hunt down some replacement RC decals for the side and then get my friends should to build me a 3" exhaust, I already have a turbo flange I got off eBay so the rest is just 3" pipe and welding.

Nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Wow I can't believe I haven't updated this in a year. In the meantime the RC got a few things being tucked away for the winter with a slightly smokey turbo. I took it out of storage and the turbo looked to have blown up, however it may have just been a back oil feed/return gasket. Either way I got a new one just in case/as a spare.

Ordered a pile of stuff for the RC and a smaller pile for the GTS. Hopefully all to be installed soon.

The goods for the RC:
    Engine & Performance
    - ASI 56mm radiator
    - Mishimoto radiator fan
    - Mishimoto radiator cap
    - Mishimoto cap on water-to-air intercooler
    - XS Power 3" downpipe (wrapped)
    - Classified Motorsports 3" exhaust
    - BWR 3" straight through muffler
    - AEM 3" air filter
    - AC delete
    - Deka battery
    - BWR battery tiedown
    - rewired OEM intercooler sprayer
    - Samco T-coupler
    - "HKS" SSQV
    - Vibrant MAF adapter
    - Speed Source poly motor mounts

Handling & Braking
    - ACE Engineering front chassis brace
    - TechnaFit SS brake lines
    - Porsche/Brembo 4 pot front calipers
    - PowerSlot STi front rotors
    - gtfourtc's Porsche caliper adapters
    - Enkei RPF1's (17x8 et45)
    - Kuhmo SPT's (245/40R17)
    - GT4 Racing suspension front & rear poly bushings
    - GT4 Racing swaybar bushings
    - GT4 Racing swaybar endlinks
    - BC Racing RAM Type coilovers (custom 10k/8k springs)
    - StageTwoRacing rear strut tower bar
    - xiiimotorsports aluminum rear diff mount
    - xiiimotorsports delrin rear subframe bushings
    - 8mm front wheel spacers
    - SP Performance slotted and diamond dimpled rear rotors
    - Hawk HPS rear pads

Interior & Electrical
    - Autometer 30 PSI boost Gauge
    - Varns Electric Division SLC-302 top speed de-limiter
    - RAZO RE30 Turbo/lap timer
    - Alpine CDA-9833 headunit
    - JDM TRD shift knob
    - 3rd rear seatbelt
    - TRD seatbelt pads
    - Innovate LC-1 wideband
    - Yonaka seat (Recaro SRD replica, red) on unknown slider and Classified Motorsports base
    - aftermarket horns

Exterior
    - FET driving & fog lights
    - JDM front marker replacement
    - BWR lug nuts

On order/not yet installed
    - ORC 409 Super Silent clutch
    - AEM water/methanol injection
    - RallyArmor mudflaps
    - Greddy catch can
    - TechnaFit SS clutch line
    - brushed aluminum gauge surround
    - new-to-me cup holder
    - Alpine subwoofer amp
    - Clarion 10" sub
    - Bassworx ported box
    - Oil sensor plate
    - Turbo oil supply/drain braided line kit
    - 25mm rear spacers

Future
    (Stage 1)
    - AE92 Corolla steering rack
    - Front/center LSD
    - 6th gen GTFour big brake kit (rear)
    - Speed Source solid shifter bushings
    - Speed Source solid front crossmember bushings
    - rust repair & repaint
    - GTFour RC decal replacement
    - Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar
    - misc. bits powdercoated gloss black/red and satin red
    - custom 2-step launch controller
    - Ultra Racing front strut tower bar
    - Ultra Racing rear strut tower bar
    - Ultra Racing rear floor brace
    - Ultra Racing lower side braces
    - Ultra Racing fender braces
    - replace antenna mast & motor (it's bent)
    - replace lower front grille mesh
    - relocate fog lights behind mesh.

(Stage 2)
    - full-time T-VSV mod or boost controller
    - replace all 10 speakers
    - matching slim boost, water temp (x2), intake air temp, oil pressure & oil temp gauges
    - full ABS delete
    - JDM tailight vent replacement
    - ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
    - GT4 Racing fiberglass RC hood
    - GT4 Racing fiberglass front fenders

(Stage 3)
    - semi-racing seats
    - Corbeau seat rails
    - quick release
    - different steering wheel
    - Speed Source fuel rail
    - larger injectors (550's?)
    - larger fuel pump
    - larger water-to-air intercooler core (6th gen GTFour?)
    - camshafts (5th gen 3SGE or HKS 264's)
    - Custom front/rear skidplates
    - Custom rear diffuser?
    - carbon fiber cooling diversion panel

GTS:
    Installed
    - ASI 56mm rad
    - Mishimoto rad fan
    - Kirkasaurus motor mount inserts
    - GT4 Racing front swaybar bushings

Not yet installed
    - Cusco front camber plates
    - GT4 Racing rear swaybar bushings
    - Full GT4 Racing suspension bushings kit
    - Brembo front brake rotors
    - GTFour front brake calipers
    Last edited by underscore; 07-29-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Unfortunately the rust on the RC is a touch worse than I thought, basically the JDM passenger side rear wheel well needs a small section cut out near the front, and the drivers side I think need nearly everything around the wheel well replaced as I can see some rust forming on the backside of the fender when I look in from where the jack goes. The GTS need a new windshield as the old one has a million tiny scratches in it so its a bitch to see when the sun hits it, the front bumper has badly flaking paint, I just learned the drivers front fender has a bunch of rust hidden on the bottom, the drivers door will eventually need to be replaced due to rust starting to form in impossible to repair places, the sunroof just began rusting and the hood is chipped to shit.

I'm debating attempting autobody myself or doing something funky with the paint because even after a good wash it still looks crappy now. I refuse to let it die though because I honestly enjoy the GTS more than the RC (not that I've really gotten to enjoy the RC much) aside from the pathertic power coming from the 315k old 5S.

In other news the import-wreckers nearby got an RC with a nearly intact front end, so I may do something stupid to my GTS...

After a couple weeks of slowly fighting bolts in my spare time, I took this:

Out of here:

And then removed the struts (for some reason I unbolted them from the chassis not the hubs, and dropped them with the subframe) and disconnected the left side suspension arms & axle (can kinda see that in the pic).

Now it's time for powdercoating, getting the GT4 Racing bushings pressed in, klue's rear diff mount kit (although my diff mount actually looks pretty good), coilovers & rear spacers. Then the rear end is done aside from bodywork, an ACPT CF driveshaft (eventually) and maybe a custom diffuser.

It's great to see someone on here picked up this car. Did you buy it from a guy in port coquitlam? if so I've met up with and bumped into this car a few times, she was needing some TLC, that's for sure.

Yeah he went by enricogoncalvis or something like that on Alltrac.net. It was in pretty rough shape when I bought it and I've put way more into it than I had wanted to, but I think the car was worth saving. I didn't really want to get an RC as I was planning on rallying a 185 and I think the RC's are too rare to beat on like that, but I was the only person interested in the car and if I didn't get it then it was going to be scrapped.

The sad thing is if his mechanic wasn't such a dipshit and the turbo rebuilder wasn't so lazy he would still be the one driving the car, all it truly needed was an intake coupler (turbo shop ghetto rigged this), an intercooler level float (mechanic), a turbo oil feed/drain gasket (turbo shop), new spark plugs and wires (mechanic), and an exhaust manifold stud drilled out and replaced (99% sure the stupid turbo shop broke it).

how wide are those chronos ?
    Project: Code Red 92 GTS
    Team 3D: Dedication, Determination, And Desire

Yup, that's the car. Too bad you didnt make it to the ogopogo meet.

Next year I better have at least one Celica running or I may do something drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    how wide are those chronos ?
    I think 6.5 but I'm not sure. They're pretty narrow & too small to clear the RCs BBK so I might use them as winters for the GTS

Wow, I haven't updated this in forever. I've since moved houses, and got the RC nearly done. It now runs and it just waiting on brake fluid, a fender lip roll, and an alignment. The GTS seems to have a blown throwout bearing, and when I tried to jump it the electrics went nuts. If I can get it to start normally with minimal effort I'll fix the TOB, if I can't sort it out quickly I'll just straight to a V6 swap.

Also I'm about to update the mod list a few posts up.

I wish I could get ahold of the jdm seats in that black/dark grey color. I can't stand these usdm leather seats.

They're quite nice, a lot better than the "grey" (now faded to blue) seats in my GTS. Eventually the skins from these will likely end up in the GTS once I get some nicer recliners for the RC, unless the GTS goes full race car.

Cool celicas!!!I love that MOMO steering wheel,I wish I could find one!

CAR Magazine January 1988 - "The celica happens to be about the best handling FWD car you can buy!"

What area you move to? Going to make it out to the ogopogo??

Project Ava

^ Lower Mission, right by Rotary Beach. I really hope to make it out to part of the Ogopogo, I might disappear for part of the day and rejoin you guys later.

Quote Originally Posted by black_celicagti16 View Post
    Cool celicas!!!I love that MOMO steering wheel,I wish I could find one!
    Thanks! I like the 3 spoke one that I got off a wrecked JDM Celica and tossed in my GTS a bit better, that wheel has a smaller diameter x2 (the diameter of what your hand goes around, whatever you would call that, is much smaller as well) and the 4 spoke tends to make my hands tired as I find I have to grip it quite tightly.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I obviously missed this thread the first time around. Looks like you got a pretty good deal though. PO thought it was in worse shape than it was, and all it needed was minor fixes for the most part.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Pretty much, the "major" issue was the spark plugs and wires along with an intake leak and an exhaust leak to get it driving, but the number of side issues has added up pretty quickly too. The poorly patched rad blew up, the suspension was basically shot, the brakes were toast and the exhaust was literally falling apart as I drove it so it's basically a standard abused old Toyota, the engine will last forever but all the stuff around it was falling apart. Since I wanted to upgrade all that at some point anyways, in the end I think it all worked out. I'm into it for less than the cost of a new, base model Yaris so I think I'm doing okay lol.

Bled the front brakes last night, and tightened up some of the suspension bolts. Insurance is getting put on it tonight, and it's getting aligned Friday. Fingers crossed all goes well between now and Saturday.

Drove it last night, had an odd sound from the passenger rear. Tore it apart tonight, turned out the chicane-shaped ebrake spring pin thinger had gotten stretched/bent so the cap was hitting the back of the studs as the came around. Bent/compressed it back with vicegrips, got the brakes back together and took it for a spin. No funny sounds, the burnoff from the turbo/manifold is gone, and I have a huge grin on my face. Off for an alignment tomorrow and then it's down to suspension tweaks and cosmetics.

Thread Information