CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default EDU me on battery chargers

I'm clueless. I don't have one, nor do I have jumper cables.

I saw an advertisement for Battery Tender products while watching Powerblock this morning on Speed. How are they?
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

A tender puts out a very low charge, like 2 amps. They turn off once a battery reaches a certain voltage,12-13v. These are usually used to keep a battery charged that wont be used for awhile, like my motorcycle thats been sitting for 8 months.
    A charger usually has multiple settings for slow charges like 2 amp, mid charges like 20amp and engine start around 50 amp.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

So ideally, I would want one of each then, correct?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Word

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

I have a trusty Canadian Tire battery charger that is automatic but has settings for 2A, 10A and Boost Start. I usually set it to 2A if i plan on not driving my car for a week or more to keep the battery topped up. If i forget to put the charger on then i use the 10A to charge the battery or if i need to go somewhere and the battery is super dead then i put it on the boost setting to start the car.
    I think i got it on sale for around $40 (normally around $80). Any car shop should have something like this under different names.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

If you don't drive a car for more than a month or two, a battery maintainer/tender is a good idea to extend the life of the battery.

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

Tender for anything that will be sitting for any amount of time. The amount of time depending on weather, amp draw with key off, and the condition of the battery. I wish I had a tender for my yellow top optima a couple years back. Was sitting on a wood block in the garage and wasen't touched for two months, went bad didn't want to take a charge after that. You need jumper cables I know they have saved my ass a few times. I went 3 days with out altenator while it was being rebuilt, charged the batt at the apartment with the charger and drove to work. Then while bsing after work had my buddys truck charging my batt with jumper cables so I could get home.

I really like my black and decker charger/starter. Lots of functionality, 2/10/25 charge mode settings plus a 75amp start mode, accurate voltage display and can set it for battery type: wet/gel/agl. I've had it for years now and it has served me very well. It can also desulfate some "dead" batteries, and has diagnostic codes for open cells etc.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Off topic kinda but if you hook a charger up backwards to a completely flat battery the polarity will reverse. It's happend.

Thread Information