CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    n00b blknblu is on a distinguished road

Default 89 Celica GT Timing Belt ?

I have an 89 Celica Gt 3sfe, automatic trans While coming to a stop from 25mph the engine stalled, upon trying to restart the real fast spin of the starter leads me to believe the Timing Belt has failed. Iam looking to have a shop replace the belt,water pump,idler and tensioner and was wondering what might be a reasonable price for this? Mechanics have quoted between 3 and 6 hours of labor.
    Could any damage to the engine have happened when the belt went?
    110,000 miles on engine no recent work has been done, no indicators of a problem before the stall.
    Thanks in Advance.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That sounds about right for labor. If the mechanic is good, it should be done in 3 hours. It's just a matter of pulling a mount and then getting everything out/in accordingly.

You can pull the upper timing cover (4 or 5 bolts) and inspect the belt going over the cam. The engines (s-series) are non-interface. That means if the valves stop moving due to a timing belt failure (or something else in the head), the pistons will not slap or hit the valves at all if the bottom continues to spin for a few seconds..
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BurnyD, Thanks so much for the reply.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blknblu View Post
    BurnyD, Thanks so much for the reply.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CollapsedNut View Post
    I know right?! lol

I'd hate to see what a mechanic would charge to finish my '89....
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Senior Member Disco Dan is on a distinguished road Disco Dan's Avatar

What if the spinning you're hearing is just the bendix not kicking the starter gear out? When my timing belt went, it still sounded like cranking, but it wouldn't turn over. The only times I've heard the starter spin quickly is when:

a) the starter wasn't kicking the gear out to engage the flywheel, and
    b) when I had the spark plugs out (relieving engine compression).

Even if the timing belt goes bad, the starter should still make the "whur whur whur whur" sound we're used to hearing because it's pushing the pistons into the compressed space of the cylinders. Sure, it's not turning the camshaft, but it's still turning the crankshaft.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a fast spinning starter is a timing belt problem. Sounds like the starter to me.

Dan, Thanks for the reply. The starter is actually spinning the motor over, however it is cranking as though the spark plugs are out.

pull the oil cap or distributor cap off and have someone crank the engine. Easiest way to tell if the cam is spinning.

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cavemanlarry View Post
    pull the oil cap or distributor cap off and have someone crank the engine. Easiest way to tell if the cam is spinning.
    Winner.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Caveman, Thanks for the tip.

UPDATE: I took the Celica to a local shop recommended by a friend. Timing belt was the culprit. Mechanic changed the belt,water pump, idler,tensioner as well as the serpentine belt and anti-freeze. No other engine damage. Cost $503.00.
    Thanks to those of you who responded

That sounds cheap. Glad you got it fixed.

Thread Information