CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust setup.

Default Exhaust setup.

I wanted to get a new exhaust system for my 02 GTS, but not sure what to get.

Can you guys post some pics of your exhaust setup and let me know how it sounds? I want something not too loud, especially highway driving.

I was looking on ebay and checking out the magnaflow system, but would it be better to get a canister style?

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Anything other than stock will be louder, I think a lot of people like the trd one but what i do when i want loud exhaust is just unbolt the muffler and when i want it quiet again i bolt it back up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

It's what's inside a muffler that counts. Almost every stock muffler is baffled; baffled mufflers force exhaust gases to weave through a maze, slowing down and therefore losing volume. The downside is greatly decreased efficiency.

"Turbo" mufflers use a lot less baffles, but still use some and are generally considered obsolete for performance purposes. They do however offer greater ability to tune the note of an exhaust, by choosing different baffle shapes and numbers -- a crude wind instrument, you might say.

Modern performance mufflers use a straight-through design, where a central pipe is wrapped in sound-absorbing insulation. 1950s-era versions used fibreglass for insulation, thus the term glasspack. Fibreglass isn't really a good choice for the application, however, since it tends to break down over time and blow out. Older designs also tended to have louvers projecting into the exhaust stream in order to direct exhaust gases into the insulation. Unfortunately, this introduces a great deal of turbulence into the exhaust flow, which hinders efficiency in much the same manner as a baffled muffler. Good straight-through mufflers use a smooth perforated inner pipe, and wrap it with materials such as ceramic matting and stainless steel wool. These designs offer minimal impairment, which means you can simply use a longer version to reduce the volume more without killing your exhaust efficiency.

The shape of the muffler, really, is of very little importance, aside from baffled mufflers rarely being round. A good straight-through muffler, on the other hand, can be round or oval -- and the oval shape has the benefit of having more insulation without losing ground clearance.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

CelicaTech Supporter bzdweezy is on a distinguished road bzdweezy's Avatar
    bzdweezy has donated to the forums!

Images

I like the way the flowmaster 80 sounds,

http://youtu.be/jwlS144zxc0
    1991 Celica Gt 313,000 miles
    2005 Celica Gt -
    7/9/10- Stage 3 clutch and flywheel installed
    8/24/10- Turbo kit and dyno complete

Thread Information