CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

OK, started working on a small corner of the hood tonight. (Fixing my first attempt at wet sanding before I had done research, doh!). I had previously wet sanded 600, 1500, then 2000 grits on about a 1' x 1' section of my hood. Later on I read not to use anything below 2500 for wet sanding. It had some deep scratches to fix.

Here is what I started with tonight, this is the mess from my previous attempt.

This is my result after tonight on my first ever attempt using the new Porter-Cable 7424XP. I started by wet sanding the area with 2500grit to get the scratches out. I then went over with 3000grit after the scratches were pretty much gone. After that, pulled out the PC and I used the roughest cut pad with ultimate compound and did two passes. It was looking good. I then went over it with the medium pad and Meguiar's M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish. It was looking REAL good after this. For the last step I used the softest pad and Meguiar's M-0716 Mirror Glaze Professional Show Car Glaze. I messed up with this stuff. It was a lot thinner than the other stuff and I guess it dried up quicker and I think I ended up burning it. The shine wasn't as good after this and you could see the lines from my passes.

I think I did OK for my first time. It was definitely a learning experience for sure.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Show Car Glaze, aka M7, is not meant for machine application. It's a hand polish, and a pure polish -- it has no abrasives, only restorative oils. As a result, you can apply it with the orbital buffer but you want to use a finishing pad (you got that part), a slow speed setting -- 3 should do -- and relatively gentle pressure. You're not working the paint with M7, you're just trying to press the oils into it. Actually, the former product guru at Meguiar's Online used to describe the proper technique as being the same as rubbing in skin moisturizer.

M7 doesn't dry -- if you managed to dry it, you really did work it to death. There are two schools of thought on how to remove it. Some advise doing one panel at a time with M7, wiping each panel clean as you go. Others advise, for more experienced users, applying M7 to the whole car then removing it in multiple passes -- go over the car two or three times, rather than trying to remove all of the residue from a given panel in one go. The aforementioned guru, Mike Philips, actually recommends both methods depending upon your experience with M7.

Side note: unless you're trying to tell us what size of bottle you purchased, the last two digits aren't necessary in product descriptions. M205 (read as Mirror Glaze number 205 for those not familiar with Meguiar's) identifies the product. The 16 or 32 identify the number of ounces in the bottle.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Thanks for the info! I went over the area again by hand with the mirror glaze and it came out nice.

I worked on another small section today. Just for reference, this is what my hood normally looks like right after a wash.

And here is what I accomplished today. Same process as yesterday, except did the glaze by hand.

Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

And there's Mirror finish, very nice. Once you do the work the first time, it's a lot easier to maintain. You'll probably never need to use the compound again if you regularly (say every six months to a year, depending upon wear) use the M205.

Just make sure to top the M7 with a good sealant. As a pure polish, it comes off very easily and quickly, particularly in the rain.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Thread Information