CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 95 celica st stalls on cold start only...

hi i have a 95 celica st and my car only stalls when i start the car for the first time of the day. i was having an idling problem before this so i replaced the IACV and TPS. i also replaced my spark plugs wires cap and rotor in the beginning of april before i replaced the IACV and TPS. i checked all those for loose connections. the car has almost 200,000 miles on it so im hoping its not too major. can anybody help me with a diagnosis? if so any insight would be awesome. thank you.
    SHIF-D
    90 CELICA ST "SOLD"
    88 CELICA GT convertible
    95 CELICA ST

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Stalls on the first start of the day, when? Turn the key, engine fires, then stalls? Get the car moving, then stalls? Randomly stalls if the engine is cold?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

i turn the key it starts up and 5 seconds later it stalls
    SHIF-D
    90 CELICA ST "SOLD"
    88 CELICA GT convertible
    95 CELICA ST

And after you start it from a stall, it never stalls again?

If so, that is exactly how my 91 Celica ST ran for a long time. Except for mine, cold startup was good, wouldn't stall until I put it in gear (drive or reverse, auto trans), then it usually stalled once. Restart it, do the same thing, no problem again for the rest of the day. The problem was reduced (but not totally eliminated) when I made sure I ran non-ethanol based fuel in it. My 91 4A-FE engine was the first year w/o the cold start injector sysetm, so I just thought it was due to injector tuning not quite right after a change like that. But your 95 should have had that issue tuned out by then.

well a little different. i noticed today when i was sitting at a light the idle was really low. also i was getting an antifreeze smell.
    SHIF-D
    90 CELICA ST "SOLD"
    88 CELICA GT convertible
    95 CELICA ST

now the car just idles real low and takes a while to stay running in the morning
    SHIF-D
    90 CELICA ST "SOLD"
    88 CELICA GT convertible
    95 CELICA ST

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Time to track down the source of the anti-freeze leak.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

got it fixed. i had a bad battery cable that barely gave enough power. i had my brother look at it for me and he figured it out in 5 minutes. sometimes it just takes a different set of eyes to get it done.
    SHIF-D
    90 CELICA ST "SOLD"
    88 CELICA GT convertible
    95 CELICA ST

Thread Information