CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 88 celica convertible nightmare

i have an 88 celica convertible with a ton of problems that were inherited with the purchase. such as, the rear driver side window motor doesn't work; the top leaks on the driver side; the side view mirror controls do not work; and the heater does not blow anything but room temperature air and all the buttons feel broken or stuck in place. the control is the push button one. im really concerned with the heater, mirror control and the rear window motor. if anybody could help i would appreciate it. why would the blower work but not pump out hot or cold air? it seems like when i press the side view mirror button in the center console it does nothing. could that be a connection or sensor or something else?
    SHIF-D
    90 CELICA ST "SOLD"
    88 CELICA GT convertible
    95 CELICA ST

You need to take each problem and work on it separately, one at a time.

Your heater - I would check if the coolant flow control value for the hot coolant inlet to the heater core is open when you have your heater control temperature knob turned to HOT. Make sure it is closed when this same knob is turned to COLD. If your hot coolant inlet hose flow control valve doesn't move, then check if the cable operating this valve is broken, or if the actuator inside your HVAC control unit is broken.

Fpr the mirror control, I would pull the switch out and check if you are getting power to the switch when the ignition key is in the accessory or ON positions. If you don't have power going to the switch, check your fuse for this circuit. If you do have power going to the switch, check if the switch redirects this power to an outgoing circuit when you activate the switch. If it does, your problem could be the motors in the mirror itself, or the wiring connector at each mirror motor.

Rear quarter window, this will take a lot of work. First, find out if you can still get a new regulator assembly from Toyota. I'm thinking you can't, but you should check. Gosh, there was an 88 or 89 convertible in the salavage yard I go to just a few months ago, not sure it is there anymore, but finding one in a salvage yard would offer you a lot of part options. Anyway, your rear seats and the plastic panel against the side this quarter window would need to be removed. Once removed, you will see the wiring harness for the window motor/regulator assembly. Disconnect that wiring harness, and with a 12VDC test light, see if you get power when trying to use your power window switch with the ignition in the accessory or on position. If you get power, your window motor is shot and needs to be replaced. If you don't get power, you should check your wiring between the switch and this window. Your power to your window switch is OK, because I'll assume you can operate your passenger side quarter window.

Tops seals, have someone spray water outside of the car while you are inside and you check to see where the source of the leak is. If the weather stripping looks to be in otherwise good shape, just put some silicone lubricant over the area where the leak originates and spread it around. It likely will help to reduce the amount of water getting by the seal.

thank you for the help. i just sold the car thank god. somebody elses nightmare
    SHIF-D
    90 CELICA ST "SOLD"
    88 CELICA GT convertible
    95 CELICA ST

Thread Information