CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 1990 ST185 sorta "built" (Cylinder head finished)

I have had this car for about 10 years. Throughout the ten years it has been through a couple of different stages, this thread is about the current stage it's at. I had it finished up (or so I thought) last year, but after I had the AEM tuned and off the dyno...the first drive I took it for, It kicked a shim out of the valvetrain. Time for a head rebuild. The head is in the process of being rebuilt right now with new cams, shimless lifters, dual valve springs, cam gears and possibly a port job.

I'm gonna post up my specs and some pics and keep you all updated on the progress, if you care to take a look. I hope to be driving it again in within a few weeks.

Here are a few pics of the new paint job and wheels. I will have to take some of it now as it is all put together. After I wash it of course.

My specs are as follows. I have some engine pics but I have to look around for them.

Engine:
    -JE pistons 9:1 CR (have to check the bore, but I'm pretty they're .020" over from factory bore)
    -Eagle H-beam rods
    -ARP main & head studs
    -MLS head gasket (need a new one have to measure the old one but I'm pretty sure with that compression ratio it was rather thick)
    -All balanced and blueprinted when rebuilt

Cylinder head (Being built):
    -Ferrea dual valve springs
    -Shimless "bucket" conversion
    -GSC 268 cams i/e
    -ATS adjustable cam gears
    (They do a port and polish for a pretty minimal price, debating having them do it for me)

Fuel system:
    -Wolfkatz sidefeed fuel rail
    -Supra TT 550cc injectors
    -Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    -Aeromotive adjustable FPR
    -awesome OEM fuel filter

Engine management:
    -AEM EMS
    -AEM UEGO

Turbo:
    -KO racing Street Brawler T3/T4 50trim .63 A/R
    -Sweet Turbo XS MBC (anodized blue )
    -FMIC setup
    -Turbo XS RFL BOV

Drivetrain:
    -ACT 6 puck cluctch (unsprung)
    -Solid shifter bushings

Suspension:
    -GAB adjustables and lowering springs (rear)
    -Lowering springs (front)
    -SS Adjustable swaybar endlinks

Other mods/changes:
    3" straight intake, Full 3" exhaust, AC delete, EGR delete, Charcoal canister delete, T-vis delete, ATS knock sensor, no more crappy AFM

Also, working on sourcing a 3sge sidefeed manifold (found a couple out of state)

The head should be done in the next couple of weeks and should be able to get it back together and rolling within a couple of days after I get it back.
    Last edited by C-dubb; 07-17-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: title

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Woot!!!

I'm glad you made it over man! We definitely need to hook up with Eric this summer....
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Hookecho
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Haha. Yeah, I figured I would expand my horizons and get involved over here. I like it so far. We most definitely will have to get together this summer. Eric has been helpin me out with a few things here and there, Just got me the hookup on a couple gauges.

The car should be rollin soon though. You still in Kalamazoo?

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Can't wait to see this in person! Where are you having the head work done, somewhere in GR I'm guessing?

No, he's not living in Kalamazoo anymore, but we vist intermittently, about once a month.

p.s. In case you haven't figured it out yet, this is Chris' gf.
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

Oh hey. Didn't know it was you but now I do. ha.
    A place in Jenison called Performance Engineering is doing the head work. They're the ones that build my engine initially and when I had the problem with the shim they agreed to make sure it was put together properly in the first place and fix it if it wasn't.

Looking forward to letting you check it out in person, as soon as I get it back on the road!

Sweet build! Have any pics of the engine bay without the paper over it? Also, what did that beast throw down hp-wise??
    '93 GT Coupe (money bags jr)

'90 AllTrac (money bags sr)

Thanks man. Here are a few pics of the car as it sits right now.

Can't find any shots of the engine bay...I'll look around and see what I've got.

It dynod on a mustang all wheel dyno and It hit around 290whp at 22psi. The injectors were maxed out and We were having some ignition problems. Not the greatest numbers. With fixing the ignition issue and upping the fuel pressure and new head build I'm hoping to hit around 350whp. We'll see what happens.

That 290 felt pretty damn fast though!

Thanks man. Here are a few pics of the car as it sits right now.

Can't find any shots of the engine bay...I'll look around and see what I've got.

It dynod on a mustang all wheel dyno and It hit around 290whp at 22psi. The injectors were maxed out and We were having some ignition problems. Not the greatest numbers. With fixing the ignition issue and upping the fuel pressure and new head build I'm hoping to hit around 350whp. We'll see what happens.

That 290 felt pretty damn fast though!

Finally got the cylinder head back from the machine shop.

GSC 268 degree cams, Shimless buckets, Ferrea dual valve springs, and ATS adjustable cam gears. Should flow a little better now!

Still waiting on the Cometic head gasket I ordered, then It's going back together.

Nice color...

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Get that fucker running already!
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Wanted to get it assembled with a top feed fuel rail and some 800cc injectors but that will have to wait until the next paycheck...

The engine is all back together, thanks to the help of Eric (speedricer) coming over last night to give me a hand. The trouple now is a starting issue (electrical) My starter isn't rolling over at all so I have to go get a multimeter and see what I can find out. Here are some picks of the engine back together.

^^ This little bastard gave me the fight of my life. never ever doing the upper timing belt in the engine bay ever again. F timing belt tensioners.

I'm gonna see what I can figure out with the starter, hopefully it's something little...heres hoping.

It's been a while since I posted in here so I wanted to update. I see a lot of new project threads that i want to take a look at too!

Since I last posted there have been a few changes to my build. Had it tuned, blew a turbo, new turbo, upgraded fuel system, new tune, dynoed, here are the results and an explanation of what I'm doing now to correct an issue that limited us to 300awhp at only 15psi and 48% duty cycle on the fuel injectors.

You can see where the ignition cuts out. I thought it would hold out for more power, but apparently not. This is at 15psi. The tune with the new cams and fuel system has a pretty different dynamic, making higher power at lower pressure. (The last time on the dyno the car made 290@22psi)

I upgraded the ignition system. went with a MSD A6, MSD blaster 3 coil, and Magnecor kv85 plug wires. I hope to get it on the dyno again within the next few weeks to see where we are at and if this has corrected the problem.

I will include more dyno vids and pics, for some reason the tuner didn't even let us come back while he was working. Doing the tuning ourselves next time.
    for now, here are some photos......and let me know what you guys think, any feedback or thoughts on my setup what kind of power im making with it, i welcome any constructive input. thanks.

Last edited by C-dubb; 02-08-2014 at 02:01 AM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Broke links man!!

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSleeper View Post
    Broke links man!!
    The links work for me, whats a better way to host and insert pics?

Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    The links work for me, whats a better way to host and insert pics?
    Upload them to the Gallery here.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Some Issues I'm sorting out with the Ignition and tuning

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...t-5500-6200rpm

Thread Information