CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 1988 Alltrac st165 project/cleanup

Just bought a st165 from tspoon and I fell in love. I was wanting a st185 but with all the extra things that came with the car and price I couldn't resist. With every trac comes its problems.
    -The fan is hardwired do the sensors/thermostat go out or even relays?
    -Bushings and subframe mounts are going out. I am going to be ordering some from mario in a few weeks. Easy to do? any pointers?
    -Clutch..my friend and I will be doing that so I think that should be ok.
    -the sunroof does not sit flat? One of the rear sides of the sunroof sits up about a half inch. Any suggestions?

Other than that nice clean and should be a nice weekender compared to the daily integra. I will keep everyone updated with pics soon.

PingPong
    ST-184.. 1990 Toyota Celica GT-S(Sold)
    ST-165.. 1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac(Project/weekender)
    ............ 1995 Acura Integra LS(Daily Driver)

Last edited by pingpong21; 01-30-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Congrats on making the purchase. It was a hell of a deal and surprised it stayed unsold for so long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahSleeper View Post
    Congrats on making the purchase. It was a hell of a deal and surprised it stayed unsold for so long.
    Tell me bout it?! but now comes the work and dedication to get this beauty up to tip shot shape..and what is funny is that tspoon lives literally 5min away from me

Default Brakes

Alrighty first off I wanna thank Tspoon for the help. Just decided to do some minor things today particularly the brakes. Then a trim piece broke off i will take a pic of that later hopefully its an easy fix to find the clips to put it back on. Tried to fix the sunroof but thats for another day. Enjoy the pics I will keep everyone posted.

PingPong

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Nice! Once you own a 165 you'll appreciate it even more! Glad his car went to a good home.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Nice! Once you own a 165 you'll appreciate it even more! Glad his car went to a good home.
    I know I am falling in Love with it. I am glad I bought it, needs some work but it makes me get to know the car. Technically it is still at Tspoons place for now lol

Alright now comes the major work. I know the clunking in the back is the diff mount but for the noise towards the front of the car sounded like road noise but tspoon thought it was a wheel bearing or something to do with stearing.( i will post a video soon) What does a car with a bad bearing sound like?

I don't think it's a wheel bearing but I suppose it could be. It's been going on for way too long with no symptoms that I've ever seen. It does sound like something rotating, which is why I thought maybe something in the steering, or axles or something. Never heard a sound like it before though, so I dunno.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Have you ever pulled the engine or tranny? I might check things out when I replace the clutch. Sounds like an axle or something related.

Quote Originally Posted by pingpong21 View Post
    Have you ever pulled the engine or tranny? I might check things out when I replace the clutch. Sounds like an axle or something related.
    Nope, never did, and if I die never having done that to an alltrac I think I'd die happy
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Quote Originally Posted by T-spoon View Post
    Nope, never did, and if I die never having done that to an alltrac I think I'd die happy
    Well Mister I should be doing that sometime in the near future so if you would like to help haha I think when my friends and I pull the engine and tran we will figure it out and everything.

Default Cleaned up ready for fixes.

Just gave her the car wash she needed but now to the things i might have a problem doing. here are two pictures, one i am missing the clips to hold on the frame/bezel/trim piece and idk where to get one or what i should do. secondly the sunroof has a "lift" only on one side and i cannot figure out why and plus it does not slide only tilts. Any ideas? Either way the clutch job and rear diff should be in the works within the next month thats not gonna be fun. i will keep everyone posted

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

I would say hit a junkyard for the clips.

sunroof I have no clue on. May have to just start removing shit to get better eye's on the track for it.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

When I looked briefly at the sunroof before, the previous owner had clearly been trying to troubleshoot it cause it's not entirely back together.. but in any event, there seem to be little "arms" with rollers on them, and it looked like maybe they are supposed to clip into a groove or nest somehow. If that's true, it's possible the one on that side isn't in it's groove/slot/whathaveyou, but if so, you might have to take off the interior trim piece to get a better look because I couldn't see what the hangup was in its current condition. The clips are possibly still obtainable from Toyota, might check with Lithia Toyota (vendor forum).
    –verb (used with object)

Default Clutch Time

Finalliy bought the clutch yayyy. Stage 3, 6 puck should be installed in the car in about 2 weeks. Just wanted to put some pictures of it on here. Slowly but steadily it is coming together.

P.S. My gf's gonna buy me a paintjob Now thats awesome but she said she has to pick the color dont worry i told her no Pink lol.

PingPong

Default Clutch time?! Not yet lol Diff time :)

Well I got the clutch and was so ready to pull the engine and trans but then decided the clutch was actually really really good grabbing. Went ahead and held that off for now and cleaned the car up a little with the other things wrong :/

Got to the garage getting ready

Hoods up work starts

Took the undercover off was crappy anyway looks cleaner too

Looks way cleaner

had to fix my window switch just had bad connectors( my gf is happy now to roll down her own window)

Tried to get the fog lights working but there is a problem getting the power to the fogs

Alright next post should be for the diff. or differential mount

PingPong

Cool Boost leaks and custom solid diff mount

First off I would like to say thank you to my friend Richard S. for welding the diff mount. Feels amazing Alright started the day with fixing boost leaks major MAJOR boost leaks. Anyone know besides at the stealership where i can get the rubber connector, connecting the intercooler to the throttle body? Lets get started with the pictures.

UP UP you go lol

Supported everything

Diff is out ( was easy actually )

Before aka crappy

My good friend welding a solid piece of metal instead of the rubber

Grind grind grind make it look pretty

All pretty and solid( will show a picture of the finished product installed soon)

**Note when putting a mount back on it is WAY WAY easier to bolt the mount onto the subframe first then the diff then bolt the diff back up.

The goats decided to help

So amazing to have the back tight and no CLUNKS haha. If anyone wants it done my friend says he might be able to do them for a charge. Located in Gig harbor, wa or just pm me. Now i can boost and wont have to worry about the rear end falling out on me lol. Will keep you guys updated on other things.

PingPong

For the TB-I/C coupler I'd check Lithia Toyota (yaknow, board vendor ). If you want to go aftermarket, I believe ATS has some options for a different setup there.
    –verb (used with object)

Quote Originally Posted by T-spoon View Post
    For the TB-I/C coupler I'd check Lithia Toyota (yaknow, board vendor ). If you want to go aftermarket, I believe ATS has some options for a different setup there.
    Sweet sounds good i have the item # so that works too.

Great pickup. Body looks good and TC wheels are a nice touch, needs to be a little more flush with the fender for my liking but still looks good. If you ever decide to get rid of the fender gap and go lower I do have a set of B&G lowering springs 1.6 drop for sale, practically new. Good luck with project though. Keep us posted =)

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

looking good, its nice to see another ST165
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Quote Originally Posted by saki10man View Post
    Great pickup. Body looks good and TC wheels are a nice touch, needs to be a little more flush with the fender for my liking but still looks good. If you ever decide to get rid of the fender gap and go lower I do have a set of B&G lowering springs 1.6 drop for sale, practically new. Good luck with project though. Keep us posted =)
    i do want to space it just im gonna try to get it road worthy first lol you got a pm too body is straight and is actually a clean half not raped st165 haha

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog82 View Post
    looking good, its nice to see another ST165
    Thanks I am wanting to do a straight intake and try just to make it a clean st165. I had a st184 and now i love the 165 i am extremely glad i grabbed her up, feels good that another alltrac isnt being parted out or trashed. Any pointers to a new st165 owner?

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

not really, im still a new st165 owner myself. My AllTrac is still under construction lol, check out my project thread.
    http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...ild&highlight=
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog82 View Post
    not really, im still a new st165 owner myself. My AllTrac is still under construction lol, check out my project thread.
    http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...ild&highlight=
    What a project thread. Man yours is so much more clean haha congrats i love st165

Thread Information