CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Default If I buy parts from Lithia Toyota - am I guaranteed they are OEM parts?

I ask because I am getting ready to put a clutch in my ST - and I find that actually the price on Lithia Toyota site for the combined clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing is less than the NAPA price for the complete kit from NKK - even taking into consideration shipping charges.

So I KNOW NKK is Japanese parts that are probably OEM - so can I be sure that Lithia Toyota always has OEM parts made in Japan?
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I would say yes. You are buying from a Toyota dealership. I son think they sell anything other than oem or trd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

NKK aint no japanese toyota parts.

If youre getting something from Lithia, its OEM toyota. Period.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Actually, I think NKK is an OEM supplier for Toyota. There's lots of companies that supply them.

And yes, I'm sure they only sell OEM parts.

Sure you dont mean NSK Jeremy? Cause I know NSK is.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold

OK - so I'll take the plunge here and order from Lithia Toyota so I can help the sponsorship of Celicatech.

One thing about "mail order" parts is that you don't get to see them before you buy them. Another thing is that if there are any problems - it is a real PITA to get them sorted out. Plus - regardless of return policy or prices there is always shipping charges involved.

NAPA's Altrom Imports line is pretty good. I did some research and found some Canadian discussion forums where people that bought the Altrom parts before NAPA bought Altrom said that the parts are generally re-boxed OEM parts.

Even so - Altrom has a line "Ultra-8" that are Chinese parts - so you've always got to watch out what you are buying.

Toyota does not have any bearing factories - anymore than they have clutch disc factories - they buy these parts from suppliers that meet their quality standards.

If I buy from NAPA - I can just go to the store and put my own eye on the thing - I can't do that with mail order parts.

I don't have anything against Chinese - but I have been in mainland China for maybe 16 weeks of my life working on test systems in automotive manufacturing plants. I know these Chinese to take ANY possible short cut to save even 1/100th of a penny on the cost. (Think melamine in your baby formula here). These short cuts go down the ladder to the very steel the parts are made from.

I will not have a mainland Chinese part in my car.

Period.

Taiwan is OK - but not mainland China.

So - I will make the order right now - and I certainly hope that the price does not change after I make my order!

If it does - I will simply cancel the order and never do business on the internet again for OEM parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Sure you dont mean NSK Jeremy? Cause I know NSK is.
    http://www.japanautopages.com/compan...tch-co-ltd.php

Don't know whether or not NKK is OEM - but at least know they are Japanese and I can trust the quality.

I'll go with what I get from Lithia - it is actually about $50 cheaper even after the shipping - plus I can get some other OEM items I need in the process (like the snap rings for the front wheel bearings and OEM oil filters) with little to no extra shipping charges.

There are one or two parts that we sell that are not OEM because the aftermarket version makes more sense - for example, one of the heater hoses in an SW20 - but we clearly label it as aftermarket, and the buyer knows up front that he is not getting an OEM part. Other than that, it's all either OEM Toyota or TRD.

Most of the clutch discs and pressure plates (as well as many brake calipers, alternators, starters, etc) that Toyota sells are remanufactured. This will be obvious because the part will carry a core charge and/or the part number will have -84 attached to the end of it. A Toyota reman part may have been remanufactured in the US, Mexico, or Canada, but it was remanufactured to Toyota's standards, which is more important (to me, anyway) than the country of origin or the original manufacturer who supplied it to Toyota when new.

I don't remember seeing NKK on anything, but then we don't usually open the box here to check for brand names. Toyota has very high standards and much more rigid test procedures than we do, so I am comfortable letting them decide who makes good parts and who is qualified to remanufacture them. I don't think Toyota specifies the country in which they have to be built or rebuilt but they damn sure specify the standard of quality, and that's what makes a product useful and usable. Most OEM Toyota accessories for the North American market are built by North American suppliers exclusively for North American vehicles and customers. They're not built in Toyota's own plants. Neither are the Denso alternators we use, or the Aisin hydraulics. Drawing the line between "OEM Toyota" and everything else can be difficult for those who try to overthink it.

Just to further muddy the waters and give the over-analyzers something to argue semantics over, consider these points:
    1) Not all Japanese parts manufacturers are OEM suppliers.
    2) Not all Japanese made parts are built to OEM (or specifically Toyota) levels of quality.
    3) Not all "OEM Toyota" parts are made in Japan.
    4) People who express a strong allegiance to a country of origin or manufacturer are typically no better informed or educated than any other randomly chosen citizen.

If you had any idea how many old men refuse to buy from us because we don't offer Fram filters, number four would really resonate. These are people who stopped learning about cars in the mid-60s, people who get their automotive advice at a feed store or a barber shop, but they preach with all the certainty of any other zealot.
    NOTICE: As of 15 January 2013, I am no longer associated with Lithia Toyota of Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Willis View Post
    4) People who express a strong allegiance to a country of origin or manufacturer are typically no better informed or educated than any other randomly chosen citizen.

If you had any idea how many old men refuse to buy from us because we don't offer Fram filters, number four would really resonate. These are people who stopped learning about cars in the mid-60s, people who get their automotive advice at a feed store or a barber shop, but they preach with all the certainty of any other zealot.
    Well - that is "interesting" - to say the least!

Made my mind up in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by klapa; 04-24-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klapa View Post
    Well - that is "interesting" - to say the least!
    "Interesting" is a very diplomatic term! It's also frustrating when someone who can't tell Valvoline from Mazola will trumpet one brand of motor oil over another. People with no engineering background whatsoever refuse to consider Toyota's own Denso spark plugs because they've been convinced that the only spark plugs worth buying are NGK. This happens more often than you'd imagine, and it's taken years for me to learn to just let them talk.

You've spent time in manufacturing environments; your experience in Chinese plants, as short as 16 weeks may be, is infinitely more than that of those who simply repeat what they hear about car stuff. I'm not saying all opinions or viewpoints are invalid by any means, but that many people who preach about brand or origin are simply regurgitating what they have heard from others who are often equally uninformed.

Made my mind up in a heartbeat.
    I hope you aren't saying that you think there was a slam against you in that. The word "typically" was chosen for a reason, and your experience is anything but typical. Certainly not trying to suggest that people should just blindly accept whatever we choose to feed them, but I did want to raise some other points for general consideration (by everyone), and you seem to be on the same page as we are on this subject.

You mentioned a concern over the price changing after you place the order. Has that happened to you before? We do post a disclaimer that oversized or extra heavy parcels may cost more to ship than the website estimates, but other than that, it's pretty much as shown. Most orders actually get a small refund on shipping since the website estimate is often a little higher than necessary.
    NOTICE: As of 15 January 2013, I am no longer associated with Lithia Toyota of Springfield.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

So are you saying you will not be buying from a dealership?

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

I forgot to mention that we are always available to answer specific questions about a part before placing an order if need be. We are enthusiasts too, and we know that what's correct on paper is not always what people really need. Been on the other side of the counter and been handed the wrong part, or something we couldn't or wouldn't use, way too many times to do that to our customers now.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

OEM Toyota might be better read as OEM for Toyota - as I stand next to my Yamaha-engined Celica....
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    OEM Toyota might be better read as OEM for Toyota - as I stand next to my Yamaha-engined Celica....
    True for every single car manufacturer in the world. I'm amazed it isn't considered common knowledge at this point.. then again, I shouldn't really be amazed by anything regarding parts and perceptions/misconceptions anymore.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Willis View Post
    You mentioned a concern over the price changing after you place the order. Has that happened to you before? We do post a disclaimer that oversized or extra heavy parcels may cost more to ship than the website estimates, but other than that, it's pretty much as shown. Most orders actually get a small refund on shipping since the website estimate is often a little higher than necessary.
    Klapa had an issue with 1sttoyotaparts.com. A part was listed for an incorrect, cheaper price, unbeknownst to him and he placed an order. They called him before they shipped the order and let him know that the price had been incorrect, and that they could not sell it for the price listed. They gave him the option to cancel his order, or pay the correct price for the part, which I believe they promptly updated the price on their website. They handled the situation as professionally as possible given the circumstances, but needless to say Klapa was pretty pissed off about their advertised price not being honored.
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

I see. That kind of thing can happen. Ours is a Trademotion site, just like 1sttoyotaparts, and we have to rely on Trademotion to keep their data current and correct. Sometimes it isn't, and sometimes we don't find out until an order is placed. We do ask Trademotion to update part numbers and prices when they've fallen behind, but regardless, I don't know of any business that doesn't reserve the right to correct errors. There are thousands of part numbers to keep up with, decades worth of cars, dozens of models - honest mistakes are going to be made, period. That's not deceptive or dirty by any means. I'm sorry klapa wasn't happy with the choices the other dealership gave him, but we would have handled it the same way.

Screw 1stToyotaParts and Lithia too -
    You've not yet done any business with us. We haven't earned that from you. But I can see that this was addressed in the other thread, and there is no value in rehashing it here.

Thread Information