CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy radio says "help" after the car was shipped with a dead battery

Hey guys, I've done some poking around and haven't found much. I've got a 93 gt-s with the stock system 10 in it and when I finally got it back after moving cross country I hooked up a new battery, started it up and found the radio wouldn't do anything but light up with help on the lcd. I've never heard of anything like this and am hoping you guys can shed some light.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

You'll have to go to the dealership, it's an anti-theft device built into the Celica's stock system since it was among the best available at the time. The radio locks itself -- original owner should have had an unlock code, but take proof of ownership to the dealership and you should be able to get them to provide an unlock code.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Alright thanks. I called around to the dealerships near me, $110 is the best price to unlock it I'm going to get. I'll probably call a bit further out and If I can't get anywhere I'll just be installing a new head unit =/

Ouch... at that price I would just replace it, just make sure you get the correct wiring harness to swap over. It sounds like you have a System 10 Stereo, and those use a slightly different harness as the amp isn't in the unit but instead under the passenger seat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

$110 to punch in a code on your head unit!? What kind of fucking bullshit is that. All you need from them is the code itself, they dont even have to touch your car. What a rip off.

do you have the original owners manual? Should be a card in there with a code on it. I would dig around in any paperwork you might have on it and see if you can locate the code.

Edit: you are looking for a 3 digit code

These places may be able to help for less than the dealer charges but I know nothing about them:
    http://www.radio-code.lt/
    http://www.radio-code.com/ToyotaPayPageradiocode.htm
    Last edited by Facime; 04-12-2011 at 02:47 AM.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Facime View Post
    $110 to punch in a code on your head unit!? What kind of fucking bullshit is that. All you need from them is the code itself, they dont even have to touch your car. What a rip off.

do you have the original owners manual? Should be a card in there with a code on it. I would dig around in any paperwork you might have on it and see if you can locate the code.

Edit: you are looking for a 3 digit code

These places may be able to help for less than the dealer charges but I know nothing about them:
    http://www.radio-code.lt/
    http://www.radio-code.com/ToyotaPayPageradiocode.htm
    Ya - that really is a rip.

I have the same problem with the unit in my GT-S parts car - it just sits there with the word "security" on the display.

I have the complete owners manual with service records too - but nobody ever wrote down that code.

Oh well - it's just a cassette rig anyway - I might think about saving it if it was an "8-track" lol. It would be good to be able to play the radio so I could hear what the System 10 sounds like.
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

yeah, I'd be willing to give one of those code sites a try but with it saying "help" I think its past the point where you can type in codes. I'm thinking about taking it out and seeing if theres some kind of reset on the inside or something that lets me get back to where it says security and I can enter a code. Thanks for the help anyway guys and if anyone can point me towards parts needed to switch to a new head unit ( sounds like I need one with dual preamps but thats about all I know ) and if theres a way to save the cupholders that would be helpful too.

I may be able to get you your code, I have to talk to the parts dept and see if they'll get it for me without owner info.
    I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.

No luck today.
    The parts manager is the only guy that will know what I'm talking about [everyone else had no clue], and he's not here today.

We have to call a number and will need some info off of your radio. It's not as simple as it sounds to you.

I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Well thanks for trying, let me know if you get anywhere or need anything from me. I'll go out to the car in a bit and pull all of the numbers I can find.

Alright, i guess we don't call anymore [it's been a while].
    I just need the number on the face of the radio.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

^ is it the same for the Canadian ones? I need mine unlocked for when I sell the car.

Is the number your looking for 16804?

Possibly, the parts manager wasn't in, I'll talk to him on Tues.

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Well - for once I was "wise" and did what Celicatech told me to do - I sat down and read my owners manual cover to cover!

While I was doing that I stumbled upon my code on the NEXT TO THE LAST page of my manual!

For me - I did not have "HELP" on my display - I had "SEC" displayed. According to my manual - if SEC is displayed it means that the anti-theft system has been activated and you need to enter the code to deactivate it and be able use my audio system. The code is three digits and entered by pressing the "scan" button while the "tune/seek" button is held down to the right (^) position. At that time the display should from "SEC" to "---". Then you enter the three digit code - "487" in my case - by pressing the "1" "2" and "3" keys the appropriate number of times. Then, with the number still appearing in the display you press the "SCAN" button, and everything turns off.

After that - I turned on the radio - and VIOLA! - I got me sum tunes man!

My manual also states that you have 9 tries to enter the security code correctlly - on the 10th time you enter te incorrect code the display will show "HELP".

At that time - (verbatim from the manual):

"NOTICE:

A tenth error will activate the anti-theft system and "HELP" will appear on the display. The audio system will be completely inoperable. At this time, the indicator light also comes on. If this occurs, contact your Toyota dealer."

I hope you have good luck - I'm happy I saw this thread and got mine working as I did not notice that the thing has a CD as well as a cassette, so it is worth keeping original.

**EDIT**
    But..... FALSE ALARM - the CD don't work and the right channel is out for everything.
    Last edited by klapa; 04-17-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added information
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Thread Information