CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Tool list for newbies

Hey guys,

If you don't know already I'm pretty new to working on cars and actually COMPLETELY new to owning a car!

So I thought it would really benefit me and maybe some other members to create a list of tool one would need to do most jobs around a Celica.

I'm going to be swapping the engine out of my 92' GT-S, replacing the timing belt, changing the front bearings, replacing the air intake, and replacing most of the rear suspension.

I'll be using most of my dads tools, he used to do HVAC so he's got quite a few wrenches, ratchets and sockets. (but they are really un organized... and there are imperial and metric all mixed in there...) I've got a cordless impact driver, drill press, bench grinder, angle grinder and a few other misc. tools.

What are the major bolt sizes on the celica? (not sure if there are major sizes) What size bolt would I be mainly dealing while taking out the engine and drive shafts? I want to buy my own set of wrenches and sockets, and I'm thinking of buying a few quality wrenches, to be my go to wrenches.

Thanks!
    Currently Driving:
    1992 Celica GT-S with a dead 5S-FE
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

in other words, the bus...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

I suggest you invest in one of these:

Craftsman Mechanics Tool Set

That will cover pretty much everything you will need minus a few odds and ends like a good torque wrench, a socket for removing your CV nut (I don't remember what size, 27mm I think? That's what comes to mind.) and some other small stuff.

The best thing is craftsman tools are guaranteed for life. Don't listen to elitists who say you need to go with Matco or Snap-On. Those tools are great for professional mechanics but not necessary for hobbyists as Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life anyway. (Go into a store with a broken tool at any time and exchange it for a new one with no hassle.)
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

standard sizes are typicaly. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 24mm

cv hub nut is a 30mm nutt

all you need is a good set of wrenches. a breaker bar misc sockets listed above ratchets and a 24mm wrench is prob the biggest you need. its nice to have one if you ever drain your tranny

Monkey with a screwdriver kungFUBAR is on a distinguished road kungFUBAR's Avatar
    kungFUBAR has been to an annual Dragon Meet! kungFUBAR has donated to the forums!

Images

Seriously...outside of the axle nuts and a few others, you can disassemble your entire car with 10mm, 12mm, 15mm and 17mm sockets.
    Remember kids, speed kills. So do forks.

It's a work in progress...Dragon 2011 2012?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Make sure you get extra 10 and 12mm.

There's never one around when you need it, and when you need a 10mm you'll find all your 12mm and vice versa.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

As mentioned, start out with a standard metric wrench set and metric socket set. An 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm to start with will go along way on these cars.
    David Walker
    ------------------

Awesome guys!

Thanks!

Quick questions, what do you thinking of this socket set?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1302622347526

I remember my teacher back in High School talking about the Mastercraft Maxium Line of tools and how they weren't really Master"crap" like the rest of mastercraft. This set is on sale till the end of the week. I've got both a pneumatic and battery powered impact driver.

Anyone use anything like this? Think its worth it?
    Currently Driving:
    1992 Celica GT-S with a dead 5S-FE

in other words, the bus...

EDIT... Didn't read the above post very well... :S
    1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
    BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
    2005 Scion tC FW21
    1985 AW11
    1987 AW11

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

For a at home tools set. I always say craftsman. Hell I'm a mecanic by trade and most of my tools I use at work are craftsman except for my air tools and they are ingersol-rand. But my sockets and wrenches are craftsman.

Snap-on/matco are great tools but very expensive.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

19 mm will be required for suspension work -- all the big bolts in the rear I discovered.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Thread Information