CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech

View Poll Results: Automotive work with or without assistance?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • With assistance

3 6.52%
  • Without assistance

19 41.30%
  • Depends on the job

24 52.17%
  • I pay someone to do all my work

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ο κρύος εναγκαλισμός της αιωνιότητας. Borinal will become famous soon enough Borinal will become famous soon enough Borinal's Avatar
    Borinal has donated to the forums! Borinal helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Borinal helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Borinal helped get Play's clutch job done. Borinal helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

With someone, you get a lot more done when you stroke eachothers cawks.

But I do think that you can have too many hands. Sometimes one person is all that can effectively do a specific job. So you can trade off or just keep company, observe/learn, or delegate your knowledge. Usually I am the one being schooled.
    R.I.P. v

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I sold my MR2 for a pair of fake tits I never got to play with...

Always desire more than you believe that you can achieve.
    Unlocking the occult secrets of the esoteric.
    Θα είμαι α μακαρίτες ψυχή σύντομα μετά από: Dies Mercurii xi, Maius, MMV.

I work alone [at work], except for when and engine/trans is coming out, or I have something heavy to move. And usually when I do a truck frame replacment we work in pairs.

At home, usually alone. If I work with a friend I talk too much.

Once my daughter is old enough I'm going to put a wrench in her hands.

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

I work alone generally because I have to - there is nobody to help.
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

I enjoy working on my car with my son. Great father/son time. Not only do we get to "hang out" but he also gets exposure to mechanical work. Also gives another set of eyes for safety - just in case.

91 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by alltracman78 View Post
    Once my daughter is old enough I'm going to put a wrench in her hands.
    She will grow to be the perfect woman! Best-Dad-evar!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Quote Originally Posted by BurnyD Jr View Post
    Curious as to how everyone else works on their vehicles.

Personally, for large jobs (transmission or engine installation/removal) I tend to like a second set of eyes for safety reasons.

For smaller things, I usually am better working on my own and thinking things through. Just yesterday I changed the oil and had my wife out there with me and I forgot to replace the stupid drain plug gasket and ended up dripping oil out like crazy.
    same here

usually work with someone else mainly because i dont always have the motivation to get out and do what needs to be done. ill drag the wife out for the little stuff and once our daughter gets old enough she will be helping me as much as i can get her out the house she already is attached to my ancle everywhere i go so it shouldnt be to hard
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

I work with someone as a gopher. "Hey, Gopher this" or "hey gopher that" I do it mainly because when you are elbows deep under a car, it makes the job so much easier for someone to hand you tools.

If they get annoying at a really stressful point, I always send them for some obscure tool that I know is on the bottom of some tool box, hidden away somewhere, to get them out of my hair for a while.... Then when they come back, Miraculously I have done the job without that tool.

I finally had one buddy ask me. "are you sending me because you need the tool, or do you just want me to go away for 5 minutes" I said "just go away" he was cool with it, and came back 5 minutes later and helped me with the next step in the project, even brought me a coke (sealed... he didn't spit in it) LOL

Have been in the mechanical business for more than 50 years. Don't have the patience to put up with someone that doesn't already know what we are doing. Even when I do charity work for others, I generally send them away until I am done. I do occasionally take on an apprentice, & teach them what I can, before I send them out on their own.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Holy thread bump batman.

Quote Originally Posted by CollapsedNut View Post
    I work alone cause I have no friends who know anything about cars.
    Same here, I've got a bunch of friends who are "car people" but really don't know shit about working on cars. I recently came to the realization that I don't really have any friends interested in the same hobbies I have. Which is why I quit rock climbing and do damn near everything else solo. For my own safety I should probably find someone to do some of this stuff with but I hate meeting new people.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Thread Information