CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    gen5

Default Found a new trick!!

Washed the car earlier and I've somewhat neglected it lately so I had my work cut out for me. I was having trouble with the rearend where there was a lot of exhaust crap buildup. I normally use Black Magic car wash soap, works well, but a lot of this crap wouldn't come off. So I decided to grab my bottle of Purple Power that I use on my wheels and gave it a try on the bumper. Guess what? The grime ran off like a scalded dog! So I washed and rinsed the bumper real good, dried it and waited about half an hour while I downed some Coronas to see if anyhting happened. It looked great so I proceeded to wash the whole car with my bucket of soapy water and a squirt of Purple Power every so often. It was the easiest wash I've ever done. That was about 2 hours ago and no signs of damage thus far. I'll let you know again in a few days if something goes bad, but as for now, Purple Power is my new car wash of choice!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

It does strip all the wax off though, so make sure you rinse thoroughly and wax your car.

gen5

Oh, I hadn't noticed that yet. Thanks! I will never own another white car. When I was shopping around for a Celica I really didn't want anything that needed body work. When I found this one I wasn't too hot on the white but I do think these cars look good in it. The reason I ended up getting it is because the paint job was less than a month old and it had been done at the Toyota dealership by the owners brother. It is about a year and 4 months old now. Anyway, what I'm getting at is I guess I hadn't noticed the wax missing since the paint is so new and shiney. Thanks again for the tip!

I woudln't take that shit anywhere near my paint.

You didn't think to use a claybar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - because we can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - my site

- my blog

- Texas Coffee Revolution

gen5

Don't have one. I was mainly trying to get rid of the exhaust/soot spots, nothing with texture you could feel. i don't know much about wash and wax. I enjoyed your write up for the guy about waxing. Tell me ore about claybars and wax blocking.

ugh that stuff should NEVER be near your paint. If i get some on my paint when i'm doing my wheels I immediately wash it off. I would suggest using goo gone or a clay bar to get that crap off your bumper.

Clay bars basically strip all the wax and crud and excess off your car. it seals all the crud in itself, and you work the bar to a side without stuff ground in it. The bars do a GREAT job at establishing a clean base to start waxing from.
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

The purpose of the clay bar is to remove embedded contaminants from teh paint.. which leaves the paint bare-ass naked. So a layer of wax is absolutely necessary after use.

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

i use that stuff to clean my engine when i cant get simple green
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Quote Originally Posted by 91stxman
    i use that stuff to clean my engine when i cant get simple green
    Neither is good. Citrus cleaners have a corosive affect on aluminum.. guess what your head is made of.

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

simple green is not a citrus cleaning product.

Yes it is.
    Last edited by MoralWarfare; 04-26-2005 at 11:54 PM.

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

kainroh13psi

thats how u clean metal though? by taking some off then polishing it so it wont happen again. if u jsut use a citrus cleaner on it looks great.. for a day or to then it oxidizes again. but if u seel it after with a silicon based product ur all set.

and about using rim cleaner on paint. i bet the long term effect are bad it says on the bottle to not get on paint. also cleaning your car with hot water helps alot.
    leave the bucket in the sun for a while then put ur soap in.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Rim cleaners, for the most part, are acidic. Acid is bad for your paint. It is also bad for painted or clear-coated wheels.

Polishing does not protect metal. Properly, it only removes the oxidized particles and not the unoxidized metal -- albeit this does mean you lose some metal overall. A good metal polish product does contain some protectants, but not necessarily.

Citric acid eats aluminum. That's not cleaning, that's damaging. It's the equivalent of cleaning your table with sandpaper. It may get rid of the dirt, but it doesn't stop there. However, a quick exposure to a citric cleaner does far less to the block than a quick exposure to a petroleum-based cleaner does to your hoses and plastics. Besides which, a citrus-based cleaner does not affect oxidized aluminum, which is actually harder than the bare metal. So if you insist on polishing the aluminum in your engine, do it after you degrease/clean it.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Jason, no it isn't. I just contacted Simple Green and they told me that it is water based, and has nothing contained in the formula that would deem it a citrus-based or citrus cleaner.

Sleeker luvva. carlosfandango is on a distinguished road carlosfandango's Avatar
    carlosfandango has donated to the forums!

hmmm, I'm Director of Operations and Finance and 50% shareholder for 6 figure Professional Commercial Cleaning Company with 36 employees.

I may perhaps be able to suggest some useful information.

Wheel cleaners often have approxiamtely 9% Hydrochloric Acid and quickly breaks down brake dust, it casn damage laquered surfaces but not if it is rinsed away properly. Unless its the stuff I provide to unblock drainage systems, but I doubt it as it burns your skin quickly.

Citrus cleaners do not harm your wheels, they do however break down mineral, vegetable and animal oils, hence are used to clean engines. Citrus cleaners are harmless on aloys.

Oh, they are used to clean Marine Bilge Tanks and Slaughter Houses, and to clean after removal of dead bodies from furnished properties.

Citric acid, hmm, i used a lot of that during the UK foot and mouth epidemic - it rots steel, lots of farmers trucks will be rusted up by now.

well, hasnt this forum brightened up...

Previous Celica's - 90 185 JDM GT4 - 89 165 UK GT4 - 87 162 UK GT Convertible (nitrous 3SGE)

Now playing with;
    K6 Suzuki GSX1300R K6 Hayabusa. 9 sec qtr.
    RR-V Honda CBR900RR Fireblade.
    06 Mitsibushi L200 Animal. 410nm TQ @ 2,200rpm.

gen5

I always fill my bucket up inside in the tub with warm water a few times during wash. I was very liberal with the water this last time and very conservative with the purple power. I also washed the car again with soapy water after the pruple wash. Should be fine .

Sleeker luvva. carlosfandango is on a distinguished road carlosfandango's Avatar

gen 5 - I dont know what purple power is? what is the active content?

Previous Celica's - 90 185 JDM GT4 - 89 165 UK GT4 - 87 162 UK GT Convertible (nitrous 3SGE)

Now playing with;

Quote Originally Posted by gen5
    I always fill my bucket up inside in the tub with warm water a few times during wash. I was very liberal with the water this last time and very conservative with the purple power. I also washed the car again with soapy water after the pruple wash. Should be fine .
    what kind of "soap" was used in this "soapy water"?

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

Now that I re-read this, I can definitely tell you NOT to use purple power on your paint again. When I had the engine out of my car I used to to clean the engine bay before painting. After using it without diluting it for about 5 minutes, both my hands were stinging and so were my arms where it had dripped down my arms. It's DEFINITELY acidic, and I wouldn't get it on my paint if I were you.

Use a good car wash solution (I use Meguiars NXT) and clay bar. As previously mentioned, Goo Gone is good to use. If it's really tough, Napa sells some stuff in a little aerosol can called "Blue Max" or something similar to that. That's what I used to get off a thick coating of oil from the entire passenger side of my car after fixing a severe oil leak. I lost about 2 qts of oil without cleaning the car, so you can only imagine what thats like. The stuff cleans it right off and is completely safe for your paint. You just have to wash and wax afterward.

gen5

Quote Originally Posted by blck87gtconv
    what kind of "soap" was used in this "soapy water"?
    Some Black Magic junk I picked up for real cheap one day. It works okay, but it smells great though!

gen5

Quote Originally Posted by carlosfandango
    gen 5 - I dont know what purple power is? what is the active content?
    Bottle says it contains Alkaline detergents and 2-butoxyethanol (111-76-2).
    www.clean-rite.com is the manufacturer site but I couldn't seem to get onto it.

Bottle says it contains Alkaline detergents and 2-butoxyethanol (111-76-2).
    www.clean-rite.com is the manufacturer site but I couldn't seem to get onto it.
    Okay, yeah.. you DEFINITELY don't want that on your paint.

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

Some Black Magic junk I picked up for real cheap one day. It works okay, but it smells great though!
    You should try Meguiar's Soft Wash (I think it's been discontinued, though.. good thing I stocked up with a few bottles first.

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

Quote Originally Posted by blck87gtconv
    Okay, yeah.. you DEFINITELY don't want that on your paint.
    it also reacts to aluminium it wont harm the paintwork but it will strip all waxes off, but i personaly wouldnt leave it on my paint work for more then 10 seconds - it would be a quick wipe away for grease or oil then a soap and water rinse, then wax.

Now playing with;

Thread Information