CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: st165 sunroof

Thumbs up st165 sunroof

Alright, so I'm trying to think up as many things to do when I get home, and consequently spend as much money on getting stuff delivered so I don't have to wait once I'm actually home. I'm reviewing mental notes, and sunroof rust has come up, it's not bad yet, but I'd like to stop the problem all together. I tried getting in touch with redrkt, but alas according to post #114 he can't be bothered so I'm taking the DIY route.

I thought about trying my hand at fiberglass, I actually have a few friends at work who's sole purpose is patching/creating fiberglass parts for helicopters, and I've seen some pretty cool shit they made - but I think I'll save fiberglass for another day, I really like the idea of a glass sunroof (lexan!) see, it saves weight, it's functional aesthetically and in a performance sense. I'd like to keep my stock track/motor, and cut the lexan to replace the metal sheet and add my own seal to it, only time and practice will tell how well this goes.

I'm pretty sure .093" is sufficient for what I need, but can anyone throw up some quick napkin math for the sunroof panel? I'm having a hard time figuring out width and length, and I'd rather buy as little as I need, I'll likely just buy the 24x48 on an impulse.

I searched for "custom sunroof" and after going through 13 pages of threads, I decided just to ask here, but I've been failing with google lately, so if I missed something obvious don't rub it in too bad!

Thanks guys,
    Trey
    " So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it enables one to find or make a Reason for everything one has a mind to do. "

Other than leaky seals, is there a reason I shouldn't bother with this? I'd rather do this opposed to welding it shut, I like having a (clear)sunroof, or the idea of it at this point.

I see there was a group buy way back when for something similar, and some people have talked about it albeit for the 185's - any feedback on this would be appreciated, figured I'd make a new thread instead of zombie bumping everything else.
    " So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it enables one to find or make a Reason for everything one has a mind to do. "

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

If you can't get a hold of redrkt, you can try going through the original maker of the fibreglass sunroof as well: http://www.gt4.com.pl/polyurethane/i...=85&Itemid=113

Looks like out of stock but if you contact him he might be able to get one. I bought one for my brothers car direct from him.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 ST205 WRC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I contacted him before posting, he wants 80$ plus shipping, and he won't have any more stock for two months. I asked how much shipping was anyways, but when I ordered my ARB from Fensport, shipping was in the $100+ range.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

It was pretty reasonable when I got mine. I think I ended up paying like $140 usd shipped.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Thread Information