CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Battery Do you 5th gen guys/gals run?

Not sure if this belongs in the 5th gen or electrical.

But I'm curious to know what brand/size battery you 5th gen guys/gals run?

Having a bit of trouble with this winter in NY, this past weekend temp was in the low 10's and this morning, I go to turn the old girl over, and no dice (silly me also left the alarm on, and its extremely sensitive, especially with all the trucks, and guys with "tuned" exhausts riding up and down my street)

So with this said, I think my battery needs replacing to a bigger one, and I would like to get some ideas.

Thanks

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I've had great luck with the Optima series (yellow/red tops). I currently have a yellow top I'm going to use in my celica.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I run an Optima Yellow top in mine as I frequently leave it parked for a week or longer while traveling for work. D35 is the part number for them.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I've had bad luck with red tops, but good luck with the Yellow top. For your situation the yellow top would fit the bill. There are other quality battery's out there too, I haven't looked in a while. I'm going to have to start though since I stole my 165's yellow top to use in my 205. Possibly thinking Odyssey or something light weight as long as it still has decent CCA's.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    I've had bad luck with red tops, but good luck with the Yellow top. For your situation the yellow top would fit the bill. There are other quality battery's out there too, I haven't looked in a while. I'm going to have to start though since I stole my 165's yellow top to use in my 205. Possibly thinking Odyssey or something light weight as long as it still has decent CCA's.
    When you say "bad" luck, you mean? failure within a yr? months? DOA?

I'm kinda down n out and about 2 bite the bullet (cheapest way possible right now, as walking to work in sub 20's is not kicking it)

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath View Post
    I run an Optima Yellow top in mine as I frequently leave it parked for a week or longer while traveling for work. D35 is the part number for them.
    How does your yellow top fit? snug?

I have a buddy with a red top for sale, I'm trying to get the model #, but I see the 34R has about the same dimensions as the yellow, and then theres the 35 which is slightly larger, about 15-20mm all around.

He's selling for 60 flat, so I'm thinking it may be a good deal, if even just to get me through the winter

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I had two fail within a year and each time replaced on warranty. After the second one went, I upgraded to the Yellow top.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

If you are just looking for a quick fix and will upgrade later, go to an Interstate battery story and buy a blemished battery. They usually have small dents or such, but they are brand new batteries with nothing functionally wrong with them, just the visual blemish.

We just bought one for $45 for the st185 because we only needed a battery for a few months until we have the st165 rebuilt (hopefully before the Dragon). They offer like a 45 or 90 day warranty. I only drive that car once a week or less now that Chris is home. I take the train to work, and we take the 6g everywhere else because we have snow tires for it. Even with sitting for a week or more at a time without being started in Chicago sub zero weather, the car starts up every time.
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

I've been running an Optima Red Hat 75/35 battery in my 91 Celica ST since December 2006 with absolutely no problems. In fact, I have 3 Optima Red Hat batteries in my fleet of vehicles, none have had any failures or died yet. I have had 2 Exide Orbital batteries on one of my vehicles, both failed within a year (both started getting really hot, with the top of the case bubbling the gel out of it - alternator tested fine every time, switched to an Optima Red Hat and have run that for 3 years with no further problems). I'm not saying Red Hats are great, I just haven't had any problems with them. Yellow hats are very good for deep cycle and lots of pounding, as in boats, but I didn't think they offered much benefit in a car. Maybe others have experiences that suggest otherwise.

Also, Interstate sometimes sells returned batteries at their stores, ones brought back because the customer had a problem with it, but testing in the store did not reveal a problem. The store has to sell them as used, and often provides a steep discount on such batteries, if you are looking for something on the low cost side.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I've always used Duralast Gold. 8 year warranty and 3 year free replacement.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Quote Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
    I've been running an Optima Red Hat.
    Like Linux?

I have an Optima Yellow Top. It is a special gel cell battery that you can run in the trunk without ventilation. If you are racing, there are rules on how that is all installed, etc. I am moving mine to my trunk , confidently knowing, in a box, it will not gas.

Optima Yellow Top for me

Project Ava

I'm torn, red or yellow red or yellow....but red is my FAVORITE lol

Thanks for the input, seems the jury is out, and yellow is winning.

That and I havent heard back from my boy on the red top, so I'm thinking I'llg grab a yellow top, since I'm going 3sgte in the summer.

And if my battery fails, I'm sending you the bill! J/k

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
    Also, Interstate sometimes sells returned batteries at their stores, ones brought back because the customer had a problem with it, but testing in the store did not reveal a problem. The store has to sell them as used, and often provides a steep discount on such batteries, if you are looking for something on the low cost side.
    To my understanding, they sell both used batteries that have tested fine, and blemished batteries, which are new, but with small physical defects, both at steep discounts. They should inform you of exactly what they are selling to you, blemished or used.

I would agree with everyone on the yellow top. The Interstate suggestion was if you needed something low cost for the time being.
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

diehard gold...been good to me...no issues

I'd say superstart 24rextj they have a 3 yr free replacement and an 84 month warranty on them.
    Optimas only have a 2 year free replacement but they are pretty good batteries

CelicaTech Supporter bzdweezy is on a distinguished road bzdweezy's Avatar
    bzdweezy has donated to the forums!

Images

I bought an Optima from Pepboys and it came with a 3 year free replacement and no prorata warranty. jay4 you should ask your friend if he still has the warranty info on the red top just in case it fails you can get another one.
    1991 Celica Gt 313,000 miles
    2005 Celica Gt -
    7/9/10- Stage 3 clutch and flywheel installed
    8/24/10- Turbo kit and dyno complete

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I'm on a yellow.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

I had always used the standard battery from Kragen/checker/schucks, without issue, and conditions don't get much worse than here in minnesota...

Since Oreilley took over, the brand they switched to sucks (super start or whatever), i've gone through 3 in the last year. Sure i take it in and they give me a free replacement, but who wants to go through that hassle every couple months...

I also Have a Duralast gold top in my Durango, feeding a couple amps and fog lights, and have had no issues in the last two years.
    YARRR!

'92 GT - Auto, Second OwnerSOLD
    !
    '93 GT - S54 Trans, Megan Racing 2" coils, SOLD
    !

got myself a yellow top mm mmmmmmm.

I use some midget sized Interstate battery in my car. I have no clue what model it is but it came with the car. It's almost half the size of a regular battery, just as tall but skinny. (No its not a marine or motorcycle battery)
    Never failed me yet.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

CelicaTech Supporter bzdweezy is on a distinguished road bzdweezy's Avatar
    bzdweezy has donated to the forums!

Images

Sounds like a honda battery
    1991 Celica Gt 313,000 miles
    2005 Celica Gt -
    7/9/10- Stage 3 clutch and flywheel installed
    8/24/10- Turbo kit and dyno complete

All i know is that I had to make a custom battery bar to hold it in place, could almost fit 2 of them in the regular battery spot.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

I use duracell rechargeables in my remote

I just picked up an autozone cheapy last night. Don't know the brand, but I'll let ya know if it dies on me this winter yet

(I'm in MN too, and probably drive past Brak since I grew up in Bloomington and live in Shakopee and work in Richfield).

I used Costco/kirkland brand in my car (640 CCA size 35). Cheap battery. I had it for 2 winters now. I read there are only 3 battery manufacturers (ac delco, johnson cont) forgot the other one (i think they are made for walmart and sam's club - not sure though). Interstate, sears, autozone, kirkland/costco are made by johnson. I read they just placed different labels on it and then distribute to their respective stores just like buying mattresses.

Thread Information