CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 5sfe help needed-please! :)

Hello again- Ok, i jave a 91 celica gts 5sfe. I have a valve cover with a hole in it where a pcv valve/hose should be but it doesnt appear that theres anywhere for it to connect to, as ive seen in photos of other 5sfe engines. any ideas? thanks

so does it have the pcv valve?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

You should be able to tell where it goes based on that pic.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have two 5S-FE engines in my garage right now. The 1990 Celica valve cover has no PCV hole, the 1993 Camry valve cover has the PCV hole on the drivers side close to the throttle body. As you can see in the image below (from the Toyota EPC), the PCV was added on the 1992 model year and was not present on the earlier models. If you need to change your valve cover, send me a PM and I can sell you mine for $15 plus shipping cost.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fussellbug View Post
    I have two 5S-FE engines in my garage right now. The 1990 Celica valve cover has no PCV hole, the 1993 Camry valve cover has the PCV hole on the drivers side close to the throttle body. As you can see in the image below (from the Toyota EPC), the PCV was added on the 1992 model year and was not present on the earlier models. If you need to change your valve cover, send me a PM and I can sell you mine for $15 plus shipping cost.
    I have a 91' - it has both the PCV valve on the valve cover and the plug on the throttle body as shown in my pic. Perhaps it was included from 91' on? Or maybe only for CA emissions requirements.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Quote Originally Posted by Doowstados View Post
    I have a 91' - it has both the PCV valve on the valve cover and the plug on the throttle body as shown in my pic. Perhaps it was included from 91' on? Or maybe only for CA emissions requirements.
    With all due respect, after blowing up the picture you provided, I don't see the PCV valve on the valve cover or the plug on the throttle body, as you say is shown. Maybe it just isn't clear enough for me to see.

I do think I see a MAP sensor without a vacuum line connected to it, however. But again, it might be picture clarity for me.

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
    With all due respect, after blowing up the picture you provided, I don't see the PCV valve on the valve cover or the plug on the throttle body, as you say is shown. Maybe it just isn't clear enough for me to see.

I do think I see a MAP sensor without a vacuum line connected to it, however. But again, it might be picture clarity for me.
    If you look on the right side of the valve cover there is a hose in a u shape going to the front of the tb right by the throttle cable.

Quote Originally Posted by rizin View Post
    If you look on the right side of the valve cover there is a hose in a u shape going to the front of the tb right by the throttle cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by rizin View Post
    OK. If you look at the diagram posted by fussellbug, your engine is in the top view. It has that hose you describe and that is in your picture. The bottom engine has that same hose. What is different between the 2 engines in the diagrams is the one on the bottom has the PCV valve also (1992 on up) (take a look and just ID what is additional in the bottom engine diagram vs. the upper engine diagram).

The hose that makes that U-turn is not part of a PCV valve system - it is a relief for crankcase pressure if the crankcase becomes overpressurized from piston blowby.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post

No offense taken, especially because you are correct (as usual)!

I also thought that the u-shape hose connecting the side of the valve cover to the TB was the PCV. Guess I learned something new today.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Quote Originally Posted by Doowstados View Post
    No offense taken, especially because you are correct (as usual)!

I also thought that the u-shape hose connecting the side of the valve cover to the TB was the PCV. Guess I learned something new today.
    We all learning something new daily. If we don't, we stop growing. For me, I'm amazed by how much I learn everyday - it tells me how much I really don't know.

Thread Information