CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy How to install the original 3pc spoiler?

Hey folks

I've searched everywhere for a guide and even contacted the local Toyota dealership, but I just can't find a guide anywhere on how to install the original 3pc spoiler on my 1990 GSI.

Any of you got an official guide lying around, or can help me out on how to install it?

I assume the mid-part of the wing is going to be mounted with screws on the back of the car (in the middle of the wing), but how about the ends of it? And the 2 side-pieces?

Any help is really, really appreciated!

Thanks!

Daniel

Do you still have the holes exposed or have they been filled in? I have some pics of remounting mine in my project thread during the painting stage.

It's been a while since I messed with it but IIRC there are 6 nuts that hold the center piece in place, 2 on each post. The ends are a little trickier as they mount to 2 plastic pieces that mount to the car. For these, they are put into 2 holes and are held in place by a screw that expands the clips. The ends then go over those and are held in by 2 screws through them into the plastic pieces.

I know, kinda vauge but I'm sure if I can't get some pics up someone else will.
    There will come a day when you stop questioning my obsession with my car, swords and guns. Everyday after that you will be thankful the zombies didn't get your brain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheers, I think I got it.

The car has has never had a spoiler mounted, so unfortunately I don't have any holes or markers exposed from the last install.

I have all the plastic clips (or, at least so I was told by the former owner of the spoiler), so that shouldn't be a problem.

However, it got my thinking. Would it be possible to install it with epoxy/sikaflex? That would minimize any risk in regards of rust around the new drilled holes.

Treat ur new holes with a rust proofing paint then make sure to use some sealant around them as well so they won't leak

OREGON TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB LEADING MEMBER

You could certainly try using some sort of epoxy/adhesive for the side pieces but IMO you will be better off if you properly mount the center piece. It will only require 6 small holes drilled, just make sure your measurements are accurate.
    There will come a day when you stop questioning my obsession with my car, swords and guns. Everyday after that you will be thankful the zombies didn't get your brain.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

Ok, cheers.

Will think about it, although I'm not much for drilling myself. And I doubt I can get anyone to do it, unless I bring it to a shop and pay up. Hence why it would be a lot easier if it was possible to just have it glued on.

It would be possible to just mount it but you'd have to cut off the threaded posts that would go through the hatch/trunk. Either option is pretty straight-forward and requires a little work but the result should be the same.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

Thread Information