CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

In for updates. Keep up the good work
    1990 Alltrac

Well I figure the time has come to post something new, as little as it will be.

The move went smoothly as could be expected, AAA came out and loaded up the car with no questions asked. After it was in the truck I proceeded to make it a parts container for the haul and buried it under all of my other worldly possesions, then tore off across the country for home. The only things that didn't get put inside it were the transmission and the engine block.

AAA then came out again to unload the car when we got back on July 25th and I put in in the backyard next to the garage, and there it has sat ever since.

It did incurr some minor damage as things shifted inside the truck but nothing too major. A little rubbing from the wheels I put between it and the truck wall, and a gouge in the fender where something fell into it.

The up-side to the current situation is that my neighbor has decided to let me use her garage to work on the car since she doesn't use it. During the time that it was vacant she kept some "rescue" animals in there (she works with animal shelters and stuff) and they kind of made a mess of the place but with a little cleaning it'll be a decent workspace. For $40 a month though I can't really complain, not to mention the whole place is wired up so power won't be an issue, her ex used to build 4x4s al the time so he made the place a damn good workshop before he moved out.

I won't be moving it in right away as I have another car to finish before I start this one, but until I pick up the donor car I'm not really in too much of a hurry anyhow. Once things start moving forwad again I'll post some it up.
    There will come a day when you stop questioning my obsession with my car, swords and guns. Everyday after that you will be thankful the zombies didn't get your brain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

OMG, I think I love you!!!!!!

What moving truck was that, and how did you get it in the back of the truck?

I have been considering moving my AT to FL, but the cost of an auto transport company was just cost prohibitive.... Also, I have nearly my whole shop in AZ, which the moving transport would not work for.

Thanks!!!!!!

It's a 26ft. Penske moving van, but you could get away with anything 20ft. or more if you're just moving the car. I used a flatbed tow truck to load it. U-hauls have a lower bed and you could probably load it with car-ramps but it may be more expensive depending on the situation. For example a 22ft diesel truck and a 26ft diesel truck are the same price from Penske, I can't say for the other carriers.

BTW according to the plate inside the box, it's apparently "illegal" to transport a car this way, so you'll be doing it at your own risk. I didn't notice the sign until we were unloading it, lol.
    There will come a day when you stop questioning my obsession with my car, swords and guns. Everyday after that you will be thankful the zombies didn't get your brain.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Physlis View Post
    It's a 26ft. Penske moving van, but you could get away with anything 20ft. or more if you're just moving the car. I used a flatbed tow truck to load it. U-hauls have a lower bed and you could probably load it with car-ramps but it may be more expensive depending on the situation. For example a 22ft diesel truck and a 26ft diesel truck are the same price from Penske, I can't say for the other carriers.

BTW according to the plate inside the box, it's apparently "illegal" to transport a car this way, so you'll be doing it at your own risk. I didn't notice the sign until we were unloading it, lol.
    True, but U-haul has wheel wells that protrude into the storage area... (I used to rent Rider trucks, and we would use that as a sales tactic).

The car is in Arizona, and I live in Florida now, the prices I have been quoted are around $1000 to transport the car in an open truck door to door. I figure if I road warrior it, I can get phoenix to Dallas in a day, Relax in at my Buddy's in Dallas, and Dallas to Home in a day. The question is rental/fuel costs.

Rider and Penske look to be my biggest competitors for this job...

I know with my rental I got 12% off for being a AAA member and (I believe) another 10% for booking online so the truck itself came out to about $1,400 (22 or 26'). It would get ~300 miles between fill-ups averaging roughly $130 in diesel. If you're moving more than just the car this would be the way to go but if not the moving agency might be better.
    Last edited by Physlis; 09-21-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: discount and price updated

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

if you rent one of the bigger trucks with the loading dock height deck then you can easily just drive a car in at any handy loading dock. Thats assuming the car runs. Lots of storage rental places have a public access loading dock.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Nope, the engine and transmission are sitting on a pallet in my house in Florida... The rolling shell is sitting in my back yard in Arizona.
    The VIS Carbon Fiber hood Group Buy is CLOSED.

That was pretty much my situation too, that's why I called AAA and made a deal with the driver when they showed up.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

Figured I'd let you guys know what's going on since my last update. I still haven't gotten the new motor yet, I had to use some of the fund to cover expenses until I get another job. It may be a little bit before I can move much further with the project.

I did drop by the Toyota dealer the other day to get the history on the car. Turns out it's a 1990, not a '91, and was built almost 2 months to-the-day after my GT-S. About the only thing I couldn't find is where it was first sold but everything else matches what I was told/found out about it. I thought that was interesting.

Once I move the car next door I'll start cleaning everything up and post more.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

One year without an update...my bad guys.

Unfortunately the only thing that has happened since my last post was that I moved the AT over to the new garage, and then had to move it back out a few months later because the lady was in danger of losing the house, she didn't but I haven't moved the car back yet. I tried to do a little cleaning on some of the parts but didn't really accomplish too much since my budget was ~$0. In the last month or so I began working full time with the Reseves but a few hiccups in my pay and some unexpected bills with my GF have put me way behind on everything. Hopefully I can get enough saved for the new motor, maybe my CS parts, and some other odds and ends by the time my full time "training period" ends in July. By then, provided all goes well, I'll have everything I need to get the car running and I'll have a lot of extra time by going back on unemployment until I land a full time civilian job. No reason I cant ride it out for a few months while I build...

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

Thread Information