CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Ariel/Antenna not moving?

Hi guys, puzzling question. Due to the recent cold spell we've been having, my ariel/antenna (depending what you call it. The electric metal thingy at the back as it were) has stuck fully upright. The motor moves, do i know the motor hasn't died, but i'm wondering what might have broken?

Since the power is going to the motor, surely it couldn't be the motor? when it had no tell tale signs of going. Is it because of the ice the UK has recently had with everything freezing that the struts (or whatever) has broken, so the motor can't raise or fall the ariel/antenna?

Cheers, Pinkz

manually push it down, wow now you have a shorty antenna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OREGON TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB LEADING MEMBER

Probably the plastic teeth on either the motor or the cable for the antenna broke off.
    If you push it down while the motor is trying to pull it down it should go down, but it might go back up next time you turn the car on, it depends how badly the teeth are stripped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grease! Especially after it gets filthy, it'll stick when cold. Try cleaning it off and using new grease. Made a huge difference on my antenna...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

If the plastic track did break, you have to replace the antenna mast (that would be the electric metal thingy). Fairly simple procedure, about 30 minutes, and the mast cost me C$30.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Quote Originally Posted by alltracman78 View Post
    Probably the plastic teeth on either the motor or the cable for the antenna broke off.
    If you push it down while the motor is trying to pull it down it should go down, but it might go back up next time you turn the car on, it depends how badly the teeth are stripped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    If the plastic track did break, you have to replace the antenna mast (that would be the electric metal thingy). Fairly simple procedure, about 30 minutes, and the mast cost me C$30.
    Ok, so i pushed it down, and when i turned the radio on, it went back up, but still fails to go down. this would mean the teeth are screwed and i need to change my antenna?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Pretty much guaranteed you've got a broken track -- pushing it down re-engages the track with the motor. When it is extended, the motor pushes it up until the teeth no longer engage. Since the motor and track are now disconnected, it cannot pull it back down.

Be glad, the mast is much cheaper fix than the motor. Side note, make sure to re-install the drain tube on the bottom of the motor. Fast way to have water sitting in your quarterpanel if you don't.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Pretty much guaranteed you've got a broken track -- pushing it down re-engages the track with the motor. When it is extended, the motor pushes it up until the teeth no longer engage. Since the motor and track are now disconnected, it cannot pull it back down.

Be glad, the mast is much cheaper fix than the motor. Side note, make sure to re-install the drain tube on the bottom of the motor. Fast way to have water sitting in your quarterpanel if you don't.
    Thanks for the side note, will look into it. Cheers for the help (Y)

they sell them on ebay including the motor for about 20 quid, easier to change the whole thing than mess about stripping it down

I also would assume the plastic whip with teeth on it broke at the point the antenna is nearly fully extended, so it isn't engaged in the gear anymore when the motor wants to pull it down. You can put a new antenna mast w/whip in place of your old one, but you probably will have the broken part of that whip still down in the motor housing where the whip coils into when it is being pulled in. One should really remove the housing to pull out any broken part of the whip and regrease the housing with a grease that doesn't get so stiff in cold weather (like white lithium grease or similar).

I'm thinking what is sold on ebay isn't a factory antenna unit. You can try it, but I question how long it would last, how well it mounts to your car, and what kind of reception you will get. I've had broken whips before and always replaced the mast with a factory one.

Thread Information