CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Default Whose done fog light rewire?

So whose done fog light rewire?

http://celicaclub.tripod.com/foglights.html

I tried it and it didn't seem to work- I tried option 2 since I wanted option 2.

I did because I want my fogs to be on when my high beams are on.

I chopped two wires and option 2 didnt work, how useless. I think I may try option 1 later on.

So when I did it, I flipped high beams on and fogs turned off and switch didnt work. Switch worked after I turned off high beam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Sounds like you didn't accomplish anything -- do they still come on with the engine?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

I used option 2 and it worked fine. Sure you cut/attached to the right wire? You may have connected to the wrong end.
    Tommy

"On the first roll 7 or 11 is a winner, any other time 11 is irrelevant and 7 is craps after you establish the point, the point being 4,5,6,8,9, or 10. 2,3 and 12s are only relevant on the first roll and they’re craps, money gone but the dice stay, just cos I taught you the game don’t mean you know how to play it and damn sure don’t make you a hustler."

acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Yup still come on with engine.. pretty much nothing changed..

I'm sure I wired it properly. Wire closest to front of car (while in its holder) gets cut (which in my case is not red and white) then wire from relay end gets routed to fuse 9, right?

Member dan93st is on a distinguished road

Downingtown, PA (home); Lewisburg, PA (school)

I noticed you're from Canada. I remember reading somewhere that the foglights on Canadian Celicas also function as the daytime running lights, where as on the U.S. Celicas they do not. Perhaps that could be the issue? Somehow the relay is wired up differently on U.S. vs. Canadian cars? I'm not 100% sure on that, but just a thought.

Gairloch

I successfully did this. I used option 1.

I did not have any wiring and made mine work using a sinlge switch with all the stock wiring. I didnt have fogs so i jumped the relay, and put a switch on, i need to turn them on now, but its good for me cause i have control over them..

Leme know if ya wanna know how to do it, its really easy

So which wire should I chop in my Canadian GTS?
    The fogs are DRL so the fog switch doesn't work. Now if you flip on the headlights, the fog switch works. Now if you highbeam, it turns off the fogs. What I want todo is wire it so the DRL can be turned off/on with the switch and won't turn off when the highbeams are on.

I dunno how to do what you want, I would need to study a schematic for a while to see. I used an external switch, like one for the auto parts store, So i need to flip it on and off when i want fogs..I only used the stock wiring in the car.

i was thinking about doing that too..... i'll go take a look and see what i can find too

Mei Capilli Sunt Flagrantes Arcias is on a distinguished road
    Arcias has donated to the forums! Arcias helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Any update on this? It's something I've been thinking of doing too...

Originally Posted by Azzazzyn
    omfg you so teh rawk arcias. your the awesomest evar

Senior Member RickyNo will become famous soon enough

I just had a look at the electric wirings... it's quite complicated and the US rewiring method will not work on a Canadian model, it has many differences.

The retract control relay circuit is quite complex too, it takes a good look and analysis to understand it, find the parts on the car and mod it. Also, the internals of the relay, at input plug, concerning the fog lights, are not displayed on the diagram, neither are the output ones for it.

Maybe someone has done it and can explain how he processed, or get a diagram and think.
    You morons have vacancy signs on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!

Someone have the diagram for the fog switch? I wanna know what pinouts are what

My 1990 Canadian runs the fogs during the day, and the dash lights are on. I'm not sure if someone has rewired the car, or this is daytime running lights.

Also can anyone tell me the dash light colors? Mine are red. My Supra is Green, I find it odd.
    1990 Toyota Celica GTS
    Tranny swap done!
    Fix the Fender that Avalanche backed into...

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
    Buncha Mods!
    400ish Hp

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
    All Rebuilt and Stuff!
    320hp or so

Quote Originally Posted by acidice333
    Someone have the diagram for the fog switch? I wanna know what pinouts are what
    from --> to (wire color code)
    For Canada wiring, you might get confused, i would.

fog light relay PIN2 --> retract control relay PIN6 of connector B (P-B)
    retract control relay PIN1 of connector B --> fog light switch PIN6 (R-W)
    fog light switch PIN3 --> jumpbox#3 to ground (W-B)

fog switch activates fog light relay pins2&3 to close circuit and let fog light relay pins1&4 feed the fog lights connected in parallel on pin4.

Confused enough? diagram in the face makes it easy... and now that i look at it... connecting fog relay pin2 (P-B) to fog light switch pin6 (R-W) makes it a US system, bypassing the retract control relay which must control the hi-beams vs fogs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsoup
    My 1990 Canadian runs the fogs during the day, and the dash lights are on. I'm not sure if someone has rewired the car, or this is daytime running lights.
    Rewired, dash lights should not come on if light switch is not turned on to 2nd notch. Your's probably customized and colored too.

Got a picture instead? (:
    So what bypasses the fog switch and turns on the DRL (fogs)?

2-YOTA

I've performed this modification on my Canadian MR2 (with DRL's). I did a write-up on this many years ago and someone had posted my "how to's" on an MR2 site somewhere (unfortunately, I don't know where it is).

I would figure the Celica's would be similiar to the MR2's DRL's. The way I have it wired is that the fog lights will ONLY turn on with the manual fog switch. The fogs can be turned ON regardless of whether the headlights/highbeams are on/off. Also, the parking lamps no longer illuminate with the DRL function. Now, the parking lamps/dash lights will only turn on when the lamp switch is turned to the parking lamp setting. So basically, all the lights on my MR2 now are manually activated.

I'd have to look at the wiring schematics again to figure out exactly what I had done to make the above work. What I do remember is that you have to do the re-wiring at the retractor control relay. There are a couple wires that you will need to bypass the relay as well (doesn't help much without the wire colors does it?).

I haven't got around to re-wiring my Celica yet. It's been on my list of projects one of these days. The one thing that does bother me with doing this mod to the Celica is that you could easily forget and leave your fog lights ON after turning off your car and draining the battery. Unlike the MR2, there is no "fog light indicator" on the dash of the Celica to remind you that the fogs are still on. So you may wish to wire up something ... say to your door chime as a reminder when your fogs are still on after you shut down the car!

Yep..
    Except I want to wire up my fogs to one of the wires that have power when igntion is on ON. To wire it up so I can turn it on when my car is off is just silly.
    And umm someone wanna tell me what the retractor control relay is?

I followed the directions and it came out great.
    microscan4g: mine rubbed too. ... hmm.
    microscan4g: we just yanked.
    microscan4g: him from one side and me from the other
    microscan4g: u lubed it up real good right.
    SeanGTS91: I got a buddy coming in a bit, perhaps he'll solve this spacial ability issue
    SeanGTS91: yeah
    SeanGTS91: but does your rub whenyou drive it?

Quote Originally Posted by acidice333
    And umm someone wanna tell me what the retractor control relay is?
    It's a electronic device which has numerous wires going to and coming from. It must control the way all the lighting works: daylight, switch fog off when high-beams, etc. On the diagrams we only see a portion of the inside, not everything so the best way to know exactly is to find, open and analyse it's inner circuits.

Here's what's going to it, coming from:
    - ECU-IG fuse
    - RTR fuse
    - Tailight Relay
    - Brake warning light
    - Alternator's "L" terminal
    - Fog Light Relay

And this is what's coming out of it, going to:
    - Dimmer Light Switch (high, low + flash) + High Beams indicator
    - Fog light switch
    - Clock
    - A/C control assembly
    - Parking Brake switch
    - Light Control Switch
    - Light Retract Motors

Considering all that, telling you to rewire this or that one without a picture is quite hard. If i had a scanner i'd post a pic of the diagram but, i don't have one. Sorry.

I'll try something with Visio, i should be able to recreate the diagram and post it.

Thread Information