CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 185 pulling 3 bad codes...

hey everyone, just finished my 185 swap and FINALLY took it out today for a test drive. man oh man it was sweet! but after 20mins or so of driving, it started acting wierd. everytime i punched it, it would hesitate, launch, then stutter. this only happened when i would floor it.

the codes i pulled are 24, 32, and 34.

24:Intake air temp sensor signal
    Diagnosis:Open or short in intake air temp. sensor circuit
    for 0.5 sec. or more (THA)

32:Airflow meter signal
    Diagnosis:Open circuit in E2 or short circuit between VC and
    VS

34:Turbocharging pressure signal
    Diagnosis:Excessive turbocharging pressure (fuel cut)

these code diagnostics and explanations are from turbocelica.nl

any idea on how to fix these codes?
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check your AFM and the wiring for it. The first 2 concern it.
    The third MIGHT be related as well.

Did you boost hard when you test drove it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I bet it is something to do with your VC wire. This is your +5V constant power supply that provides power to all of those.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

^I'll go with Chris on this one. This was the same problem I was having after my swap and apparently it is pretty common. The VC wire wasn't making a tight connection at the ECU harness. Try cranking the motor and wiggle those wires at the ECU. If there is a bad connection you'll here the engine running differently as you wiggle them.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Alright. Let me figure out which one is the vc to begin with lol.

As for boosting, yes I did. And now everytime I put the pedal to the medal it stutters.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

It definitly could be the VC wire.
    However if it is it will probably be after the splice for the TPS [uses the VC wire too].

Code 34 normally means you ran too much boost. When the ECU sees this it thinks there's a mechanical problem and will cut fuel any time it sees any boost at all. That's what your stuttering is.
    What you need to do is clear the codes, then take the car for a test drive WITHOUT boosting [or just stay very low] and see what codes pop up.

If only the AFM codes return [24 & 32] then it's probably something in the AFM [or you got wires mixed up].
    If all 3 return then take a look at that VC wire.

Thread Information