CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

So I go into Autozone yesterday to exchange some wire for a different gauge with the receipt. I give him the receipt and the wire, and the boy tells me to get the wire I want and bring it to the counter. Then he exchanges the items and gives a new receipt. I didn't notice the new receipt for about about 30 seconds until I started walking out the door at which time I turned around and asked the boy for the original receipt because there were other parts on there and I needed proof that I bought them so I can show the owner of the car I am working on. He says he can't find it, then briefly checks the garbage can and says he doesn't know what happened to it. I am like wow, he didn't even really check!? The he goes down the aisle and comes back and asked me if there was something else he could help me with??? I am like wtf!!? I am not leaving without the original receipt that just disappeared within the last minute an a half. I am thinking how far gone can a receipt get between a chair and a counter?? There is nobody else in the store but 2 or 3 other employees sitting around talking to each other. So I said can you reprint the receipt if you can't find it, thinking he would check again and just find it. Then the manager gets involved, some 75 year old man starts looking on the computer for my old receipt asking me questions. I played along at first then finally after like 30 more seconds I asked if I can look in that garbage can? Sure enough it's right f$#*ing there, next to the other 3 or 4 receipts in the can! If you want something done right you have to do it yourself. We all hate having to deal with a work sucks person at a dead end job! Don't let the smile fool you and always say YOUR WELCOME for my patronage (not thank you), even if you don't hear a thank you after the cashier hands you the cash back and gives you a dumb look or no look. I usually take a breath, hold it, point at them and say your welcome, then leave. lol This one goes in the rant catagory.
    91 Celica GT Coupe
    Knowledge builds confidence.
    Money, time and effort gets it done.
    Experience gets it done better and faster.

In my area theres about 4 real options. Autozone, Advance, Pepboys, and Salvos. Salvo is a local chain around Baltimore, Maryland of 9 stores. I work in Salvo actually, just came home from work. I have to say though, with the amount of inventory and variation over the years and makes of vehicles plenty of mistakes will happen. So honestly the best way to walk out what you wanted to is to:

1. if at all possible, bring the old part with you, it makes things much easier.

2. have as much info as possibly ready, most of the time we're working off of vague texts descriptions so it can take a lot of deciphering to get what is wanted.

3. if its an obscure part, dont get angry if they dont have it. most places will not bother to carry little parts which are not usually a replaced part. I mean my store has more available inventory than all the other chains in the area but we can only have so much.

4. It can take some time to really find what you need and from doing this possibly all day long we can get jaded and angry so if an employee makes an effort regardless of the outcome, be appreciative please, it just makes our day that much easier and more pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by airoscar
    rock auto is pretty good for buying online, i personally think that they offer the best price over many other internet store.
    but i like to go to a local store to order parts, cos sometimes when you get wrong part you can just go there and replaced, no shipping fee and waiting and all that crap.
    i live in canada and in my city there are three PartSource stores and they are have guys that know cars too, its helpful.
    small stuff like filters and such canadian tire carry them for less and sometimes they give them for free with purchase of oil.
    many small parts, (like IAC valve gasket) i just have to get it from toyota cos no one else carry them, and they are cheap just a few bucks. but big parts are expensive, toyota carry a passenger side drive axle half assembly for about 500 bux which is rediculous, lol.
    I agree! I ordered a radiator a couple of months ago. Took 5 days to get to SD but nice people to deal and cheaper than autozone or kragen. I bought a spectra radiator for $130 shipping included which retails in kragen or autozone for $180

I don't know about rock auto, I have got a lot of good parts from them, but the celica exhaust they sent me was simply about 16" too short.

I like their prices though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Hi all, New to the board, Great site with lots of info.

I usually buy from whoever can provide the part cheaper.

Trying to maintain a 1992 celica ST.

Did a timing belt swap last weekend after the belt broke. (150K miles, I believe I swapped at 80K or so before.)Got the parts at Advance, Including a Camshaft seal and Valve cover kit.

I had been living with A LOT od engine vibration all over the car, so I finally bought the left and right mounts at the dealer. Close to $180 each.

Did that today and WHAT a difference.

I'm in the middle of a left axle shaft now. The part was hard to get from Advance since they claim they can't order the left for my car. The right I had no problems with when I swapped about 2 months ago.

I was going to just buy the inner boot when a manager at one of the advance stores told me he could get it for me. He did. So today I pop the old one out (after 2 hours of struggles to get it off the transmission) then I pop the new one in (TOO LONG BY half an inch or so) I should've known better than to trust them.

I did a quick check outside but attributed the extra length to new boots or what not.

It seems that the outer hub is a little longer. (After 2 hours of prying and banging I gave up trying to take the new one out. Will try again tomorrow)

I also seem to have a leak on the power steering, The right boot on the steering rack is torn, maybe from the oil? and the back of the pump seems to show drops of oil. I might need both, not looking forward to taking those out. :TB:

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

I've had similar experiences to many here.

In the past I've bought many parts for my Mopar cars - usually I would buy my parts from NAPA or the dealer for "serious" stuff and either Advance or Autozone for more mundane parts.

NAPA is more expensive, but you always get quality stuff from them.

I had purchased both an alternator and battery from Advance for a Toyota pickup - when the alternator failed about two years later causing the battery to be overcharged, Advance not only gave me a new battery and alternator under warranty, but installed them too, right there in the parking lot!

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

autozone sucks, some of their people don't even know what an older coil looks like
    ST165

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Hello guys. I personally buy from a place called. Arch autoparts. They preety good all around, No problems on returns and usually really good prices and good inventory...

NAPA.......all the way baby.

Monkey with a screwdriver kungFUBAR is on a distinguished road kungFUBAR's Avatar
    kungFUBAR has been to an annual Dragon Meet! kungFUBAR has donated to the forums!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Milkshakes View Post
    1. if at all possible, bring the old part with you, it makes things much easier.

2. have as much info as possibly ready, most of the time we're working off of vague texts descriptions so it can take a lot of deciphering to get what is wanted.

3. if its an obscure part, dont get angry if they dont have it. most places will not bother to carry little parts which are not usually a replaced part. I mean my store has more available inventory than all the other chains in the area but we can only have so much.

4. It can take some time to really find what you need and from doing this possibly all day long we can get jaded and angry so if an employee makes an effort regardless of the outcome, be appreciative please, it just makes our day that much easier and more pleasant.
    QFT
    Remember kids, speed kills. So do forks.

It's a work in progress...Dragon 2011 2012?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Anybody happen to know of a store somewhere in Canada or overseas that I can order parts online from for a JDM engine (st205/215, etc).

I've been looking around but most of the places won't sell to US

Personally, I stick with CSK or Napa for my parts now.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

check out http://www.ebay.co.uk/ for jdm parts, just don't forget about the money conversion.
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Do you guys have any input on PepBoys Auto? Good or bad?

bad, they dont know there stuff.
    ST165

oreillys is crap we went through 3 clutches in 40,000 miles from them. the first one broke and was under warranty i installed it when 1/2 mile up the road and it broke and was covered under warranty. I went to get it and they had the balls to tell me i dont know what im doing they were not happy after the speach i gave them they were not happy... So i only go there on emergency only.

v8's are like tampons.. Every pussy has one.

sorry you had a bad experience, i always try to help the customer as much as i can.
    ST165

NAPA all the way. shucks is ok but thier employees here seem to give two shits about your problems with the car. Napa has always tried their hardest to understand not only what part i want. but why im getting the part and if i need any advice. plus Napa has the only machiene shop left in town.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Baxers. I needed a new vbelt for the alternator on my '90 GTS and had to go back three times, the third time I just borrowed a friends car and took the belt in with me. then I ordered new hydraulic arms for my trunk, and asked them to call me when they came in becasue they had to be ordered from San Fran, and they didn't know exactly when they'd be there. they never called.

after that I gave up and started going to a locally owned place called Mikes. they have all the right brands, and their guys know what they're talking about. they've been able to order in everything I've needed so far (although nothing too exotic) although, their prices might be just a little bit higher than the competition. I can also walk over there, so that's a big plus in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtuner View Post
    Do you guys have any input on PepBoys Auto? Good or bad?
    Bad.

Advance is no better. I had a problem with one of there rebuilt master cylinders. He tried to convince me there was no hydraulics from the master cylinder. It was all in the brake booster. Nothing hydraulic about the master cylinder? Are you serious? Then he started telling me of his experience as a dealership parts guy. Yeah, right.

99% of the time they don't have a clue. Funniest one ever was when my buddy brought his Chevy Blazer diesel to Autozone. The guy behind the counter was so convinced he knew where the spark plugs went that he popped the hood to show off his superior automotive knowledge. He even brought the plugs with him!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

O'reilly Bellevue, WA- The staff aren't usually knowledgeable, but they have inexpensive parts. They don't have nuts and bolts. They have a good selection of generic stuff like car cleaning supplies and spray paint. Issaquah location is about the same.
    NAPA - is my favorite place. The staff are really knowledgeable and helpful. they carry lots of nuts and bolts and washers. They also have a good selection of tools and sockets. They are pricey though. The Issaquah location has a better selection of stuff than the Bellevue, but the guys at Bellevue have been just as helpful to me.
    Sears - Good tools, reasonably priced for their quality.
    Toyota (parts dep.) in Renton - Staff has been really helpful to me and has given me advice. I get Toyota parts whenever I can.
    Olympic Brake Supply- I've been told they are good for axles and brakes and all sorts of stuff. I went there to find an axle for my all-trac though and they didn't carry it. They did refer me eleswhere where I might find one though.
    Tacoma Screw- Best place to get any type of nut/bolt/screw etc.. Have all different grades of metal too.
    Ebay - Roll the dice. Been sent the wrong axle twice now. I have got my money back though.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

Never EVER buy Ultima brand alternators from O'Reilly's. Went through four of them within a couple of months. They don't replace the voltage regulators, meaning, they don't really reman the alternator. Spent nearly a month troubleshooting a "wiring problem" that never existed to begin with. If the diodes in your alternator aren't bad, replace the voltage regulator and brushes yourself with a kit from eBay and save yourself $100 and a lot of unnecessary stress. Also, bench tests mean nothing in a lot of cases.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

呉音^ nerdy asian kid 唐音 l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w is a splendid one to behold l0ch0w's Avatar
    l0ch0w has donated to the forums!

Images

. wrong thread

for me orilleys i got a friend there that is knowledgable and if i cant figure it out whats wrong he can plus he gives me discoints lewis toyota for seals and parts no longer made u pick it for parts the would cost me a arm and a leg in fact i got a 3sgte out of there that im rebulding for my swap ats racing for engine parts andy auto sports for body shocks and brakes so

btw advanced new cv shafts are made to fit but dont fit ive ran into that three times on a civic, a accord and my toyota so i quit goin there

Thread Information