CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Auto parts stores and you

ok in this thread you can post your dealings with quality and prices in parts , also how good are the places with their warrentys

ill start off

AutoZone

basicly one of the cheapest stores ive been too. They have pretty good warrentys and have a good deal of toyota oem style parts. Prices are usally pretty good too. There parts are usally good Quality but stay away for items made by valucraft.

ill add more comments later but u get an idea
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

I'm a big fan of Checker. They seem to stock a lot of odd parts (PCV valve grommets, for example) as well as having sales on the stuff you need a lot (oil, etc).

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

sloceli

AutoZone=bad, ordered drivers side half shaft received wrong one.
    Scucks, Checker, Kargen, Advanced, chk are great. For military they provide a 10% discount. Beware of schucks breaks, their computer has wrong rotors for front breaks of GT and GTS models. Tried to sell me 4 lug first and rear disc before finding the right ones.

For small stuff (PVC grommets, bolts) i just go to toyota and buy them.

its only a buck or two.

when i replaced my pvc i bought 2 grommets from advanced and 3 from autozone trying to get it to fit.

went to toyota and bought one. pvc now was in my VC, not wedged on top.

also i wanted to say the same about seals.

i redid my calipers and got some brake hose capliper washers from autozone.

i almost shit myself when i was backing up and lost all brake pressure.

did the same thing w/ the toyota washer and it sealed correctly.
    microscan4g: mine rubbed too. ... hmm.
    microscan4g: we just yanked.
    microscan4g: him from one side and me from the other
    microscan4g: u lubed it up real good right.
    SeanGTS91: I got a buddy coming in a bit, perhaps he'll solve this spacial ability issue
    SeanGTS91: yeah
    SeanGTS91: but does your rub whenyou drive it?

I would have to agree that AutoZone is crap.
    I've had more than one problem with incorrect parts. Mostly for the Alltrac.
    I try to stick with factory parts for almost everything excpet oil.
    Stuff usually fits better, works better, and lasts longer.
    The exception being the 22R in my truck. Some of the OEM stuff isn't as good as aftermarket. Mostly because Toyota refuses to update the parts, but the aftermarket will.

Advance Auto is also crap. I had a total of 4 parts from them that were not correct. First was a windshield washer pump, then a right front axel that was an inch too short, then a radiator and therostat that did not fit in the car. In the end I ended up talking to the east cost manager for Advance and did get money for the core for the axel.
    Bruce

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

I work for CSK (Checker/Shucks/Kragen) and I can officially say they kick major ass. We pricematch EVERYTHING, so if you get a price from autozone or somewhere, bring us the price and we'll beat it by 5% Just to spite them And yeah, we give 10% military discounts too, on top of the price matching and 5%

It's true about the brakes though for most applications it's right, but I ALWAYS check the raybestos catalog to make sure, especially for audi/vw.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

id like to be the 2nd person not to recomend buying axels from autozone aka CCT. i went through like 3-4 .... they just kept giving me worng ones or ones that were just broken in the box. horrible
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

CSK is west coast I guess...I'm in ohio right now and its pretty much just autozone and advanced. I prefer Advanced...I've owned a jeep for the past 4 years so Im used to buying the hard parts from catalogs, never at the store. We'll see how it goes with the celica.

Spank

I'm in ohio as well and I go to International Parts Store. They 're a pretty small chain, somewhere around 6 in ohio, but they're prices are awesome. I usually get my oil, Royal Purple, there. Plus, they gave me prices for my whole shopping list of parts (that they carried).

Oreilly's is a pretty delecious shop...maybe its cuz my friends work there and i get ALL warranty free shit....but its still a good lil' place

I find that advance auto is better for picking up oil filters, oil, windshieldwiper blades, etc.. Not serious parts. Their staff isn't paid enough so they aren't professional

NAPA?

Never had a problem with them except their prices. Don't know about the rest of the country, but around here that's what all the professionals use. They are VERY helpful and knowlegable.

autozone is pretty good with their warranty, ive taken back alot of stuff to them, they gave me the wrong brake pads once, but they exchanged them for me no problems, ive returned radiators, clutches, motor mounts, a whole lot of stuff.

checker-i dont liek them, most of the people that work there are noobs, they dont know anything about cars, and it is always extremely hard to explain some parts to them. I have also gotten alot of parts from them that have been wrong.

Napa is awsome, the people there have great knowledge abotu cars and parts, and they carry alot of unique parts. but they are kinda far from me so i usually go to autozone.
    i miss my celica

Talk about old... seems that I am posting in reeeealy old treads lately hehehe... but here it goes:

Autozone - why - because most of the guys that work there are major ricers (at least in my town they are hehehehe). The emplyee lot is full of riced up honda's and acura's.

Napa - why - It has its own garage here, most of the guys that run the store are also certified machanics that work in the shop.

Never will I shop in the local checkers again. Service sucked ass and the guys and girls that worked pushed my patience to the limits when I had to explain to them what a driveshaft gasket was and where it was located.

Ditto Advance Auto - although I do have to say that they seem to carry parts that no one else has in stock... go figure.

And for nuts and bolts... cheapest place for me to go to is the local hardware store. $1.25 for washer at the dealership or $.03 at the hardware store? They have the same rating, you decide...

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I get my parts either from Napa, or Autozone.

Napa is a little more expensive, but the service is worth it. I have had them sit with me for hours searching through bolts and washers to make my own engine kit, never a word of complaint, always as helpful and knowlegable as you could desire. They know what they are talking about, here in town we have the shipping warehouse and garage. It is almost the small town feeling of going to your local mechanic.

Autozone is cheap. You will have to argue with the desk jockey for an hour because he really knows your car better than you, and anything you have done to your car was wrong. They don't start to get nice till you have brought the same part back 4 times. But they are cheap.

I don't bother with Advance because it is just like Autozone, but more expensive. Pep Boys is an utter joke, and they even have a garage. I don't even bother to call them on price checks anymore. We have an O'Reilly's in town. I have never really tried them. I think of them as just another chain store.

When I grew up you had two places to get parts, the junkyard/dealer or your local mechanic, who got them from the junkyard/dealer and charged your 30% more.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Kragen is the best around here and they will take your used oil like most other major auot part stores. They have cheap prices on everything and good customer service but it all depends on who works there. I got my reman axles from them and a new battery plus many other little misc parts. I always call Toyota, Kragen, Autozone, Pepboys, Napa, and a few local auto part stores to compare prices before i buy. If feel that a certain part is a rip off at all of these places, then i will call TAP auto recyclers in Fresno. Then if they dont have it then pick and pull is my last option and that means i have to drive half an hour and search through the junkyard myself, which is the cheapest way but then again its kind of like a odd treasure hunt and the one part i need will ned up being taken.

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

down here, its Napa, O'reily, Advance, and Autozone
    and they are all seriously within a mile of each other i can see the autozone and Napa from the O'reily parkin lot, hahahha. so i just go to all of em and get stuff. although for important stuff ill usually hit toyota. i also had advance give me the wrong CV axel twice . hahaahha. o and advance is no good with belts either. haha. later

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Here it's O'Reilly, Autozone, Advanced, NAPA, and CarQuest.

NAPA and CarQuest are alot alike; nice, experienced, helpful people who will gleefully rip you off by charging you lots of extra money for the exact same part. And OMG tools are outrageous.

O'Reilly and Autozone are alot alike; they know about as much as they've figured out by working a parts counter. A few of them have done generic swaps in Mustangs or Civics, but are going pretty much solely off what their computer tells them. They'll match each other's prices but not before you argue with them.

Advanced is big, spacious, pretty, and kind of silly. Sometimes they have great crews, sometimes they fill the store with 17y/o girls. It's a crap shoot. I tend to avoid them, but there's really not one near me ATM.

recently i just replaced my halfshaft on a 93 GT. I got the part at Autozone, one thing that i will say is make sure you take everything imaginable off the thing, because the remans will vary like crazy (what dust covers will be pressed on etc). I saw one that had almost nothing on it and another that even had the center bearing case pressed on.

Around me I have Schucks,Napa,Autozone,knechs,baxters.

Schucks - I go there alot. They have good prices for my budget. 95% I end up with right part. But I find that alot of the things that i need have to be put on order. I got a water pump from them and my car is over heating if it turns out to be the pump im going to raise hell.

Napa- The people there are very knowledged. They know what they are talking about. They are normally my last bet. Soley because the prices are very high. But they always have what im looking for. Never have to order parts from them.

Autozone- I hate that place. They have arabs and mexicans that don't know english that work there. I always end up with the wrong pars. My brother Ordered a timeing belt from them. They said it was going to be there in 3 days. Went in and it was in Arizona. They said sorry we shipped it to the wrong place. It will be here in another 3 days. Turned out to be the wrong belt all togeather. Did I mention I hate that place.

also if u cant find it anywhere else

ebay is your best friend

u guys must have the worst autozones ever, cause i always get good parts from mine and discount advance usally skrews up
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Failed Alltrac user InitialD93 is on a distinguished road InitialD93's Avatar
    InitialD93 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! InitialD93 helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! InitialD93 helped get Play's clutch job done.

i usually go to Napa or O'Rielly if i feel too cheep for Toyota parts. Napa's stuff has been exelent and O'Rielly is usually just as good as Napa for parts but their service isnt as good.
    Dustin, Toyota Tech
    1990 All Trac w/ RC bumper, converted to 93 spec
    2010 Toyota Corolla S
    1979 Malibu (more go fast, less suck)
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

sloceli

Quote Originally Posted by InitialD93
    i usually go to Napa or O'Rielly if i feel too cheep for Toyota parts. Napa's stuff has been exelent and O'Rielly is usually just as good as Napa for parts but their service isnt as good.
    The only reason I go to Napa is for oil and cleaning supplies e.g. degreaser or 3M buffing/polishing pads other wise its Toyota. I know its overpriced but it has been proven time and time again that OEM is the best.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

Never EVER buy Ultima brand alternators from O'Reilly's. Went through four of them within a couple of months. They don't replace the voltage regulators, meaning, they don't really reman the alternator. Spent nearly a month troubleshooting a "wiring problem" that never existed to begin with. If the diodes in your alternator aren't bad, replace the voltage regulator and brushes yourself with a kit from eBay and save yourself $100 and a lot of unnecessary stress. Also, bench tests mean nothing in a lot of cases.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Thread Information